1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Pros of gaining WB and Cons of losing CP3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jul 13, 2019.

1. mockster

mockster Member

-PROS OF GAINING WESTBROOK-

-He is five years younger [Correction 3.5 years younger lol] then CP3 and the same age as Harden, that’s at least 3-5 years of them having a shot at the title as Paul at best had 2 seasons of decent play as we saw him drop off a bit last season already. While I think CP3 will be good player for the next 2 years his scoring has dropped off majorly and our team desperately needs another player like harden who can score in bunches.

-The contract swap is fantastic for us, we’re no longer overpaying for an older player and have options. By far a way easier contract/player to trade then CP3s if needed to acquire another player. I’m shocked thunder or anyone for that matter would take an older, injury prone player at this point of his career. We only did it because he was two years younger when we acquired him and expected and almost had championship ambitions

-James Harden and Russell Westbrook are friends and you can look back on their OKC days that they played great together. They had some pretty sweet highlight play assist between each other, something we don’t see much between CP3 and Harden. Plus the bad stigma of two point guards playing together was cleared when we saw CP3 and harden coexist. Plus once again looking back at Westbrook and harden on the floor together there shows no evidence that they wouldn’t play well together.

-Russell Westbrook is way more athletic and is a better scorer overall. Regardless of his shooting woes from 3 he still can drive in at will and hit mid rangers fairly well. He already stated last season that he plans on working on his shooting. Also the height difference does give him advantage over Chris Paul and allows him to guard taller players easier. He can easily contest SF position much better then CP3 can due to height

-He’s a great hustler and a triple double machine. While I can defiantly argue that a lot of his rebounds came from him literally fighting his teammates for every easy rebound and a lot of his passes are last second dump passes, but he is a great passer without a doubt and he is a hustler/high energy guy combined with his athletic ability he is an elite rebounder for a guard.

-Games will be more exciting for Rockets fans and nba fans alike. Westbrook is a highlight machine, he’s a very exciting player to watch and his athleticism and style is a thing of beauty. This doesn’t necessarily equal wins which should be the priority but it does make it fun to watch, at the end of the day of coarse winning matters but we all sit down and watch nba games to relax and be entertained. Westbrook I think will make our team a bit more likable and fun to watch with his exciting plays. This could mean better fan attendance and sales for the organization, positive media attention and TV viewership.

-Former MVP

-The three fashion gods James Harden, Russell Westbrook and PJ Tucker will be United. They very well may break the NBA fashion world.

-CONS OF LOSING CHRIS PAUL

-Has very good defensive even for his age and was always about being a hustler player

-Elite passer and Ball handler, I think Westbrook is up there but we’re talking about the point god here.

-Basically a second coach and team leader. He had a talent for being a floor general.

-Fairly clutch and comes out in tough moments, we saw this in the warriors series two seasons ago before he got hurt.

-Has a lot of heart and is very passionate about the game

-Way better shooter

-Gave this organization a shot when he had plenty of other options at the time including teaming up with Lebron

-flop artist

-OVERALL CONCLUSION-

I think Westbrook and Harden will be a way better pairing then Harden and CP3. We never seen much passing and connection between Harden and CP3, we’ve already seen evidence that WB and Harden have a good connection and pass between each other much better, which will result in better play making and getting the most out of your two superstars on the floor together.

We’re talking about Two players who both just recently won MVP within the last 3 years at the peak of their careers who are also great friends. I think if Westbrook works on his shooting like he said he is and doesn’t ball hog will be fine, plus I don’t think Westbrook has ever played on a team that actually has players who can space the floor and rely on. His life will be so much easier having guys like Eric Gordon and Harden [Even Austin Rivers] creating their own shots, taking off pressure for him so he doesn’t feel inclined to force shots to will his team to victory. Plus he’ll have reliable options like capela, tucker, rivers, [Whoever becomes our SF], green, Gordon and etc.

#1 mockster, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    anchel, Chad Butler and CCity Zero like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he's 3.5yrs younger than cp3 not 5

CCity Zero and mockster like this.
  3. Caprah

Caprah Member

The pros of getting Russ over Paul far out weigh the cons

Chad Butler likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

For the friends angle, it actually goes back before their days in OKC.

So, it's a lot like Josh Smith and Dwight Howard who, if you didn't know, played on the same AAU team.

Roomba, Patience, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

But it's kind of like 6, with the injuries (I'm not not serious on that). Man, i honestly think a CP3 in his late 20s/early early 30s would have been able to have worked out even better than season 1 we saw, just sucks, father time is cruel.

joshuaao, mockster and pippendagimp like this.
  6. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Wait. There's cons to losing cp3?

MD_in_Training likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

But better, right?? Haha, this is going to be on repeat now, like the AAU thing

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Pro: We needed to do something..

Con: You usually gain a 1at rd pick when you trade a "max" player somewhere..

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya i've been dealing with all kinds of stuff like patellar tendonitis, sore achilles, etc myself while playing ball just twice a week. **** father time :D

Hakeemtheking, juanm34 and CCity Zero like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly man!! Same here!

I really hope this trade works, but I don't understand the hate this board gives CP3 sometimes, I mean that first season was amazing, if we got even 1 or 2 more of those, Houston would have a chip.

pippendagimp likes this.
  11. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately Cp3 is a "max" player only because of his salary. Not his ability.

dejamike, amaru and javal_lon like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yeah his body failed him, but otherwise he was very good for us. and the rift between him and harden seems to be very blown out of proportion. i mean for the first 5 games of the GS series they were both coming out together in the postgame pressers and seemed perfectly fine with each other. with westbrook, like Clutch i am not a fan of some aspects of his inefficient game. however i do respect him otherwise and i don't think chemistry is going to be a problem. very oddly enough, out of all the talking heads in the media, barkley has made the most insightful comments about this pairing. saying that russ needs to play 2 guard and let harden run the show. if russ is able to improve his percentages on open 3's and FT's, then this could work. we'll see

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I have a feeling the national telecasts will mention it every now and then, or at least talk about their friendship.

Hopefully it will mean they are more willing to work with each other too.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

To ne fair was lbj a better option last year for him? That team was full of injury prone guys. U would have added one more plus have traded some of ur young guys to get him like we did.

In short I think your point of lbj being a better spot for him is questionable. Lasts years Lakers that is

15. BleedsRocketRed

Injuries and contract aside, I became a huge fan of CP3 during his time in Houston.

I am mostly going to miss his crafty ability to split the defense and constantly keep getting that corner jumper on the elbows. That thing was money and seeing a midrange in our offense was a welcomed addition.

His ability to steal the ball in the paint. His BB IQ is GOAT level inside the arch defensively. His ability to strip, swipe, poke the ball away to create a break/turnover is one that I just dont see Westbrook being able to do.

He was a voice and a leader. Always pro Rockets and pro TEAM. Never took the credit but gave all the praise. Openly voiced support for Harden's MVP runs, always gave credit to Tucker and Capela. Gordon when he was hot. Dude just wanted to win here and I respect his gritty style of play and his overall team-first approach.

At times, I loved watching a CP3 led Rockets offense. It was a welcome change of pace once a while and you saw his ability to control the floor. Nobody else has that ability, and it was a pleasure to watch.

And finally. he actually WANTED to come here, and wanted to make it work. Sure, the contract stings, but you cant expect the NBAPA president to take a pay cut. That's a conflict of interest regarding the greater good of the Players Association so I dont blame him.

I will never forget the 2017-2018 run. Without him, we never make it that far. Ironically, it was losing him that cost us the championship.

Ill look back at the CP3 era and have nothing but love for him. I loathed him when he was in NO and LA. He honestly gave us all he had and actually wanted to come to Houston, its just unfortunate there looks to be not much left. Its a move we had to do. If we could have kept him, I am sure we would.

#15 BleedsRocketRed, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  16. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Where is the Bastketball IQ con of losing CP3 and Gaining WB?

juanm34 likes this.
  17. anchel

anchel Member

Good post. Looking forward to see Westbrook's adjustments. Not very optimistic there, but you never know. It is a fresh start for him too. I'm open to be gladly impressed.

lilbird20 likes this.
  18. KIDLAT

KIDLAT Mahirap maging pogi
    Supporting Member

Exactly my sentiment

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i never thought we would have beat the thunder last year if we had met them in the first round of the playoffs.

As much as i can see all of his obvious flaws as basketball player, i do acknowledge what he does do that doesn't show up in his stats: RW wears the other team out. He puts a lot of pressure on the other team having to constantly play transition D, which tires their legs out, which leads to missing shots on the other end, gassing them by the fourth quarter.

With RW running the break, James harden trailing, someone else will be wide open for a 3: Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker. I can see this being a career year for EG. A lot of those setups from Paul weren't good enough to get him wide-open shots. But with Russ and James commanding double teams, that deep 3 from EG should be there. CC should also benefit sprinting down the floor with russ for easy dunks.

We are just basically hoping that this advantage in the fast break supercedes the disadvantages of having Russ off the ball in a seven game series.....

and one thing we do know is: Russ can probably play 40 minutes a game in the playoffs if needed.

We may as well just give him the ball and let him do his thing.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

...because high BBIQ somehow heals hamstrings and reverses time so that CP3 stays at age 29 forever?