1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 11, 2019.

1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

And Joe Smith?

mick fry likes this.
  2. SemisolidSnake

2:00 PM game tomorrow in open-air ballpark in Texas summer. Thank God it's the last one the Astros will ever play.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

F**k that team and their monument to stupidity.

Only time I've ever actively hated being at a game was at that yard surrounded by southern Oklahomans in 102 degrees.

Good riddance.

CometsWin likes this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Since we complain about weather, let's WIN tomorrow and complain about weather.

5. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

Anybody concerned about Osuna?

Fulgore likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Haven't figured that one. Especially considering it was a nice, long bounce. I had assumed that the error would get changed after the game, and it still could, but it hasn't yet. Considering how he caught that ball, I thought it was an amazingly accurate throw.

Rock Block and BigM like this.
  7. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Didn’t watch the game but just saw the error, I just don’t understand. The throw was accurate, Stassi failed to come up with it. It’s on him.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'd assumed it would get changed as well... it was there ahead of the runner and the catcher drops it applying the tag. Not sure how that's on the outfielder.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When a third baseman or shortstop throws a ball to first.... and it bounces before it gets to the first baseman... and eventually goes into the dugout, who is the error on? (hint, its never on the first baseman).

That's the principle they (unfortunately) had to use for the Springer throw, as you have to somehow account for the extra base the runners advanced when the ball ended up in the camera well.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Generally those throws are shorter hops that are tougher to field. This was a nice, long bounce that was easier to catch.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

By definition, any throw from the outfield (from that distance)... with a runner bearing down on home plate and possible collisions galore... is harder to field than a short hop to first.

Regardless, that's the official scorer principle. You just can't assume a bounced throw to be fielded cleanly in this game (even though this one "should" have).

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...s-insider-Roberto-Osuna-laboring-14094209.php

[...]

The 51 pitches he needed Friday and Saturday are the most he ever has thrown on back-to-back days in his career. The 27 pitches he threw were his most in a regular season game since his 2015 rookie season.

"These 50 pitches got to me tonight," he said. "I was tired. I got up three times before that inning. I was tired, I'm not gonna lie. A little bit of traffic on the bases, but I got the job done and we got the win."

He survived more than he thrived. The Rangers have proven to be tough outs, but Osuna has become less effective.

In 21 1/3 innings from March 28 to May 20, Osuna allowed seven hits and one run. He was 12-for-12 in save opportunities with a 0.42 ERA.

Then, in 10 2/3 innings from May 24 to June 23, Osuna gave up 15 hits and eight runs. His ERA was 5.91.

The hard-throwing righthander changed his repertoire after. He stopped throwing his sinker (which he used more to induce contact) and drastically cut down the use of his changeup, cutter and slider.

He is devoted to an all-out attack with his four-seam fastball. He is throwing it harder – it bumped on average from 96.6 mph to 98 mph – and more often – up from 40.4 percent to 73.5 percent.

The results in five appearances before the All-Star break were promising. He allowed one hit in five scoreless innings. Then the Rangers exposed him to start the second half of his season.

Osuna's stuff never has been criticized. His command has wavered. His WHIP has increased each month this season.

His endurance also is questionable. Astros manager A.J. Hinch used him sparingly in June, perhaps with an eye at keeping Osuna strong in the fall.

Hinch assessed Osuna's rough nights in Arlington: "Maybe just getting restarted in the second half. He's just a little bit off with his timing in his delivery. He's not missing by a ton, but he's missing by enough. This is a pretty potent team. You can't just throw the ball right down the middle."

Osuna may believe a lot in his fastball, but he struggled to spot it Saturday. The Rangers might have taken advantage of an approach Osuna has made more predictable.

For a consecutive game, the Rangers had two hits, one walk and one run off Osuna. He recorded one strikeout Friday and did not get one Saturday.

The continued excellence of Pressly (1.31 ERA in 41 1.3 innings), who punched out Joey Gallo in a big spot Saturday, and recent dominance of Josh James, (who struck out four batters in two dominant innings as the bridge to Osuna, could build the pressure needed for Hinch to reconsider which reliever is the one he has to bring in to close out wins.

In terms of James, if his four-earned-run debacle in Colorado on July 2 is removed, he has a 2.31 ERA and 21 strikeouts in 11 appearances since June 6.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Springer not in lineup.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG]

Houstunna likes this.
  15. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A little bit. The relievers in general seem to be cracking under pressure.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  16. AstrosRockets1818

Word is he didn’t wanna play another game in that **** stadium ever again. Lol

Rox Addict and mick fry like this.
  17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Stros have opportunity for a decent series instead of a crap one.

Get the dub, preferably JV.

HTown2017Champs and mick fry like this.
  18. HTown2017Champs

He just can’t wait to be finished playing in that oven.

19. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Tuve is back for real

20. HookemHorns1250

Man, it’s nice seeing Altuve getting some hits again. Hopefully he’s back to his old self.

Rox Addict likes this.