1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2019-20] Luxury Tax Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 3, 2019.

?

Will the Rockets start 2019-20 under the tax?

Poll closed Jul 10, 2019.
  1. Yes

54.0%
  2. No

26.0%
  3. I abstain. Courteously.

20.0%
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Man, I have already conceded that that is happening.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

ITA! Also great post @BallaDoc !

The point about the NT-MLE was something I've been harping on since the start of free agency. I know many liked the House signing, but I just found it disconcerting that they did it in the first few hours of Free Agency without even exploring what they could've gotten with the full NT-MLE. Perhaps I'm wrong and they did so prior to the official start of free agency, but the timing of it seems troubling.

Furthermore the Rockets played hardball with House last season, yet they had to immediately cave right at the start of this FA? Was the 2 year BAE really so unacceptable to House, a player who hasn't proven anything or made any significant money yet.

I think the Rockets are definitely more talented with Westbrook, but without adding someone like Iggy, Crowder, Winslow (unlikely), Covington (extremely unlikely) basically any GOOD 3-D (big) wings, they likely aren't a top 2 team in the West.

It's simply confusing why they didn't at the very least pick up Crowder from the Grizz. He's cheap (7mil), fits easily into the expanded trade, Memphis wouldn't need to take any salary back and its doubtful they would've wanted much for him.

#82 blahblehblah, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    BallaDoc and pippendagimp like this.
  3. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Not maximizing this Russ trade is the most damning strike against Fertitta thus far, in my opinion. Everything else, I've been able to see/understand the logic. Not this.

treyk3 and D-rock like this.
  5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Penny pinching while you have a top 3 player in his prime is a crime.

I pray we don't turn into the Knicks when we don't have James Harden anymore.

Please Tilman, prove this board wrong. Man talks a big game and hasn't shown anything, really

BallaDoc, D-rock and pippendagimp like this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Perhaps we are going to give up some 2030 decade 1st round picks Capela and Gordon for Blake Griffin. 3 stars!!!!!!!

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Currently, we have 9 man guaranteed contract roster.

PG: Westbrook (34) / Rivers (14)
    SG: Gordon (32) / Rivers (10) / Haden (6)
    SF: Harden (28) / Green (20)
    PF: Tucker (24) / House (24)
    C: Capela (32) / Chandler (10) / Tucker (6)

NG contracts (scrubs until proven otherwise, and then some soon to be waived guys) - Bennett, Davis, Hartenstein, Clark, Chiozza, Fraizer, Ponds, Clemons, McDowell-White

This looks like it will be our rotation baring any major signings or trades. Would be great to not have to rely on Geraldo and old man Chand to likely play a combined 30mpg, would be great if we could reduce old man Tuck's workload. Barring any major signings or trades, this is what we have to work with, paper-thin depth, small/short on the wings and mediocre defensively.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Blake Griffin is the next disgruntled and injury prone star. Perfect world.

And Drummond.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

A source has confirmed to clutchfans @Clutch that the Rockets intend to stay under the tax for 2019-20 unless something “significant” materializes. Clutch reports that Iguodala would qualify

YOLO and Deuce like this.
  10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Honestly, I know people are going to b**** and moan as always, but this makes good strategic sense. Why the hell would we go over the tax for a player that doesn't move the needle? This team can compete as is, and when something big opens up (which it will), we should be ready to pounce.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sources confirms that Tilman & his mouthpiece Jonathan Feigen are lying sacks of ****.
    Eat it up homers & Tilman nutlickers!

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/12/rockets-gm-daryl-morey-luxury-tax/

"General manager Daryl Morey has already been given a green light to pay the tax, a person with knowledge of the team’s planning said."

CAPITAL N
    CAPITAL O
    N-O!
    NO!

#91 J.R., Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    pippendagimp and RocketsFido like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

my gripe is along the lines of, if the rockets held on to their mle or whatever to stay under the tax and not sign a jaymchal green or someone along those lines than yeah, tilman is an idiot. I hope we never find out if that really happened and all he did was offer mins to every FA meeting they had in LA

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's fair, but we are already ate into a portion of the MLE due to Danuel House's contract. We simply don't have the flexibility of funds to make competitive offers to a lot of these guys. And the other issue is that the guys who WOULD be willing to take the vet min don't want to fight for a roster spot (Vince, Luc, JR, Jamal, etc). A trade really and truly is the only avenue for us to improve the roster, and teams like Memphis and Minnesota have to get off that good **** and actually come to the negotiating table in good faith.

14. biff17

biff17 Member

Green signed for over the MLE.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh i get what they're doing. im just saying I hope we don't find out those were the cases

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

no he didn't. he signed for 2 years at $10 mil. that's less than mle

justtxyank likes this.
  17. biff17

biff17 Member

Actually it's 2 years 16.5 million so we are both wrong.

But I would rather have House and more MLE than just Green.

And why do people keep acting like it's only the matter of us offering and not that players prefer another team?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? just you really

his 2/17 mil deal was with the grizzlies

19. biff17

biff17 Member

Touche my bad.

But do you really think we did not offer him that much?

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

as i said, for myself i really hope we never find out all these type of guys got were next to min offers hoping they'd do tilman a favor and LTS. Green is on less than mle money, while houston has sat on theirs