1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thabo Sefalosha

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RichieBanks, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you, I don't think he can performance wise either.

2. Nook

Nook Member

To do what?

jnuge90 likes this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

To scrub Russ's jock with baking soda and a toothbrush? A scrub to scrub?

daywalker02 and Nook like this.
  4. Chamillionaire

Was it me or did Noah play surprisingly well towards the end last year? Dante Cunningham or Jerebko? Man, talk about the bottom of the barrel. Are they better than Gark Clark at this point?

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He can easily take Green's minutes though IMO depending on how the game is going. If close game, I would rather have Thabo playing 12-18 minutes a night than Green, especially in the playoffs. Green is still an asset but would be nice to have both of them. Thabo can still be a productive player playing 12-18 minutes a night (more like 12-15) but I am sure D'Antoni would fall in love with him if he still has anything to give on defense. I don't see why he couldn't for short stints on the court. Also, he has had an almost 60% TS percentage the last 2 seasons with Utah while shooting 43% from distance. He is my #1 vet min target unless Iggy gets bought out. Also need another vet min Center (would welcome Noah, Nene, etc.) as a 3rd string center or 2A/2B to Tyson Chandler.

RichieBanks and Nook like this.
  6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Somewhat good point but House may play more minutes at the 4 than the 3 spot? Also, Harden may get some run at PF when we go small? I like your minute distribution but think House may split time at the 3 & 4 and we will occasionally be crazy and put a 4 guard lineup out there which includes Harden at the 4. This allows for Thabo to play 12-15 minutes for 60 games or so in the regular season. Even if there aren't enough minutes for him, I would much rather have Thabo waiting in the wings to give us quality minutes than an unknown or relying on Gerald Green even though I love the guy. Thabo gives us something we don't consistently have at the wing position and that is length and above average defense.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thabo averaged about 12 minutes a game (3.8 ppg, 2.5rpg) in Utah last season despite being exactly the kind of player they love. Ariza was playing like 35+ minutes per game with us. I wouldn't mind Thabo as a back up on a minimum contract but to expect him to fill the Ariza role at his age is unrealistic.

RichieBanks, Nook and treyk3 like this.
  8. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I'd rather take Slumpert back.

9. chinesemamba

chinesemamba Member

big pass on thabo... we need shooters.

10. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

We should go for Jaxson Hayes. We would've beaten GS with him last year.

/sarcasm

11. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

But in all seriousness. Thabo is done IMO. He's in the stage of his career where he's just getting checks as long as he can. I wouldn't look for him to contribute on a championship team in any level.

12. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

The older the better. When they get hurt we can pick up somebody even better!

Am I spewing my nonsense correctly? Some of you have made this into an art form!

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They also had a tight rotation with Ingles and Crowder playin Thabo’s exact position and role.

Rockets don’t have nearly as much depth.

Thabo is a better defender then Ariza, he shoots a good % on his 3PT shots too, but nowhere near the volume Trevor shoots.

It’s insane to me how people were slobbing on Iggys nob but want to blow off Thabo for the vet min. Thabo is by FAR the best wing defender left, him and Moute. In fact he’s elite. He’s exactly what we need with our vet min, who cares if all he can play is 10-20 mpg for 40 games, I’ll take it.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

what's so insane? thabo is no where near the player iggy is

thabo is nothing more than a warm body to throw in every once in awhile in a blowout. iggy is proven difference maker especially in the playoffs. any rockets fan would especially know that. if you want thabo has some 10th-11th man at min go for it. I'm certainly not choosing him over iggy though. that would be insane

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some of ya'll really love washed players. It's pathetic.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Outside of passing and ball handling, I think he’s a similar caliber player. He’s elite defensively, he can finish in the paint, he’s the better shooter

People were arguing Iggy for 17 mill + 20 mill in lux tax + a 1st... in that case most should be cool with Thabo considering he’s also elite defensively, but can hit his 3’s and FT’s

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

no hes not elite defensively. not at this stage of his career. outside of passing and ball handling? well those are pretty significant aspects of the game the rockets sure could use. what about his constant big game contributions, especially in the playoffs. there's just no comparison between the two.

if you want thabo has some 10th-11th man at min go for it. I'm certainly not choosing him over iggy though

put it this way. if there was a big shot I wanted and the two options were iggy and thabo. I without a doubt am not choosing thabo. so I wouldn't even say hes a better shooter either.

justtxyank likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes he is still elite defensively. Just as much as Iggy is.

I don’t value the ball handling and passing as much with WB and Harden playing the full 48, it’s definitely a great skill to have and there’s nothing wrong with more, but I might personally value Thabos 3PT shooting and FT shooting over Iggys passing considering our teams needs.

I think there definitely is a comparison to be had between the two. Both are 35/36 elite defenders who are a similar size, Rockets need an elite wing defender. Thabo is available for the min, Iggy is TBD but it isn’t looking like we’re gonna get him now. I def would value Thabo at vet min over trading for Iggy.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's complete bs. youll never see thabo today have the same impact as iggy defensively.

you should value it bc one of the weaknesses of the rockets is they dont have the versatility to allow other players to play off the ball. sticking the ball in one or two players hands constantly goes back to the rockets being so capped when it comes to versatility

you are severely overrating a thabo and I have no clue why. dude is not good. nobody has ever looked at thabo at 35 and said this guy is an elite defensive player.

#39 YOLO, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Iggy is "bigger." Iggy can reasonably play the 4 for us and hold his own, much like Tucker. Not sure that even in limited minutes Thabo could do that.

That said, Iggy is probably not an option and Thabo is.

RichieBanks likes this.