1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better fit: Iguodala or Love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Who is the better fit?

1. Love

54.2%
  2. Iggy

36.0%
  3. Neither

9.8%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

omg, just stop it with the Kevin Love fantasies

BlastOff!, rammo and D-rock like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Did not read this thread but my opinion is that Love would fit better if money wasn't an issue but Iggy, as an expiring, will be far more tradeable and give us more flexibility if a more dependable player than Love shakes loose. K-Love stays injured and has a massive deal that is virtually untradeable. I'm also not confident in his ability to switch.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

KLove sucks at switching.

He is a half court player too so will not be running and gunning with WB as well.

If Rockets cannot get Covington, then maybe send Memphis a 2nd for Bruno.

Williamson likes this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. That's basically my concern but he can shoot the three and rebound. Two of the Rockets biggest needs. My concern with Iggy is that he's not a very good shooter and while I think we could have overcame that issue pre-Westbrook trade I'm very weary of playing him now that we've added perhaps the worst shooter in league history. That said, I'd still rather a sign and trade of Shump for Iggy and the flexibility to flip Iggy later for somebody else of value than I would see them just let Shump go and no longer have the salary needed to add anyone significant without losing a rotation guy.

#64 Williamson, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  5. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

I kind of miss having Dallas as a rival. Those were the good ol days before all this GSW bs

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Come on Iggy ...would be a nice fit...

7. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

We need longer, taller 3 & D players more than anything. If we had even one of the 6'7-6'8 calibre, we would have arguably had enough to beat the warriors this year. I don't see how K-Love helps that much more. He's no tucker on defense

8. macan

macan Member

Love can stretch the floor for us and he's a better rebounder than iggy.
    plus he's buddy with westbrook that should improve our chemistry as well.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need to be on the floor to stretch it.

And Ryno could definitely rebound and stretch floor too, but even healthy he was unplayable.

macan likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

My feeling is that Love is still a big name in the eyes of a lot of people so, getting Love would mean have a big 3 etc, but that's not how it works...

mario_v and D-rock like this.
  11. rammo

rammo Member

I think Lebron is a better fit.

(Please stop with the Kevin Love stuff).

12. BlastOff!

BlastOff! Member

From a pure basketball stand point at this point in their careers, Love no question. The problem with that is he can’t stay on the floor long enough to get your value out of him. On that alone, given his contract you go Iggy.

13. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Both. If Love is healed and ready to go and wants to win he needs to take discount like Iggy will.

14. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

starting 5 of Westbrook, Harden, Iggy, Tucker and Capela sounds better than Westbrook, Harden, Shumpert, Love and Capela.

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

Can’t believe people actually think love is good. He’s a huge downgrade. And y’all want to trade Gordon AND Capela? Lol.

D-rock likes this.
  16. ItwasLuck

ItwasLuck Member

I would be happy with another 3&D wing to put next to Brodie and the Beard to fill out the starting 5 bring Gordon back off the bench as 6th man.

D-rock likes this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

No.

The idea is you add him to our core.

Adding Iman Shumpert at 13.3 and about 3 m in Non Guaranteed Contracts get it done. Send Cleveland a 1st and a few second rounders and it probably gets it done.

Russ/Rivers
    Harden/Eric
    PJ/House
    Love/Bennett
    Capela/Chandler

I DON’T SEE ANY HOLES IN THAT TEAM. We need a stretch 4 and I don’t think PJ needs to be expected to play as many minutes as he has in the past. I know it’s a high price but we are all in now and it’s worth it.

I’d probably prefer Otto Porter Jr. but Love seems like a more realistic target.

elmotsang likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

(Sorry for late follow ups. Busy day yesterday!)

Part of my thinking for that trade is that with RW onboard, and his bad outside shooting, maybe we should value outside shooting from the other positions even more now.

Specifically, from our big man. If we could play a stretch 5 for many of RW's minutes then opposing defenses couldn't just crowd the paint like they did with RW when he played with Adams; they would have to respect the 4 shooters out there with RW.

Also, I'm hoping that Rivers can give us 70% of what EGo gives us, so that the loss of EGo isn't too painful. This also hopes that House progresses and can take on heavy minutes at the SF position, and/or we acquire another SF to help him out.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I was thinking about this the other day, but we only switch everything to stay on the warriors shooters. kawhi/PG and lebron/AD are totally different. we may not switch everything on them. not that they aren't good shooters too, but the warriors happen to also be bad one on one players. switching everything was a way to prevent them from getting open looks off screens and forcing them into iso ball. we probably don't want kawhi, PG, lebron, or AD playing iso against us. they're too good at that. because of that I suspect that we may not be too concerned with switching everything on D anymore.

to your second point, Kevin love increases fast break points. he is a monster defensive rebounder, an area in which we struggle, and from there he is one of the best outlet passers if not the best in the league. Westbrook and harden can leak out on the opponent shot knowing love can grab the board and then hit them in stride down the court. lots of videos on this. youtube Kevin love outlet pass. some of them are truly amazing to watch. dude's got an arm!

finally he balances the offense with spacing but also post/paint scoring. both of which are keys to beating the LA teams. against the clippers small front court he will get easy looks inside. against the lakers he can draw AD out to the 3 point line and open the paint up for our MVPs.

yes he's been injury prone, yes he's on a big contract, and yes sometimes the favorable mismatch he forces on one end is an unfavorable mismatch on the other. but no player comes without warts but that's what makes him attainable.

I also agree with you about RoCo being top priority. he's the 3rd most impactful defender behind Gobert and dray. he would move the needle more than anyone else we could get right now. but then I'd look at love, iggy, crowder, Bruno, holiday and Sefolosha.

luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

why not both? :eek: