1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Filling out the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DustinS, Jul 14, 2019.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not arguing Roco was a first ream all NBA defense, he got voted so he is duh. Being all nba is just a popularity vote we don't know if the voters are analytics professors with the cache to back it up or just old journalists writing hit pieces in a dark corner somewhere. Klay Thompson didn't even make the All NBA team and his performance is a lot better than Covington. It's a freaking vote just because you vote on something doesn't mean it's true. It's like when Yao Ming got voted to the All Star when he was injured and couldn't play the entire season you think Yao Ming was an all star for that year when he was in crutches the entire time?

What I'm arguing he isn't as good in the playoffs as he is in the regular season. His playoff defensive metrics are on par with Eric Gordon do you think EG deserves to be an All NBA defensive player? If Covington is literally the 5th best defender in the entire NBA he wouldn't have been traded for Jimmy Butler.

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

how do you guys feel about markieff morris for the minimum ?

3. Embrace the clutch

A long play scenario:

If ad is unhappy in LA, we now have a hometown trade chip to trade to the lakers in a sign and trade during next yrs free agency‍♂️‍♂️

4. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Would love to see the Rockets bring back Christian Woods. I think the Rockets are going to expand the Westbrook trade soon. No way they push back the fully guaranteed date for Hartenstein otherwise. Korver, JR Smith, Nick Young, Woods, Igoudala, Holiday, Covington (if he is available), and Crowder (same) would all be good additions. Bender would be an interesting addition though it seems like the Cavs are favored to sign him at this point. Jonathan Simmons is still out there as well. Surprised no one has picked him up on the Veteran’s minimum.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Excuse me? Where is Anthony Bennett?

eliefor3, treyk3 and jch1911 like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm hoping that they do both - expand the WB trade and use the Shumpert S&T - even if its not an immediate trade , sign him to a 3 year deal with only the first year fully guaranteed.

I mean , Tilman told us he's willing to do anything it takes to win …. having that contract now , or at the trade deadline could be the difference between a championship …. or not.

I know I've been negative of their moves since last years trade deadline … but in retrospect , it appears those moves were made with the potential addition of a max FA in this FA period while keeping both Harden & CP3.
    IF that was their intention , we may have underestimated Tilman ….. They didn't get it done but they were obviously willing to pony up the bucks to do it.

We'll just have to wait and see how far they are really willing to go - Signing Shumpert or not is the barometer.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

My somewhat realistic "fillers"...
    Robert Covington
    Kyle Korver
    Christian Wood
    Kosta Koufos

jch1911 likes this.
  8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Known commodities:

Westbrook / Rivers
    Harden /
    Gordon /
    Tucker /
    Capela / Chandler

Non-rotation: Green

Players that could crack the rotation: House, Clark, Hartenstein

4 roster spots left, plus 2 2 way contracts.

I think 1 of our undrafted guys will get signed using our remaining taxpayer MLE. Let’s say Clemons for now. Two other guys get 2 way deals.

3 more spots

SnT Shumpert in the Westbrook deal for Kevin Love. 1 1st and 2 2nds going out.

Sign Iggy after buyout (IF he's bought out) or if not, sign Thabo Sefolosha.

1 minimum after the trade deadline/buyouts

Westbrook / Rivers / Clemons
    Harden / Gordon / Green
    Tucker / Sefolosha / House
    Love / Clark
    Capela / Chandler / Hartenstein

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

lol @ house barely cracking the rotation and playing behind sefolosha

Fulgore likes this.
  10. jowman

jowman Member

Clippers got green and harkless too off the bench. Not to shabby for 8th and 9th man

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Welp. We wasted an opportunity to add another significant player.

12. Williamson

I understand why the Rockets would be interested in Iggy but if we're talking to Memphis I'd rather have Jae Crowder. It's weird to me he doesn't get more mention. Memphis certainly doesn't need him in their rebuild.

Huncho Bean, jowman, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Higher acquisition cost.

D-rock likes this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

well we are $1 Million under the tax.

so first we need to trade Eric and then we need to add 6 players on minimums to fill the roster to ensure tilly isn't hitting the tax.

harold bingo and D-rock like this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

is this taking into account that our vet minimum contracts only count something like $1.6M on the cap?

D-rock and justtxyank like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

I have, thank you. ;)

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They can stay under the tax if they only sign minimums from here on out.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Williamson

Well I guess we've lost the ability to absorb another player's salary in the Westbrook trade? Seems like a waste. I feel like we need at least one more wing.

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We don't just need a wing. We need an elite wing. We needed one before we traded CP and we need one even worse now.

Covington, Porter, Winslow. These are guys we need. We won't get any of them because no one wants Shumpert and Tilman won't pay taxes. We had a freaking layup available and we decided to try to kick it in the hoop.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well, not expanding the Westbrook trade is a big red flag for how much Tilman is willing to spend to win. I don't think he'll ever pay the tax.

harold bingo, Corrosion and D-rock like this.