1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is MDA the right coach for our superstar duo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jul 15, 2019.

?

Can MDA coach us to a championship?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Probably not but there is no one better available

39 vote(s)
    40.6%
  1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I didn't like his complacency with James and Chris running the show.

We know he gave Harden the keys to the offense which eventually rubbed CP the wrong way.

I have doubts that at his age and with his personality that he will be able to reel Harden and Westbrook in when needed.

Especially considering he's entering a lame duck season contract wise.

Just a little concerned our new dynamic duo could be held back from reaching their full potential because we have MDA.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

3. JW86

JW86 Member

Clearly not and we will waste a year if not more trying to draw that conclusion.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We aren't extending MDA yet for a reason

Invisible Fan and amaru like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lame duck coach is dangerous. if our MVPs think he wont be back, they won't listen, he'll lose the locker room, we'll struggle, he'll be removed midseason, we will waste another year of harden's prime.

i say we either give him an extension now, even if its just for 1 more year, or remove him and replace him.

i think lue would be a good choice. players will respect him because he's a championship coach and a former player. he's proven he has excellent game management with plays/subs/timeouts on his way to winning a ring, and he's proven to have excellent player management by getting impossible personalities of kyrie and lebron to buy in to his leadership.

the only problem with lue is he turned down the laker job because they wouldn't let him pick his own assistants, and we just hired turner.

however, my concern regarding the coaching situation is that our cheap owner won't want to pay MDA to not coach this season. so he will probably play out this year and be replaced next summer.

1Deep likes this.
  6. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Hes a good coach that has flaws ,Id give him this year again to see if we can win it all.

7. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

whynot?

D-rock likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

MDA isn’t a coach you bring in when you are trying to win titles. Unfortunately, we are stuck with him for at least another year.

cheke64 and T for 3 like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, he is the right coach, until proven otherwise.

10. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

If you listened to his interview, he had plenty of praise for CP3 and was kinda indifferent for Westbrook. Seems like he would have preferred to coach CP3 and liked having a leader on the team and voice on tthe court.

bmelo and harold bingo like this.
  11. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

I think Morey’s analytics are taking away from MDAs genius. He needs to get back into play innovation.

Having said that, he can’t adjust for ish, and he couldn’t back in the Suns/Spurs clashes. So on the net, no, he can’t coach us to the hardware. Sad to say bc his teams are fun to watch.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This. Im guessing the deference to James will allow them to work together.

I don't think hardens ego will allow a Pop type even if he was available

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i actually think he misses CP3 mostly because now he has to actually coach. as a motivator he is lacking. as an in-game manager he is woeful. and his overall stubborness is his biggest flaw. i honestly believe we will never win a title with him on the bench.

14. onreego

onreego Member

D-rock likes this.
  15. AstrosRockets1818

He looks like a guy that loves Jersey Mike’s Italian sandwich’s

16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How so? MDA designs plays and the rockets run them in the regular season, plays get eliminated that don't produce points. That's how we end up with our offense. If MDA's plays were so genius, why aren't they generating enough points to stay in the offense? Why does Harden iso outperform all of the genius plays he draws up?

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I honestly don't know how you coach these guys. Both of them seem extremely aloof and moody. Westbrook has this relentless anger about him. This whole thing seems very likely to blow up in our faces.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If you can't excel under MDA then the problem is you, not him.

D-rock and Remlap like this.
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think MDA initially will get an enormous amount out of Westbrook. He IS the PG whisperer (pretty much all guards that can handle the rock) Over the course of the regular season, MDA/James/Russ should have big time synergy...I'm seeing them as much better complimentary pieces, increasing the product while on the court together...in addition to always having one on.(Rivers will play a big role too) To me though, it will be RUSS's ability to slide over and play the two that will be huge. He's always been a hybrid 1/2 jammed into the PG spot as far as I'm concerned. With James and Chris it was about James taking over or Chris running the offense. These guys should blend well. There will be other personnel changes...And, the sum total during the regular season should easily eclipse the total of 51 1/2. During this time, I'd imagine they announce an extension. It's in the playoffs where there be Dragons..Keep in mind MDA has already had a title stolen from him, though. I see us, if healthy, with additions...being close to unstoppable. It's more Weird Science, but confidence is high.

#19 Plowman, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    D-rock, Remlap and ApacheWarrior like this.
  20. Remlap

Remlap Member

How many coaches out there would we expect to exceed what MDA has done here?

Before D'Antoni came along, the Rockets only made it out of the first round 2X in 20 YEARS
    - D"Antoni's record is 173-73 so far with the Rox; A 70% WINNING PERCENTAGE
    That's OUTSTANDING for ANY coach in the league
    - BEST winning percentage of any Rockets coach and BEST 3 year stretch in franchise history
    - He turned James into a Superstar and MVP
    - His system helped the Rockets set franchise AND league records
    - Led our team to the BEST RECORD IN THE NBA 2 seasons ago (yes, even better than GSW)
    (He wasn't responsible for the Melo experiment and terrible start last year)
    - Named Coach of the Year 2 seasons ago
    - FIRST TEAM in the NBA to take a playoff lead against GSW during Durant era (3-2 last year before CP went down)
    - FIRST TEAM in the NBA to take GSW to 7 games during Durant era

And now, it's 'what have you done for me lately'?

People have mentioned Tryonn Lue, but c'mon.
    YES, he won a Championship with LeBron and Kyrie and Love, but I think I could have
    donned a suit, rolled a ball out there and let the boys play and won a ring.
    I just don't see him as a proven coach. Everyone knows that was LBJ's team. He was coach and GM.
    As soon as LBJ left, Lue was dismissed

YES, you can try and say 'well D'Antoni only acheived that success because of Harden'.
    But let's look at some truths here;
    1) McHale had Harden but didn't achieve the same results
    2) D'Antoni created LINSANITY. With a rag-tag Knicks team, Melo went down with injury,
    Jerry Lin bought into his system and a star was born. Knicks were the hottest team in the NBA
    for about a 20 game stretch. Lin even put up 40 points on Kobe and the Lakers.
    But as soon as Melo came back, Linsanity died and so did MDA's system. Melo (and Kobe in LA) killed MDA's system.
    His system works pretty well. You can't argue with success

So, who's this 'premier' coach we want to replace him with again?