1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember this, we are trying to add two primary stars.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 18, 2019.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thanks JR. I'm really skeptical of him actually being a good 3 point shooter. One of the best indicators for me to see if a big man can become a good 3 point shooter is whether or not they can make free throws. If they can make free throws, that shows me that they actually have shooting touch, and aren't just in the NBA based off their height and athleticism. Just look at all the guys who do it well, Horford, Towns, Lopez, Frye, Jokic, Meyers Leonard, Dedmon, Olynyk, Love, Gasol, even Boogie...these guys are all 70% free throw shooters or better, most of them above 80%. Can you find a single big man who is an effective 3 point shooter, and also bad at free throws? I think Steven Adams would be the first one in NBA history.

D-rock and topfive like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Steven Adams career from 3: 0 for 7

I don't care how much he's been practicing. They only count when you shoot them in an actual game. If he's afraid to pull the trigger, he's not a threat.

I once saw Dwight Howard hit 33 FTs in a row before a game.

Adams may well develop into a decent 3-point threat. Then again, he might not. But to claim he "can shoot the 3" now is ridiculous. Under that standard, *I* can shoot the 3 because I've hit 7 in a row in a gym with no one guarding me. Wheeeee! I'm a primary star!!!

#302 topfive, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    rammo, King1, JoeBarelyCares and 4 others like this.
  3. basketballholic

Adams is a primary star and substantial upgrade to Capela without a three ball. That's why i listed him. The 3-ball is gravy. And the Cavs want Adams. Im good with all that. We could take Adams, check out his 3- ball fit and then decide whether to flip him back out or not. Or we could be involved in a 3- way deal involving Cleveland and Love.

Adams is a primary star. He's better than what we have. And he's tradable if acquired.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Adams is a primary star? Nah. Nope. Uh uh.

Adams can shoot the three? Maybe in practice...

stop it...

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I hear you on the "data" and "lack of any evidence" and "but you just saw some grainy practice tape and claimed insider knowledge," but I have to side with @basketballholic here.

Steven Adams just looks like he can shoot 3s. He has that gritty, 'lunch pail' look. He's the kind of gym rat we need - someone who will play smart, maximize his potential and make heady decisions. Zeller works too. But not Capela - something about the guy just seems off to me.

Is DMo still available? Now there's a big man I can support!

JoeBarelyCares and harold bingo like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I've seen enough. BRING. HIM. HOME.

PRIMARY STAR BOI

beard4life, sammy, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Please tell me how you determine that Adams is "better than what we have" and a "substantial upgrade to Capela." His numbers last year at age 25 are worse than Clint's (age 24) across the board. Almost EVERY statistical category is worse, though their minutes are practically identical. He's definitely not a better perimeter defender than Capela. He's a worse rebounder, a worse scorer, and doesn't block as many shots.

I have to think you're basing your opinion on some untapped potential you feel Adams has. Why you see such a thing in Adams and not Capela is curious, to say the least. My guess is it's because you've been railing against Capela for three years now, and as we all know, you are not very keen on admitting your mistakes.

Wanting to trade Capela for an upgrade or a better fit is one thing, but taking on a $25M contract as a lateral move for the $18M contract you're sending out is demonstrably stupid.

As for his 3-ball, it doesn't count until he actually starts shooting them. So far, Adams has scored a grand total of ZERO points on 3s.

#308 topfive, Jul 16, 2019
    King1, RHU525, biff17 and 3 others like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

EXACTLY. Every player in the entire NBA can drain 3-pointers in practice. Steven Adams has never hit a single one in a game, but Holic is convinced he's the next Reggie Miller.

Hey, I actually like Adams and think he's a good center. But at this point in their careers, he and Capela are pretty even, despite Adams making $25M a year. If you want to upgrade at center, there are much better options to pursue.

Adams costs more and doesn't improve us. I would be shocked if Morey made such an idiotic move.

#309 topfive, Jul 16, 2019
  10. basketballholic

Adams dominated Capela.....period.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This is complete nonsense.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Dwight got a strap :D

Who knew Dwight and Adams were snipers from deep??

topfive likes this.
  13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

i thought capeala was a primary star. the rockets supposed to have capeala as the star big man.

topfive likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's because Adams is about 280 with legs as thick as Yao's. It's a bad individual matchup for Clint, unlike Towns and Gobert and many other bigs.

I like Adams because I'm a New Zealand fanboy. That being said his average effectiveness against the rest of the league versus Clint's probably doesn't outweigh the contract difference.

Also, he ain't no more of a primary star then Clint. But if you have your boy Zeller on that primary star list that says a whole lot.

15. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I heard that Robin Lopez hits threes during warmups before every game. I’d much rather have him on the Rockets.

smp likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is not a 3 pt shoot, he stepped clearly on the line. :)

JuNx likes this.
  17. BigBum

BigBum Member

one advantage of Adams,

He has a big body to match up with Gobert, Aldridge, Davis, Embidd, ......

18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

rockets don't need male strippers at this point in rockets history!

19. basketballholic

Adams is a bad matchup for a lot of bigs. Very underrated. He is a primary star. El probably lead the league in rebounding next season if he's away from Westbrook and he's personally responsible for 5-7 of Westbrook's rebounds every game for the last 3 years or so.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

No, you are wrong.

I think your spreadsheet may have some bad formulas in it.

Last year’s games:

November 8
    Adams: 19 pts - 10 rebs - 4 asts - 1 stl - 0 blks
    Capela: 17 pts - 7 rebs - 3 asts - 1stls - 1 blks

December 25
    Adams: 17 pts - 7 rebs - 3 asts -1 stls - 1 blks
    Capela: 16 pts - 23 rebs - 3 asts -1 stls - 0 blks

April 9
    Adams: 8 pts - 13 rebs - 1 asts - 0 stls - 0 blks
    Capela: 18 pts - 10 rebs - 3 asts - 0 stls - 3 blks

3-game totals:
    Adams: 44 pts - 30 rebs - 8 asts - 2 stls - 1 blks
    Capela: 51 pts - 40 rebs - 9 asts - 2 stls - 4 blks

Career head-to-head averages:
    Adams: 11.7 pts - 7.8 rebs - 1.5 asts - 1.0 stls - 0.9 blks
    Capela: 12.2 pts - 7.8 rebs - 0.8 asts - 0.8 stls - 1.6 blks

I know: eye test, watch the games, anyone can see, everyone else is an idiot, blah blah. The sad fact is that your low opinion of Capela colors the way in which you see the games (assuming you're actually watching them).

Objectively, there's no dominating going on between these two. Though their styles are a bit different, they're pretty evenly matched head-to-head. Last year, neither of them dominated any of those three games.

#320 topfive, Jul 16, 2019
    D-rock, King1, RHU525 and 7 others like this.