1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tilman Financial Troubles] Shams: Rockets not comfortable going deep into tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 15, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

exactly, people are trying to look at him as some typical role player with some limited ceiling, when hes displayed the complete opposite. his potential as a contributor is game changing and hes proven that time and time again. how anyone who has witnessed GS run for the last several years, especially when theyve run into houston throughout it, question iggy's fit here is just absurd. This isn't some overnight level of interest. The rockets recruited this guy as a top priority 2 years ago and clearly hes shown why

blahblehblah likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Add Crowder or Bruno.

3. JW86

JW86 Member

It’s clear we are not getting Iggy so at least that speculation can stop. Tilman will have to pay up but he could be devious: not go all in and then when it fails, just say it didn’t work out, blame players or too strong of an opponent and cash in on Harden and or Westbrook.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

No, I got that. I was responding to the guys who totally buy into the Tilman-is-broke narrative.

And trolling Carl is an art form on its own, so I applaud the effort. :D

5. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I'm not sure I understand why Robert Covington keeps getting thrown out as a potential target. He's a good locker room 3D guy on a good salary...so why don't the Wolves want him anymore? I've heard it's because he's had injury trouble, so in that case...why does Houston want him? I'm all for acquiring a healthy Covington but still don't see why Wolves would give that up or why Houston would want him if he is unhealthy...

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he's not going into the lux tax this season. with westbrook's extra contract year the grim repeater looms on the horizon. plus tilman loses out on the $3M payout from taxpaying teams this year. no puedo

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

It'll be interesting to see what kind of contract we give Austin Rivers next summer as a reward for artificially keeping our numbers down this year.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t want to give up a 1st round pick for Iggy

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Houston never shied away from risks..... CP3 was injury prone before his trade here.

hakeem94 and Matt78777 like this.
  10. Homey the Clown

Iggy is well past his prime. I don't blame him on this one.

hakeem94 and izeroi like this.
  11. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

37m and a FRP to trade for a frequently injured washed dude and people scream Tilman is cheap. 40m for a 30 year old consistent MVP runner up and people scream Tilman should stay the F out of the GM office. Smdh Clutchfans just as good as the hot takes on ESPN.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well, this is basically CF for you, just have to find the good posters. Def agree 37m (for a player that might just retire) and a FRP is not a good reason to go into the luxury tax here.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

If you're going to make a trade for Iggy, wait until the deadline to do it. I'd rather see how the season goes and whether he can stay healthy before committing that kind of money to him as well as another FRP.

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If that happens, Iguodala will join one of the Los Angeles teams, not the Rockets.

D-rock likes this.
  15. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Allow me summarize: he's not coming here.

UTSA2step and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He'll be bought out or dealt long before the deadline...probably long before the season starts..All their talk is posturing. Memphis isn't paying him any more than they have to.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

People keep mentioning Roco or someone better than Iggy. But when the time comes we either won’t go after them or won’t have the assets to get them. It’s Iggy and luxury tax or “we like what Shumpert brings us, he’s a steal at 3 million”

Gray_Jay and justtxyank like this.
  18. anchel

anchel Member

If you were not ready to pay that much for Iggy (reasonable), you could have chosen the Non taxpayer MLE route and improve the team via free agency bringing a player like DeMarre Carroll, Ariza, JaMychal, Kieff, Temple, KCP... Of course you would have paid taxes too, but not that much.

If you do neither, simply you're not going fully for a championship. All the talk is fake.
    There is a chance for a different trade, I think Covington would have like 15M less of salaries+taxes impact.
    I just hope we don't bet everything on the Iggy buyout, cause he easily could choose LAC and then you have nothing.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The theory goes that Minnesota wants to move him to get max salary cap space. I don’t buy it either but really have no idea

20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

20 extra million for an aging Iggy. Pass.

cml750 likes this.