1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Play GM: Paul, Westbrook, or the sum of their parts?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Jul 13, 2019.

?

Which would you rather have on the Rockets, now?

1. Russell Westbrook

62.5%
  2. Chris Paul, 2024 1st, 2026 1st

28.1%
  3. Beverley, Dekker, Williams, Harrell, Hilliard, Wiltjer, 2018 1st (Spellman), 2024 1st, 2026 1st

9.4%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes, this is not a groundbreaking thread. I just wanted to illustrate that where we are is more than just Paul vs Westbrook. (Though I realize what is done cannot be undone. It's just a hypothetical.)

What's the temperature of Clutchfans when the trade is presented this way? Are you down with it?

My take is that I'm OK with what we gave up for Paul. It was steep, but we were on the edge of a ring against one of the greatest teams of all time, minus a perfectly timed injury.

However, when you stack on top of that what we gave up to then turn Paul into Westbrook, it gets even heavier.

I loved Clutch's writeup. Based on this price, we have to win. And fans can't go nuts next offseasion (though they will) if we don't win and we're still out of assets, and say it's because of a cheap owner conspiracy.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I always want the one biggest star in any trade, because you can supplement the rest.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Fair. I'm not advocating going back to Bev/Williams/etc. But I personally feel that Paul for Westbrook is a lateral move, and I'm stuck on giving away the 1st round picks that we could have used to upgrade depth.

I know CFs has been pretty pro-Westbrook overall, but as I read Clutch's writeup I found myself agreeing with everything.

4. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Bev, Lou and Harrell are useful players. Rest were certified scrubs in Dekker and co. As far as the 1st round picks, morey draft record is meh so you never know.

At the end it's a steep price for a 30 yr old WB who does the same things Harden does. But you were not winning with the rest either. So basically you were wasting Harden's prime.

If they were to keep the picks, you keep them, trade Harden and go full rebuild. Keeping the picks and Harden is neither here nor there. It meant making the playoffs and a 1st or 2nd round at best exit.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah this is the correct answer.
    People don’t seem to realize in sports terms a dollar bill is worth more than 4 (or hell even 5) quarters.
    It’s a scarcity thing for one, and it’s a roster spot consolidation thing for another.
    You get the star and best player in the exchange and like 9 times out of 10 you will be better for it.
    Beverley, LOU Williams and Harrell are nice players. They don’t move the needle all that much for winning a title.
    The numbers say something like star #1 is worth like 40 percent of a title, star #2 is worth like 25 and star 3 worth 20. Everyone else adds up to like 5%
    Don’t overthink. Get the best player.

tmoney1101 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Jimmy Butler

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

@napalm06 im surprised to see that we agree

8. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

I really liked Harrell and Bev but who thinks we’d be better off with the cp3 package is delusional. Role players are role players, you ain’t winning with only one proper ball handler and one star in the team in todays nba. If we kept all these players Harden would eventually burn out in the playoffs particularly at the end of games it’s easier to load up on him when no one else can create anything off the dribble except him. We would never be real contenders with Harden and bunch of role players. It was the right move for Cp3 and it almost brought us a championship and it was the right move for Westbrook given Cp3s age and a contract that would kill us when he inevitably declines further.

Westbrook and Harden are aligned more or less with their age and primes and this is the final move and final try for the next few years to win a chip. I’m happy cause we will be relevant for at least 3 more years and with cp3 I believe this would be the last one.

Yes one could argue that we could’ve packaged all these assets for another perhaps better star than cp3 or Westbrook. Yea maybe but would we get anyone better long term? Or for a one year rental?

I for one am super excited for Harden - Westbrook era and all these nonsense non fit conversations will end very fast like they did with cp3 in the first year. Hopefully Westbrook doesn’t decline for a few years and we enjoy the ride and another real shot at a championship. In my opinion better than it was against GSW Durant era.. Yeah the west got better I get it, but sorry no one is convincing me that clippers and lakers are even close to GSW. Sorry but no that type of shooting and ball movement with the cheat code get me a bucket Durant was for GSW. No not even close. Media is underestimating us because they like new stories and hate Houston in general. We will be feared and everyone will shut up after 10-15 games in the season when we come out firing on all cylinders. Our title odds are bigger than ever.

9. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Have all those picks and players and still be able to only trade half for Westbrook

But trying out CP3 was worth a shot tho I guess

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Value talent, picks and expiring contracts allow you to be a player when a major player becomes available. To forfeit that opportunity to assemble and seemingly lock yourself into - a 2nd tier roster (a team that is far from sure thing) - seems unMorey-like.

I feel boxed in right now. It's unnerving and I don't like it. Once all resources are extinguished you have to slash and burn. Better get some fruit out of the harvest.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Even if you picked "parts" over "superstar," we've had Bev, Harrell, Wiltjer, Williams and Dekker on this team before, and it didn't amount to anything. A caveat I'll make is that, if we DIDN'T have a Harden in place, then I might be compelled to choose the "parts" option, since Westbrook can't be the main guy on a championship team.

But, because we have a James Harden: like @AroundTheWorld said, you always want to get the biggest star, as not only is he more "proven," but he's also the surest thing.

Could some of the picks or pick swaps we gave up turn out to be the next great NBA superstar? Sure. But because the window of championship aspirations is in the here and now, you go with the proven superstar over the supposed depth + future players.

AroundTheWorld likes this.