1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tilman Financial Troubles] Shams: Rockets not comfortable going deep into tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 15, 2019.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Iguodala will not choose the Rockets after being bought out. Also, Iguodala improves his play in the playoffs, which is the kind of player any contending team needs. Robert Covington has yet to show he can do that. (I would take either, though.)

At this point, the Rockets are trying to improve on the margins to better their championship odds. While, yes, it’s true that Andre Iguodala is not worth $37 million at this stage of his career, now is not the time for the owner to be cheap and cry about the luxury tax. You own a team capable of winning the championship this season, act like it. If he can’t afford to own an NBA team, then Tilman shouldn’t have purchased the Rockets in the first place.

Gray_Jay and OmegaSupreme like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, the Wolves wanted to move him for cap space at one point. The assumption seems to be that he would only cost a first round draft pick. I honestly do not believe this to be true. While it is true that Covington had an injury and there are concerns about how close to 100% he will be, he is worth more than a single #1.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hard to gauge his value. Elite role player but not a superstar.

Nook likes this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's clear that there's a large contingent of posters who should not be anywhere near a business. Between the posters b****ing about us trading away a $40M 34 year old, injury-prone CP3 and the posters b****ing about us NOT wanting to pay $40M for a 35 year old, injury-prone Iggy, I think it's best for a large portion of CF to take a breath and step away from the keyboard for a while.

biff17, Richie_Rich, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I value IH as a late first rounder when I say IH + 1 FRP.

I think his floor is a back up center and his ceiling is through the roof. I'd love to hold onto him but you gotta give to get.

Complete team control on a minimum deal.

Nook likes this.
  6. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

$37mill & a 1st round pick after I just paid $2bill for a team. Nope need to get back some money first, unless it’s a star.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

It is hard to gauge his value coming off an injury. However, ask yourself this....... if his true cost was only a late #1, don't you think he would already be playing elsewhere?

Matt78777, Gray_Jay and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I wish Les was selling when Ballmer was looking to buy. That man puts his money where his mouth is.

smp likes this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You get Iggy and there is a chance he plays well, but in reality you know that he is turning 36 this season and he probably will continue to regress. He is a smart player and brings a lot to the table, but I am not sure the Rockets system can even take advantage of his strengths which may make him a minus offensively despite the good defense he may provide.

Parking Iggy on the three point line all season long will probably not go well for us. I don't have faith that he can produce all that well. He has certainly had big moments in the playoffs through the years, therefore the thought of having another player with huge balls is tempting but at the same time, will he produce?

On the other end, you don't get him and the Lakers/Clippers get him and now you let go of a potentially good role player for the season.

I don't know, I wouldn't want to make that call money wise. I personally would not give an FRP for an aging Iguodala especially knowing that he has had injuries the last few years in the playoffs. It's likely that in Houston he would play more minutes, not less, so we will probably wear him out. I don't think that's worth the $17M +$20M tax bill. It would be attractive to have a $17M expiring contract to trade away, however, I doubt a lot of teams will be selling during the deadline considering that the 2020 FA class is not great.

I personally don't do the move and live with it. He is absolutely not worth an FRP. It would be crazy for us to trade an FRP for an old Iggy.

Relativist, harold bingo and hakeem94 like this.
  10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Couldn’t agree more. If Memphis wants a first-round pick for a 35-year-old Iguodala, Minnesota should be asking for multiple first-round picks or talented young players for a 28-year-old Covington.

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  11. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

He did not have 2.2 billion laying around. Almost nobody does. He financed the team leveraging Landry restaurants. He is in a different situation than folks who own their team outright. Prior to him purchasing the team his estimated net worth was 2 1/2 billion dollars. That doesn’t mean he had 2 1/2 billion in the bank, that was the figure when considering his assets minus liabilities. Alexander was different, because he purchased the team for a couple of hundred million dollars and had zero debt.

Gray_Jay and harold bingo like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Amen!

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Man all these Clutchfans whiners, haters, and crybabies feasting on this bit to trash the Rockets again.

I'm no Tilman supporter, but paying $17 million + $20 million in luxury tax for a 35-year-old aging Iguodala does not make any sense.

I'm sure Morey would be against this long before Tilman could ever chime in with, "oof... muh luxury taxes!"

The buyout route makes the most sense if we are serious about a non-all-star player with a $37$ million combined price tag.

Let's not overreact. Tilman is cheap, but this isn't the reason to crucify him yet.

14. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Grizzlies demanding a first round pick for Iggy is just delusional.
    Iggy is a negative value contract at $17M, and that's why they just received a first round pick for taking on him. You can bet they are not going to earn two first rounders by loading and unloading Iggy (essentially trading nothing).

Iggy is still a useful player, but I don't think we or any other team will take his contract without being compensated with something.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  15. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

And hasn’t accomplished what Fertitta has as an owner.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What product exactly has Balmer put out that Tilman hasn't?

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Why is this not going into the Luxury Tax such a big deal with Tillman? Wasn't Les the same way?? How many times did the Rockets go through lux tax under him??

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Man, you really go to bat for Tilman. Related?

19. basketballholic

This is pretty simple guys.

Now that we've traded for Rustbrick...#TwoChoppers doesn't want to face that repeater luxury tax in 2022-23. Whereas before, we were going to be off CP3's deal and could go into the luxury tax with the given of being out in 2022-23....now we've got to toy with salaries and step out of the tax at some point within the next 4 years. So...we're not going to go deep into the tax because we do have to get out at least once within the next 4 years...and for 2 years in a row starting in 2022-23 if we go the next 3 years in the luxury tax.

All the forward calcs changed when we moved Paul for Rustbrick. We may actually bail out of the tax again this season. Who knows...

Gray_Jay and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Clutch's recent podcast w/ bima alluded that we're doing one more year of LTS.

Sorry Bois. Russ's extra year trumps whatever fertitties said before the trade.