1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] The Rockets sacrifice their future to get Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You know that Patrick Bev will go after Russell's knee again.

amaru likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This situation is a very good analogy.

daywalker02 and Nook like this.
  3. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

[​IMG]
    He will get dealt with.

Tfor3 and JuNx like this.
  4. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

I am a big Chris Paul fan, but have to say that once he signed his contract he was not the same player. While at the first year Chris Paul is definitely a better fit for this team than Westbrook, last season's Chris Paul was not. Availability with players of this talent level is a big deal.

Also this does look like more of an ownership move than a Morey move. Ownership wants to see the performer perform. I think this could work and also think ownership in particular did not appreciate CP3s mini basketball sabatical.

amaru likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m confident you are right. Especially considering that Tilman never had the choice to max him out. He’s was basically locked into it when he bought the team. I’m sure watching a declining Chris Paul this year coupled with the disappointing play to end the season made Tilman feel like we wasn’t in control of his investment. I’m positive he was a key driver of this deal. Hell, Presti may have even realized the owner and star player both wanted it; allowing him to drive up the price.

Bottom line, it’s a slippery slope when players and owners play GM. But I have to believe that in the end, Morey was on board,

Tfor3 likes this.
  6. persian hoopa

persian hoopa Contributing Member

Thanks that fix worked for me. Still Clutch needs to fix things

7. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

We sacrifice our future yes, but no with this Wesrbrook trade.
    We sacrifice our future when we trade for CP3. I think it was a good trade and we were close to winning a championship, but this was the moment, because part of this trade was giving CP3 a max contract.
    So now we are paying that price.

NickKent likes this.
  8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

No offense, but this is a pretty awful analogy. WB in a down year was still 3rd team all-NBA. Where was Chris Paul in all-NBA votes? Who is younger? Who is healthier? Who is cheaper? This doesn’t even begin to touch on how bad Shaq was when he went to the Suns.

This was in no way a reach. Compared to what? Standing pat with a broken down Paul? Waiting for the next star to choose Houston? To me both are more risky.

As far as the draft picks given up - there is almost a zero percent chance that they would result in a player as good as Harden or become an ingredient to a team that has as good of a chance to win a title as a team with a player of Harden’s caliber on it. That was a mouthful, but basically the future is now, IMO.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

THIS

Note - I disliked Chris Paul way more than I do Russell Westbrook

Plowman likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

No offense taken. I think it all comes down to how good you think Westbrook is and how well he will fit,

Concerning Westbrook, consider that when he became available that suitors were not lined up for him. Miami wasn’t even willing to give up their younger assets for him. I am not sure there is much demand for Westbrook.

As for Paul he isn’t the player he used to be. He lost a step but was an excellent system fit and a better defender.

Teams on the cusp for a few seasons make calculated risky trades to get over the top. The Rockets are no different. I would gladly have all my concerns proven wrong. Also, to be clear I am not SURE how I feel about the deal. I see the upside but cannot dismiss the odds of the downside.

MettaWorldPete, YOLO, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  11. 1234567

1234567 Member

Good points but realize suiter picked up players already and this team became the best choice because:

1 there is a big contract in CP3 for one on one swap.

2 the alpha dog not happy anymore with said player.

3 the alpha dog's bud available because his team in rebuilding mode thanks to PG13 doing his thing.

4 that player requested to come here to play with Bud and the old team wants to make it work.

In a way, this just happened, no one planned this, wasn't even talked about period.

Let's face it, both are on bad contracts but the BUD is bro and younger and would be great for this to work. But can blow up in their face.

So there is major chance this will blow up and small chance this will work and Harden is hoisting up the final MVP trophy.

In most opinions there was zero chance if they brought it back AND chances the alpha Dog gets mad and demands a trade....

Easy likes this.
  12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Didn’t realize ppl disliked Deke before he came here.

13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

harden got bish ashe gauged like sampson in the bible.

don't know what westbrook has to prove.
    westbrook got a better jordan shoe deal than harden.
    westbrook dropped 40 + points in a nba finals game, against lebron.
    westbrook been better in the league than harden since day 1, and harden was bench player in okc~

harden weak adidas deal is only highlight of his career!

14. NickKent

NickKent Member

I can buy the complaints about the owner meddling, Harden's inability to get along with other superstars, Westbrook's fit with Harden as two ball-dominant chuckers, but I don't buy the lamenting the draft picks.

How do we know the 2024 and 2026 drafts will be good? How do we know the Rockets will be guaranteed to be terrible? What we do know that Paul was not getting any better and his contract was one of the worst in the league. Assuming Westbrook doesn't completely fall off a cliff this year, his contract is way more tradeable than Paul's going forward.

We mortgaged the future when we traded for Paul - now we have to win in the window we have now, not hope for 5 and 7 years down the line...

TheFreak likes this.
  15. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

With CP3, we do not have future.

16. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

So yes, the Heat will need some incentive to take on that hefty contract, and it appears they’re asking for just that. ESPN’s Brian Windhorst appeared on “SportsCenter” Monday night, reporting that Miami is Paul’s preferred destination. One catch — they want their picks back. OKC holds two of Miami’s future first-round selections and, according to Windhorst, the Heat want those included in a potential deal.

So Miami want a good pick for taking CP3.

The Westbrook trade was a good trade for us.

17. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

This is why OKC would not let us do a 3 way. Miami is desperate and are not getting Beal. They NEED CP3 or Lakers are getting him. Miami has nothing. We probably could have worked a 4 team deal to send CP3 to Miami for Westbrook with only 1 pick required for solving OKC roster problems. If we help OKC move Adams to Cavs for Love, OKC can afford to take back the trash for CP3 and lose nothing. After this year, OKC can take on more bad deals to acquire more picks while their talent grows.

If Miami balks OKC can just say we will wait until the Lakers and Wolves are available at 12/15 and you can watch him go there for nothing. Riley will lose it and he is screwed either way. I cannot wait to see the fireworks between Butler and CP3 when CP3 is yelling at him from the bench in street clothes. As much as I want RoCo now is a good time to make this back into a 4 way deal to help OKC keep their picks, move Adams and we could take back Winslow while getting Love. OKC would be grateful to us for solving all of their problems at one. Trust me that is the main reason they dealt with us after Harden. I thought that was impossible.

We did far more damage to OKC off the court than we ever did on the court. We almost singlehandedly killed that franchise. I want to eat off their corpse some more. They are getting rewarded for tanking.

18. riko

riko Member

Yeah MVP is not a highlight.. Keep trolling.Harden is now mentioned as one of the if not the best offensive scorer ever.get a life

19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

So what was their future with CP3?

20. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Jeez. I had a dream last night. In the dream CP3 was on the Rockets and all the sports media said it wouldn't work. All summer in the dream they were bashing the trade. They said they couldn't play together. Rocket fans were not all that happy about it...and then they were 1 game from the finals and lost to the warriors. However, it was amazing to see the media sports analysts on ESPN and elsewhere that were talking trash all of a sudden had to admit how historic the team played during the season and throughout the playoff run. It was if they never said a damn thing earlier that summer leading to the new season and at the beginning of the season. Mainly because Chris Paul suffered an injury in the series. In the dream he played for two seasons and then got traded for Westbrook AND THEN the whole news cycle of trash reporting started all over again. It was like some kind of sports news hamster wheel of summer garbage without knowing anything until the games were being played...and then I woke up and turned on ESPN and looked at my twitter lol