1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest Key to Westbrook's Success: John Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #34, Jul 15, 2019.

#34 Member

It's taking me a little time to get used to the idea of Russ in a Rocket's uniform, but as I begin to warm up to it I can't help but think how valuable it'll be to have a guy like John Lucas on the staff to work with.

Free throw shooting, mid-range shooting(yes it will be part of the offense this year!), decision making are the areas that come to mind, but I don't think we can easily quantify how important this relationship will be. What's crazy is they have almost identical shooting strokes too. That gives me hope that Russ can improve his %.

Although Lucas' game as a player was somewhat different than Russ, from an athleticism standpoint, his entire career was spent in a combo guard alignment like we'll have. Playing in a starting lineup with Calvin Murphy or Lewis Lloyd as a Rocket or with JoJo White in Golden State or alongside Ricky Pierce and Craig Hodges at other stops.

I'm anxious to see how this plays out.

itzIce, cbs1507, fattz and 11 others like this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

Good point, I’d actually for different reasons: Lucas can check Westbrook and work with him. He’s been a loose cannon and has worked with all walks of life.

Ramo$e likes this.

#34 Member

I doubt we'd be interested in having Westbrook contain his level of passion, he's never had issues with teammates, only issues have been isolated such as Beverley and Durant. He's one of those guys who you hate unless he's on your team, and the fact that we have mutual interests (Utah) is all the more reason to allow him to be as passionate as he needs to be on the court.

roslolian, Denovo and Ramo$e like this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

Not what I meant, obviously...

#34 likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The biggest thing John Lucas is gonna help him out with is anger issues on and off the court. And if Russ decides to become an alcoholic, Mr Lucas would be there for that too.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun mind WB on Utah though. I hoped he would let them implode.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Lucas can definitely be a factor
    I think his coaching and Mentoring is underrated

Rocket River

Deckard, fattz, #34 and 1 other person like this.
  8. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

What about his guy? Excellent free throw shooter and plenty brains

[​IMG]

fattz and J.R. like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Great point, OP. Lucas will hopefully be a big influence.

Don't undersell Lucas's athleticism when he was Russ's age. He may be the only Rocket who has ever played two sports at the professional level (unless you count baton twirling, which I don't).

Nah. This coach/GM combo are sold on the idea that mid-range shots are a terrible idea as anything other than an end-of-the-shot-clock last resort. It doesn't matter how good Russ may be at them. CP3 was deadly at mid-range, but he shot fewer of them with us and more 3s. That's Rocketball, for better or worse.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lol i thought the biggest keys would be james and CC.

#34 Member

I think the difference with Russ and his mid-range game is that his level of athleticism is on a whole other level so the stop-and-pop is like a layup or a counter move to avoid the charge, it's somewhat instinctual

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

too expensive for tilman. gotta use than money on another restaurant.

Texanasiafan and justtxyank like this.
  14. bball111489

bball111489 Member

How could you disrespect Chase Budinger?

DreamQuake likes this.
  15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

2012 dunk contest participant chase bubinger*

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Assistant coaches? Waste of money.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the pattern here is that basketball decisions are a waste of money. business decisions like adding westbrook so the fans get hyped, prices go up, more national TV money, that's a good investment.

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Tilman can not afford Mo.

J.R. likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok WB is near the tail end of his career the last thing you want to do is mess with his shot mechanics you are fighting against decades of muscle memory and tbh WB has resisted shot doctors for decades highly doubt he will listen to John Lucas or whoever, he thinks his mid range shot is a "cotton shot" meaning it always goes in when he has never shot better than 30% on mid range Js his entire career lol. If he has not seen a reason to improve his shot after all these years highly doubt he will magically improve in a summer short of a divine intervention. He is what he is.

However what you can do with him is tell him mid range is bad, I think he is gonna be ok shooting 3s and layups just like Cp3 was. 30% from 3 isnt great but neither is it the worst in the world, Ariza was shooting 31% his last year here and he was ok.

harold bingo likes this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Great - he has substance abuse issues too? Actually wait this makes sense, he's addicted to a powerful synthetic called FGA - he will do it anytime, anywhere, even in the most inappropriate spots. Sometimes he combines it with uncontested rebounds to triple his high.

Hopefully Lucas cures him of this addiciton.