1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isn’t the news about why Harden and CP3 blew up at each other a little concerning?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by igotwhipscollectingdust, Jul 13, 2019.

1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Of course the entire team can't play like Harden. Guys need to play their roles. Harden probably know his tank pretty well. If he was constantly cutting and running off screens on offense, getting back on D full sprint every play and precisely rotating on every play there isn't a chance he could do what he does in isolation as much as he does it.

When you have one of the best individual isolation players in NBA history who can play elite post defense and has some of the quickest hands in the NBA for creating deflections, the goal it to put a team around him that can maximize those abilities rather than have him adapt.

Morey did that two years ago. The problem was they ran into one of the best teams in NBA history.

I think the Russ thing can work, but Russ is going to have to adapt his game quite a bit (and IMO cut down on his minutes so he can expend more energy in other aspects like becoming the defender he is capable of being) and I don't think Harden really should have to change much. I'm not sure we see that happen but I'm going to try to be optimistic.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

So, you're confused about why James Harden ignored an underperforming teammate who refused to run the system that brought us within a torn hamstring (of said underperforming player) of taking down a Warriors team that remains unbeaten to this day?

Maybe Chris Paul is wrong even though you have a nostalgic obsession with what he prefers.

luckyman76, Air Canada and eliefor3 like this.
  3. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Westbrook’s impact is not what his box score would make one believe.

It’s why OKC has underachieved the past two years. I guarantee you were one of the many people thinking 2018 OKC was a threat to anybody at all in the postseason.

CP3 is the exact opposite. Always better than the box score. Always making winning plays. Look at his 18 WCF stats. Nothing super impressive but he was the best player.

Rockets lost a lot of value in all reality.

And like I said Westbrook is declining. As in progressively. There’s a real chance he’s even worse next year. It’s actually likely. He just had another knee surgery and he’s turning 31 to start the year.

PlayBall likes this.
  4. Monkeychef02

Monkeychef02 Member

You mean after Steph took the first four games off he had energy to finish out the last two?
    Go figure. Shame Harden didn’t have that luxury.

5. fattz

fattz Member

rapid??? to sustain a triple double average is almost impossible so yes there is going to be a decline.

Note:
    It was impossible till he did it.

6. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Who's the better player? Westbrook or CP3?

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Just my opinion, I think as of today....

Westbrook can elevate a pretty average team higher than Paul could.

Paul, more than Westbrook, can help a good team be great.

harold bingo and HP3 like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

People arent really understanding that right now. They also dont understand that Paul's decision making with the ball is almost always on point.

DaDakota likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Westbrook and Harden have the same problem melo has. Mvp seasons mean too much for them. We have 2 players that are the lowest move off the ball players per stats also their usage rate is too damn high. Tag this issue with a yes man coach that doesn't make adjustments and a questionable defensive coach in Turner.

LosPollosHermanos and DaDakota like this.
  11. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Man some of y’all really hate Harden for making us the most competitive we’ve been since Hakeem. The 2009-2012 Rockets were really a treasure we should’ve stayed mediocre ;(

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Offense wont be the problem, defense will

LosPollosHermanos and HP3 like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Too early to do that, it may take some time to get that chemistry, so for me, it is all about the playoffs....if they gel and play well in the playoffs I am good.....not even championship or bust, just that they played well, and had a good chance.

If they struggle in the playoffs due to deficiencies in fit, or attitude, I will be wanting a reboot.

DD

14. IBTL

IBTL Member

Fair you are giving them one good playoff run. Thats fair.

With that in mind be critical but I hope you will not be calling to blow it up after a few losses. You are getting old like me. If you remember it even took old coog buddies olajuwon and drexler about 20 games to get it going.

The donkey dies while the grass grows. Let it grow.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Paul is Always hurt. Part of ability is availability, plus Russ is just a superior player at this point.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Year 1: Worked spectacularly

Year2: Not so much because one star was no longer on board

luckyman76 likes this.
  17. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

yea but we're better now than before in my opinion... lets see if Morey is done pulling something out of the majic hat before All Star break

18. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

It ignores that this is happening in real time and we don't know CP is gonna struggle to make shots to the degree in which he did.... It makes sense even if CP can't beat his man 1 on 1 to think that he can still hit shots since he's a very good shooter... If he did, then we beat the Warriors, but he didn't and instead missed many open shots and shots he hits with regularity... We know if CP played average or up to his ability we could've won and very likely would have won.. This sudden change in play style could've been better or worse you say? Exactly.... It's pure speculation supported by nothing that it would have helped us win... Yet this is somehow the prevailing focal point... It was "our style" and Harden's stubbornness as opposed to CP having the worst playoff series of his career.. There have been times to go in on Harden(game 6 SA), but this ain't it... This is bending over backwards to slander Harden based on pure speculation.... Or as you said... Mental gymnastics.

HP3 likes this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

this is so accurate, we were not relevant at all and were a constant 7-8th seed with no hope (unless you count lin as hope)
    harden has made us relevant and led us to some great seasons with the potential greatest team of all time being in his way

20. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You're 10% to me of what Harden is 100% to you.