1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger Federer's Return (or Evolution)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Roxfreak724, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Ya after the Australian open last year I debating whether if it was a resurgence, evolution, or one-off event where he just got hot.

As the events of the past year have unfolded, it is, like most things, a confluence of factors. First and foremost Federer has gotten better, I don't think there is any doubt about that. Secondly, he has been in remarkable health (outside of the US Open).

However, it's hard to ignore all of the injuries that have piled on the top players (Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Wawrinka) Next, the older next generation (Raonic, Dimitrov, Nishikori, Isner, Thiem) have been plagued by injuries and even when healthy appear to have a disappointingly short ceiling. Lastly, the young next generation (Kyrgios, Zverev, Shapovalov, Tiafoe, Chung, etc.) keep showing flashes of brilliance but don't show the kind of consistency necessary to win majors.

And so it's the timing of Fed's improved backhand, his fortunate health, the lack of health for so many opponents, and a still immature young generation that I think has contributed to this dominant run. As a Fed fan, it's been fun to watch. As a fan of the sport, I am concerned about the lack of any clear successors to the big Four/Five and the lack of grand slam breakthroughs for any younger players.

In addition, the competition has not been quite as stiff. Fed's runs at Wimbledon 2017 and Australian Open 2018 (save the final) were, if I'm being brutally honest, somewhat boring. The 2017 Australian Open was amazing to watch, with Fed pulling out 3 5-setters in a row against tough competitors to win it all. I don't want to take anything away from Fed, because being present and healthy is a part of success like any other sport, but it's hard to ignore the decline of drama and entertainment with so many top players out and young players constantly being unable to make a mark.

2. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

After he went with the bigger racquet and started hitting his backhands more aggressively, the only guy that consistently gave him trouble was Djokovic (beating him in 2 Wimbledon finals and 1 US Open). He's been handling Nadal pretty well lately and I don't remember the last time he lost to Murray. It would be great to see Novak come back to his old form to take on Roger. Or maybe see him and Nadal finally play at the US Open. Unfortunately I can see something similar to last year. Nadal wins the French (Fed skips). Roger takes Wimbledon. (Novak, Murray, and Rafa either go out early or are injured). Either Rafa or someone new wins the US Open (Fed breaks down by the end of the summer, Novak and Andy still not sharp).

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm a big Fed fan but I think the disappearance of Novak is the biggest element of this. Between 2015-2016, Djokovic prevented Federer from winning a grand slam 4 times. 2 Wimbledons, 1 US open, 1 Australian, and 2 ATP Tour finals. If it wasn't for Djokovic's dominance those two years, Federer would be looking at 24 grand slams.

Pbev99 likes this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

remember when roddick thought he had a chance against fed? good times.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Their Wimbledon final was one of the greatest matches ever -- (that being said) Andy was so easy to figure out -- survive the serve, stay away from his forehand and hit defensive shots to his backhand until you controlled the point.

donkeypunch and saleem like this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

I feel like this is the same story for Tom Brady, who seems to be benefiting from era when no great qb has emerged.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

he lucky david carr had an off year. every year. or else...

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The oldest number 1 at 36 years old, and the straight set winner of the Rotterdam Open 2018. Dimitrov came under a lot of pressure from Roger's aggressive tactics and got blown away 6-2, 6-2.

Congratulations to Federer!

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought Sampras was great at attacking but Federer is more consistent.

Jontro and saleem like this.
  10. saleem

That's because of Federer's greater versatility, which gives him many options to dictate the game.

Jontro likes this.
  11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What does this say for the current state of the Men's game?

12. saleem

Congrats to Delpo for the Indian Wells victory. I always want Roger Federer to win, Juan Martin has always been my second favorite player. It's nice to see him back in form. It's very good for professional tennis too.

I hope Roger can win in Miami.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is epic...

Plowman likes this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another one for the ages...wow.

Let's go Roger!

BamBam and KingCheetah like this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Two championship points and he ****ing **** it away. Terrible.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

So brutal. What a gut punch. I’d love to see Federer rebound.

17. Fantasma Negro

Djokovic is trying his best to give this thing away. He had it won at 6-5 and proceeded to choke ever since imo

18. Fantasma Negro

Djokovic needs to close. The longer Federer plays, the craftier he becomes

19. Fantasma Negro

Damn, here we go

****ing insane

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dammit. **** that dood.