1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable Feigen fluff article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There are a number of good points in _holic's post but I wanted to highlight this one.

The tactic of *taking on salary* as a team building tool. _holic says not doing it is not very Morey-esque and he is right.

This is where TILMAN steps in, and does not want to put the LT for *extra salary.* Even though it is a TOOL to get a better player later on.

If this is the kind of thinking that is going to handcuff Morey, we are in big trouble.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I can't argue with anyone that might draw this conclusion.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is where my initial point came from that we should be taking back 2Pat in the deal. He wasn't a good player last year, but he's at least been a playable guy. They have no reason to want to keep him, it would have helped them with the LT and he would have been a useful mid range expiring to aggregate later.

Gray_Jay, BallaDoc and Nook like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Guys consider this hypothetical........

Let's say OKC did NOT trade Jerami Grant to Denver.

Then when the Rockets make the RW trade they have the chance to *add in* Grant to the deal. (that long athletic front court player we covet!)

BUT...it puts the Rockets into the LT!!! (oh noes!)

And then Tilman deems *Jerami Grant* not a *marquee name* worthwhile to put us in the LT, and thus make sure he isn't included in the deal!

THIS.....is the type of thinking that is beyond scary to me.

5. basketballholic

6. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

My educated (amateur) guess: Tilman was indeed open to taking on more salary to add another player, otherwise why did the trade take so long to complete? HOWEVER, his parameters of what he was willing to do were so narrow that it made the job effectively impossible. Iggy, RoCo were deemed not good enough, but if Morey had come back with another big name he would have done it.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

See, I believe this take. Would Tilman go over the LT for Jimmy Butler? I believe he would.

But there are GOOD players like Jerami Grant, RoCo....guys like that, that I wonder if Tilman would NOT deem *marquee* enough to go into the LT.

This is the BIG problem. *HIGH LEVEL ROLE PLAYERS* are difference makers at the margins. But Tilman does not see the VALUE of that player as it relates to the COST of the LT.

8. basketballholic

Kaboom

I wouldn't describe RoCo/Winslow as at the margins however. Those are primary pieces on the same level as Tucker.

#128 basketballholic, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  9. jjc1

jjc1 Member

Because players like Roco and Jerami Grant can help us win more games but they do not help sell more tickets and they don't increase national media coverage.

Gray_Jay, Deuce and jch1911 like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I am pretty confident this is the case. Tilman has said before he would go into the tax for the right player. The problem is likely his definition of "the right player".

He is still a new owner, so there are growing pains but his handling of everything from the media, to the coaching situation to player acquisition has left a lot to be desired.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

This is a bad time to be Kirk Cameron. Harden's window is closing fast. Should have been looking at Family Matter's instead.

12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Isn't this kind of a loaded question? I don't think there's any such thing as an available player whose team couldn't price us out. But putting that part aside, I also don't really like to do the whole armchair GM thing. I'm not a GM, I'm not on the phone with other GM's, and I don't like to try to assume I know what they're thinking and play pretend with their motivations. I only know players that have been reported available, so Covington obviously and then Kevin Love are the two that make sense. Maybe neither of those guys were available for the right price, like you said, but then there are other guys who may have been available. Another name that has come up is Crowder, logically it makes sense that Memphis would be willing to let him go and take on salary in exchange for draft picks because they're in that stage of team building where they want bad contracts and want a ton of picks.

Maybe I am underestimating the difficulty of getting a trade done. I just believe that Morey would have found a deal somewhere that would improve our team, if he was allowed. I think it's likely Tilman did not give him the green light due to financial concerns.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Could also be that this is the first time Daryl has dealt with a brand new NBA owner, or encountered these $$ issues, and he's going to ride it out for a while and see what happens. I don't see him pandering, but at the same time, Tilman is the owner and Daryl is the employee who's job it is to carry out his boss's wishes. If Tilman overrides Daryl's suggestions enough or continues to put money over titles, that could cause him to look for employment elsewhere.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Excellent point! I know all of my friends who buy planes are cheap. :D

Seriously, nobody except an airline would buy a brand new 767. It just doesn't make financial sense. If he had bought an old-as-hell executive jet, that would be a little more disconcerting.

Look, we all knew Tilman stretched himself thin to buy the team. None of this should come as a big surprise.

A disappointment, sure, but not a surprise.

#134 topfive, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    joshuaao and JW86 like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is just terminology. I consider guys like Tucker as *high level role players*.

My tiers

Role Players: Rivers, Green, House
    High Level Role Players: Gordon, Tucker
    All Stars: Harden, Westbrook

High level role players to me are guys that are very impactful but are not all-star level. I don't throw out the term "stars" cavalierly.

topfive likes this.
  16. basketballholic

Where's Capela in that?

17. basketballholic

Mark it down. Warriors will be out of the tax by game 82.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just between thee'n'me, I'druther a solid piece over a big name: RoCo is solid, Jae is solid. Iggy is...an old name.

I haven't learned to trust TF tho other than his stentorian nature his stewardship seems reasonably similar to LA's, but whoever heard from Owner Alexander? That said, I can accept TF not paying the king's ransom in salary+taxes+assets to acquire AI.

However, someone pretty solid needs to be plugged'n'played, or might he already be in the House? Or Clark the quark? I can only hope, right...

Gray_Jay likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I left him out specifically because I did not want your opinion of him to taint the gist of my main point. ;)

Gray_Jay, Deckard and treyk3 like this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is that when DLo goes to the Knixies for 1 or 2 of their 4s? Portis and/or Knox just feel like Dubs-2-B...