1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should've just kept Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Jul 17, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This got nothing to do with everyone b****ing about Mike, there is no better coach on the market......

He is what he is at this point, good enough to contend with but likely not good enough to play convincingly in the Playoffs.

Everyone is getting blasted in this organization, no exceptions, fireworks.....

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Smh, just stop. The Rockets weren’t gonna win anything with Harden, aging CP0, and a bunch of role players.

Harden was tired of CP0 barking and yapping while he misses his 20+ games and continues to decline. Harden carried him all year, and u want him to do it again?

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Chris Paul shouldn'tve called out Harden's manboobs.

beard4life, LUK3 and J Sizzle like this.
  4. ballsohard

ballsohard Member

Bro some of yall on here are too negative. If you think cp3 is better than russ you need to stay off da weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddd. Russ is going to be surrounded with the same shooters James harden has. Yall complain about paying cp3 all that money then b**** when hes traded. Cant really complain about players coming off the board when you have dumb teams like the Knicks overpaying for role players. Also some of yall talking about were trading all our draft picks that we need to keep then turn around and say we should trade a 1st for old ass iguadala and basically pay 37 to 40 million dollars for him because of the tax. I've come to a realization that some of yall will never be satisfied. Smh damn you do damn you don't

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Westbrook is the worst high volume 3 point shooter in NBA history.

Think about that.

Jake Tower and J Sizzle like this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

Time to hit the OKC boards then. Later!

7. T. Will tha Don

Dumb azz post by a clear cut non-sports person.

8. Victorious

Victorious Member

Why do people assume that just because the Warriors no longer have Durant, Rockets will just automatically make the Finals? We played a Durant less Warriors for two games and still couldn't stop them.

Warriors might not be better, but they are still good. Clippers and Lakers will contend with us. Nuggets, Jazz and Portland are still solid teams. The West got stronger.

I don't think we can just assume that we could run it back again and expect to be just as good. While we don't know how good Clippers or Lakers will be, there is no longer one dominant team in the West that can win it all.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I can see that you just woke up from a two-year coma and are just now catching up on the CP3 Rockets. Here's some insight from someone who watched it all:

-Rockets were an amazing regular season team the past two years with a few bad stretches
    -NBA didn't want the Rockets to win, so they refs did their part in 5-on-8 basketball in the playoffs
    -However, the Rockets, instead of nutting up, quit in the face of adversity. A few guys like PJ stuck it out but our stars started their vacation while on the floor.
    -Chris Paul had a noticeable decline over two years, had issues with ball distro, pouted and also sucked up our cap room with a monster contract
    -Meanwhile, the West got stacked in the offseason

-We needed to upgrade at PG and we needed FIRE on the court to overcome ref bias and increased competition

Enter Westbrook

Hope that helps!!!!

10. dejamike

dejamike Member

beard4life likes this.
  11. tc0330

tc0330 Member

pay per view all of them i dont give af

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

I would of never done the trade either but yeah slowly getting to the point of what's done is done.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I do not think people who are for the trade are fully grasping this. Defensive downgrade as well.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't grasp that coming here changes the equation for Russ.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You keeping Chris Paul this year means you're keeping him here forever because that contract can't even be given away.

That and Harden probably asks out too.

Fact: Russell Westbrook is a better asset than Chris Paul. Just ask the Thunder. If it doesn't work we move on a lot easier than with Paul.

baller4life315 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

people keep bringing up the contracts as if westbrook's situation is any better. he has an extra year on top of cp3's contract at $47 million which he likely won't be declining. For a player who relies primarily on athleticism and can't shoot. yeah I'm sure there's just going to be a ton of suitors who want that as their pg. his game won't age better than cp3's

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm happy with trading paul for westbrook.

more talent
    will play 10-15 more games, that's huge!
    keeps the window open longer
    can takeover games like paul couldn't last year

however, i think we may have overpaid. sure it would've take 2 picks to dump paul's contract into cap space but paul's contract ends a year earlier than rus, so maybe it should've been 1 pick to take paul, and 2 picks for rus. i think the 2 picks plus 1 swap would've been fair. then consider the thunder want to dump salary and we declined to take on +25%. i assume if we took roberson or patterson (neither are worth picks, rather they will cost picks to dump), we probably could've saved 1 pick swap.

imagine the trade being paul, chiozza, 2 picks, for rus, roberson.

much more palatable. for the thunder too since they dump roberson's contract and save millions in taxes.

now some of you will read that and say roberson is washed. maybe, maybe he'll bounse back to being a great defensive forward that we can use against kawhi/PG. even if he's washed, he's a large ending contract that we can trade with a pick (since we saved a pick by taking him) for someone useful like covington, iggy, or whoever else. now we don't have the ability to add a player of that price via trade unless that team wants to hard cap themselves by acquiring shumpert and paying him up to $13M.

so in the end the player swap is fine by me since i think paul is going to decline in skill and durability and westbrook will keep the window open longer. but i'm not happy with passing on expanding the trade and spending so many picks.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hey...I hope you’re right. I just don’t see a substantial upgrade when you’re bringing in one of the league’s least efficient players for his volume.

I do hope he changes his game and can get a little better, but even then...the cost of what you gave up in assets likely is never going to be worth it. We’ll see.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am sure Westbrook will have 2 very good years, turnover happy yet good years.

I am afraid he will start declining after those fruitful years...... like our own Chris Paul.

Look if it is healthy Durant instead of WB, I would be even more excited. You need elite Forwards in this era to pair with your guards.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

you gotta admit Plow that there's just a ton of if this and if that scenarios for this situation to truly work. That's what all the Russ backers are constantly bringing up

J Sizzle and Plowman like this.