1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: BREAKING Westbrook to Houston for CP3 & Picks!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

preach...I don’t get all this love for Kevin Love

I don’t want to give up either EG or Capela for him

yeah, we need help on the wings...not aging, injury prone Love

hakeem94, Cdub37, bmd and 3 others like this.
  2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Totally agree with you about Love. He's just not a good fit with the Rockets with his defensive limitation and he's just not that good when all he is asked to do is spot up in the corner.

I don't mind older players tho if they are Iggy or Crowder. Simmons for the vet min would be interesting despite his lack of 3 point shooting.

Covington would be perfect, but Rockets have little to zero chance of getting him. BTW who's AG & Chuma?

D-rock likes this.
  3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

4. JW86

JW86 Member

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Aaron Gordon and Chuma Okeke.

Orlando has FOUR starting PF on their roster: 3 young first round picks (Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac, Aaron Gordon) and Aminu.

Not going to find meaningful minutes for all those guys.

Plus Magic are considering playing their 2 Centers together at times: Vucevic (their only All Star player) and Mo Bamba (another 1st round pick).

Both Centers have 3 point range.

joshuaao and blahblehblah like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Orlando Magic website does not even list Aaron Gordon on their top 10 list of PF for 2019-2020.

And this site is notorious for being homers.

They do list Jonathan Isaac as PF honorable mention. Take that as you will.

https://www.nba.com/magic/ranking-best-power-forwards-1-20190710

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly. We'd have to give up players we need more than Love.

hakeem94, D-rock, Reeko and 1 other person like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'd edit my above post but can't on my phone.

To add, what is the love for Love? If you were my wife, I'd get it: "He's so beautiful." But that's a big contract to get an outside-shooting big who plays defense like I would. Except I have the excuse of being 6'2", middle-aged, etcetera.

hakeem94, mario_v, saleem and 3 others like this.
  9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Anyone heard if they have scheduled an introductory press conference for introducing RW to the team?

10. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Next week likely.

11. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Next week likely

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Man I’d love to get Gordon and just realized they’re loaded on PF’s. Are they rumored to be looking to move him and anyone know what it’d take to get him?

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think Aminu would also do a lot for us.

D-rock likes this.
  14. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Wow has to be crazy emotional for thunder fans

D-rock likes this.
  15. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Great post!!

ghettocheeze likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Magic FO keep saying they are running it back but writing is on the wall, they really need PG upgrade and another wing scorer.

Fultz could be the answer to both needs but he's still long ways away from 100%, let alone knocking off all the rust and expectations.

Their newest 1st rounder is also recovering from injury (Chuma).

They absolutely love Isaac and he complements their best player, Vucevic, perfectly because of his elite D and rim protection.

With signing of Aminu, it just looks like AG is odd man out. Or they could move him back to SF, which would play him out of position and hinder his growth. Again.

But AG is on great team friendly contract and still so young so he wont be cheap. Just dreamcasting.

Covington, Aminu and even Bruno, would be excellent fits as well.

Rox>Mavs likes this.
  17. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I’m on the fence about the Westbrook trade but willing to wait and see. It dramatically lowers our floor and dramatically raises our ceiling. Very high variance.

However, you are being unfair to Westbrook about paul George. WB ceded to George who had his best season ever. Also, when everyone thought PG would jump to the lakers, he immediately re-signed with OKC specifically bc of WB. It’s pretty clear the chance of going to a ready made champion team, the current best player in the league and going home (which has been his goal for a long time) was the driving factor on PG leaving.

Also recall that WB and KD nearly took down an excellent warriors team. harden is just about as good as KD and our supporting players may be better than that team.

Reasons for concerns with WB are clear. He’s highly inefficient, a bad three point shooter and frequently not smart and does not fit our system. Also I worry about the defense with James. But he is 4 years younger than CP and a massive talent upgrade. He rebounds, is intense, explodes to the basket, and can break opposing teams by himself. He will be in a spacing system with lots of room to drive (he was hard to stop even when the lane is cluttered) and has never had an equally team breaking partner who can not only also drive but can shoot the three. Imagine the possibility of WB driving the lane with Harden also ready to drive and Capela or Chandler rolling and PJ or Gordon or Rivers the wings. WB will play the Giannis role, except now you have Harden in the backcourt.

This is a really a test case of talent vs fit.

Put it another way, two really smart GMs both thought it was appropriate to send 2 picks and 2 swaps with CP to get WB. There’s no question that WB is the better value, right now. How much can be debated, but it was clearly at least a fair gap for BOTH GMs to agree. I get that Morey May have been pressured; but it he thought it was an even exchange there’s no way you would get to 4 draft assets.

hakeem94, Invisible Fan and Kim like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Miami Heat's interest in Westbrook and coolness of CP is a test case in Morey's likely Market Research of how the league values Westbrook and CP and how to pivot away from them.

19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

How long is that KD contract in Brooklyn? Maybe he will want to team up in Houston when it’s done.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Can opt out after 3 years. Summer 2022

DM'sVP likes this.