1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook vs Paul: Playoffs the last 3 years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 14, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I couldn't care less.

Both are great players, or were. The one is older unfortunately. End of story.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I will say it works the other way around too?

The majority of the board thought CP3s contract was an albatross and anchor for this franchise and now that it is gone it seems a lot of people are forgetting that while he was still a good shooter, he wasn't worth the money he was being paid anymore and he was older, much older, there isn't any reason to believe that CP3 was going to get better.

Say what you want about Westbrook but he's still a superstar. He can still lead a team by himself to the playoffs...in the west. He's at least proved that. Is he inefficient and a chucker? Sure, but there is still some belief that Westbrook could be better if just surrounded by the right team.

I know people will say "Westbrook isn't conducive to winning..." is that really true? He with Durant made it as far as CP3 with Harden and he's had big playoff games where he's lifted OKC...with Durant...past good teams.

If Westbrook can do that, it's an improvement. There is way too much pressure on Harden to carry the team every playoff game that he's not allowed to have 25 point games in the playoffs, he has to dominate!

joshuaao, D-rock, vlaurelio and 3 others like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think he can lead a team by himself these past 2 years, at least not into the Playoffs. Not anymore, with those shooting numbers.

Especially not the OKC Thunder without George.

That is exactly why he wanted out after the Portland series, media kept silent, Brodie wanted out prior to PG going Clipperland.

Do I still call him a superstar? Yeah, why not.

I tend to disagree here though.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This should be put on the Clutchfans Banner or something. Brilliant.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Chris Paul is never Healthy or good enough for a chip or the WCF's for that matter. Paul has had more talent on his teams than Harden and couldnt get out of the second round. He is now aging. Eveyone is looking at shooting numbers but it does not tell the full Chris Paul story. If he was as good as those numbers say then what happened in the playoffs??? Spacing? All mighty efficient Paul needs space to shoot? really? You guys are remembering the 2018 playoffs pre injury Paul. HE IS NOT THAT GUY ANYMORE. Funny how when he was playing well last year he gave no ****s about space.

Hmc415, vlaurelio and hakeem94 like this.
  6. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Last year is Westbrook's worst year in the playoffs, and he was playing with an injury. If he can never play better than last year in the playoffs, we are doomed. But I am hopeful that it won't be the case.

Looking at the pure on/off number can be misleading, because it doesn't take into account the rotation. In last year's playoffs, Paul's net rating without Harden on the court is -10.8, which is worse than Westbrook's -9.7. You need to know that when Harden is not on the floor, it means that the opposing team is playing their second unit, so it means that Paul performed worse against a weaker unit compared to Westbrook. Also, Paul's EFG% was 44.6% when Harden is not on the court last playoffs, which isn't that much better compared to WB's 41%.

Despite y'all bashing Harden for not moving, he made Paul's game so much easier just by being on the floor because he had such a big gravity that the opposing defender won't leave him under any circumstances to help, so it allows Paul to play 4v4 which is a lot easier compared to 5v5.

#86 James.B.H, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  7. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I think we're all better off not comparing Russ vs. CP unless we're actually playing him. This move was all about Harden and extending his prime here in Houston, which I'm cool with. Russ and Harden will be fun to watch. One thing that Harden has never done with CP was publicly say that he'll play off-ball. That is new.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

@justtxyank It doesn’t matter if Chris Paul is more or less efficient. He’s gone bro...it’s time to move on.

D-rock and SF3isBack!! like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Here is the thing...

PG13 is getting a HUGE pass here, playoff P has been a dud in the playoffs too and he's been giving a huge pass when it comes to OKCs issues. Playoff P has always been maybe at best a 3rd team All NBA guy, he's had his best year easily next to Westbrook.

I do think Westbrook gets so much slander that he's become underrated. Especially since some people say you can't win with him but he's already been on winning teams so that's obviously not true, despite his shooting. Sometimes shooting efficiency is overrated, Kobe Bryant is like a career example of that. Just saying there is more to the game than how efficient a shooter anyone is, there are things Westbrook brings to a team that not many players can.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

And he was right

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Hes so smart, has high bbiq ...really?
    where was this smartness and iq in gsw series when gsw were begging to be taken down?
    i think you need your definition of iq redefined

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While your points are good, I give you that.

Here is another thing....

Nobody thought PG13 could lead a team until this year and perhaps half a year before that.

So this superstardom is something new to PG13. How many superstars become superstars at age 27-28?

Well, not many, maybe nobody outside of him. He was always a Robin.

So him gassing out in the Playoffs is actually a normal human thing.

13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Is harden a great basketball player and incredible offensive force? IMO yes.
    Where was Harden's greatness and incredible offensive force when gsw/spurs was begging to be taken down? IMO it was still there.

Being a great basketball player and an incredible offensive force, doesn't mean you are going to win/perfom well in a particular series, matchup or game in my view. Just as having great basketball IQ and being smart (on the court) doesn't mean you win every game/series or matchup.

The opponent is a huge factor as well as luck and circumstance. I'll disagree, but you're welcome to believe having high bbiq = always performing your best in every instance and not doing so = not having bbiq.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Westbrook had become Westbrick and too much is never too much for him.

But, but ... He did not play along with Harden and he played in his own team pretty much as the Alpha.

So yes, him and Chris Paul are apple and orange. Different skill sets and different mentality. Westbrook is more about athleticism than fundamentals. He was relatively unknown until he started playing at UCLA.

It comes down to this, show me all the stats you have for Chris, and yes, yes, yes, but but but the dude pulled a few disappearing acts in the playoffs. Most important, Harden does not want to carry him any more.

Russ is 31 still in prime, averaged another tripple double last year, and brick or not, you know he is not going to disappear in the playoffs. Give me Russ over Chris any day. That said, no disrespect to Chris. But the dropoff from his year 1 here to year 2 is too significant for anybody to point to the previous years numbers and proclaim he will be better.

hakeem94, D-rock and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

CP3 is and probably still will be a better shooter.

You know who else is a better shooter than Russ?

DJ Augustin, Maybe he's a better player than Russ too.

Sidenote: In OKC Russ pretty much had carte blanche to do whatever he wanted. He will have to come here and fit in. This isn't his team and the Rockets have had more success here recently than the WB led Thunder have.

I honestly believe/hope that we won't see as many stretches of wild play and he will be more willing to play to his efficiencies, i.e. taking wide open shots, and driving to score/dish.

I doubt we will see a bunch of WB bringing the ball up the floor and jacking contested shots without anyone else touching the ball.

#95 xtruroyaltyx, Jul 15, 2019
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Please stop with the ridiculous overexaggeration. It's not like Russ cannot shoot 3's like MCW, RHJ or Stanley Johnson.

He will actually improve his 3ball like everyone else who plays for MDA. Rockets system enhances opportunities for the easiest treys, uncontested as well as from the corners.

33% to 36% will be fine especially because most of his points will be at the bucket (where he is dominant).

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He did have some teams in Indy where he was the main guy.

I will say about Westbrook is that I don't think he's out of his prime, he's still just as explosive, he has had bad shooting years certainly but he's always been a wildly inconsistent shooter but I think with his talents and skills it's more about the team fitting around him just right and I think the Rockets certainly have that.

We have shooters, we have guys that can catch lobs, we have a coach that loves fast paced ball, the only thing here is if Harden will be cool letting Russ run his high octane offense and play off guard more than he's used to. If the Rockets figure that out I really think that yes, a championship is there to be had.

With CP3 he was done. He was declining and one of these years, if not next, he's going to be completely washed. The Rockets have at least got from under that threat. I think Westbrook is far from being washed up, he's probably at least 3 more seasons until he starts showing signs of that.

CP3 was oft injured and just can't bring it at an elite level like he used to every night, can't do it anymore. It's nice that he can shoot and run the offense but really, Goran Dragic can do that or DJ Augustin or any number of PGs, including Rivers. Westbrook adds something that CP3 can't anymore and that's at times complete domination of a game.

It won't happen every night...and that's fine...because there is Harden who can also dominate a game. This is what we've always been missing with the Harden era. First we got Dwight with the messed up back and the ego and then we got one great year from CP3.

Harden should finally have a guy that can completely take over games. This is what guys like Curry have had for the past few years and why LeBron keeps teaming up with other superstars because it's an important thing to have. Yeah, Harden had it for that one last year of CP3 and that almost put them over the hump if he hadn't pulled his hammy.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's see what happens.

I dun like the fact that you have a depleted Front court and not enough defenders now with this superstar tandem combo.

And the fact that you can only go for 36 old Iggys......and older guys to fill out the roster.

We'll see whom they trade for. (Covington)......

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I really hope we don't trade for Iggy, the last thing we need with Westbrook on the court is another guy that is an inconsistent shooter, and he's old.

I'd just wait for the buyout market (mid-season) in that case.

BaselineFade and daywalker02 like this.
  20. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

You gotta shoot it to have an Eff FG %

CP3 refused to shoot it because he couldnt beat anyone. I dont care what his %s were. He wasnt making an impact last postseason. He made the few shots he took. Big whoop. There were 2 games vs golden state in the playoffs where he didnt even have 10 FG attempts. Thats inexcusable from someone you are relying on to win. So I dont care about his percentages.

#100 Gorilladunks, Jul 15, 2019
    D-rock likes this.