1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook vs Paul: Playoffs the last 3 years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Russ is actually 30. Turns 31 this coming season. Not 31 yet. When saying he is already 31 it comes across like he is about to be 32. Not the case

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Russ shot better % on 3pointers in this years playoffs than cp3

cp3 was breweresque in the most important games of his life

D-rock and SF3isBack!! like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

Its not about who is better in a vacuum, its about who can be the better secondary player. Look at how Russ was shooting them out of games in the post season, especially game 6 where PG was hot, you think if Cp was there, that happens, no it does not. Chris Paul is smart enough to make the right play most of the time when there is a 4v4? Do you trust not to shoot you out of games or not shoot those mid range shots? Do you trust him to stick ot the game plan, do you trust him to make the defense better on the court(which Chris Paul certainly did, the numbers back that up). Do you trust him to be a more efficient spot up shooter or just shooter in general than Paul?

The fact is, you cant. And none of this can be answered until we see the product on the floor, so you guys cant just dismiss the valid concerns others have.

BaselineFade and YOLO like this.
  4. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

The playoffs will be the test for Westbrook, yes. Matchups will be important as there are some teams with the personell that can really take him out of his game.

Less transition opportunities and more customized defense are what tend to get Russ because he's not a super dynamic player. By that I mean that he has a way of playing and he's going to play that way, so if you can take away some of that, he's not likely to adjust and find another way. Instead he just keeps trying his way hoping it will work.

It's hard to say how much Houston's spacing will help him in the playoffs, but it should. It's hard to say because many thought adding George and also adding Carmelo's shooting (sucked as a player, but was still respected and guarded as a shooter) would help. Yet that season, Westbrook still had playoff problems.

Westbrook is hard to predict, it's funny with Paul I wouldn't expect the Rockets to lose to anyone in the first round. With Westbrook, it's like, well, I don't know. He could take 20 FGA/G and shoot poorly and it could become a problem, but then there's also the, well if he's good most g games through a series, he also has an ability to explode for massive games and change a series for the better.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Chris Paul's hamstrings say hello.

So does his contract!

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

So legitimate question. How did Dwayne Wade play his style of game when Lebron joined the Heat? Wade never developed a real 3 point shot, and was showing some signs of aging but year 2/3 of the Heatles. Plus he game Lebron the reins to run the show which will be similar here as this is Harden's team.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Harden or WB or as good as Lebron or Wade. I'm just wondering if there are lessons to their game style and on-court dynamic that can be emulated from seeing that tandem figure it out.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sorry, I forgot to show the reason for the shot selection suggestions.

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  8. basketballholic

Yeah hell never be healthy again....

Another one with the same song and dance. Justifying the deal by predicting future injury status of 2 players....

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Funny I dont recall saying he'll never be healthy again, are you sure you meant to reply to me?

10. basketballholic

You implied it by saying Paul is never healthy.

You also stated Paul had had better teams.

That is blatantly false.

Another non contributing non supporting member............

Make a donation.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The only thing about my post thats false is the way you took it. You also seem to be laboring under the idea that I give a **** what you think, whoever you are. Just to be clear I dont lol I said what I said. Chris Paul is an always injured aging star. He is an ******* to boot. He will get injured again judging by his games played the last few seasons that's clear. he will also piss off his teammates this is what he does. not sure what you're crying about but you need to get over it. So there I hope you accept that donation *******.

RichieBanks and biff17 like this.
  12. basketballholic

Make a contribution.

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You are a joke of a person. Telling people who you disagree with to donate. As if your opinion is more valid because you donated. What a clown lol hey you must be fun at parties

14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

If past performance was the lead indicator in evaluating a 34 year old point guard who was already injury prone in his youth, then this trade would never have been made. The biggest reason this trade was made is bc of age. It’s based on future production and longevity. This stat also fails to show how cp was a no show for game 6 and 7 bc of injury and how the rocketss would be number 2 seed if Paul wasn’t hurt this year

tmoney1101 and SF3isBack!! like this.
  15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

FIFY

Here is their Plus/Minus for this past year [playoffs round 1]:
    Game 1
    Paul: +13; Rockets: +32; Difference: -19

Game 2
    Paul: +8; Rockets: +20; Difference: -12

Game 3
    Paul: -6; Rockets: +3; Difference: -9

Game 4
    Paul: -8; Rockets: -16; Difference: +8

Game 5
    Paul: +8; Rockets: +7; Difference: +1

Total: -31

Westbrook
    Game 1
    Westbrook: -10; Thunder: -5; Difference: -5

Game 2
    Westbrook: -27; Thunder: -20; Difference: -7

Game 3
    Westbrook: +15; Thunder:+12; Difference: +3

Game 4
    Westbrook: -17; Thunder: -13; Difference: -4

Game 5
    Westbrook: -4; Thunder: -3; Difference: -1

Total: -14

16. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

Harden is NOT brilliant, he is actually the cancer infecting this team. Would have been better teamwise to trade Harden.
    What is this about “keeping beard happy”? If he would have requested a trade for 10 camels, you would do that too? This is the problem in the NBA nowadays - players with too much power, coaches with none.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Soooo this is probably the dumbest thing Ive ever read. And its on Clutchfans not surprising.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

.................what

tmoney1101 likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I kind of like that band's music though. I know it's not cool, but it's catchy!

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

OP's post? It's not exactly that.