1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets sacrifice their future to get Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2019.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

“Lillard really ruined a whole franchise with one shot”

Rocket River likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The second is not only possible but maybe even almost probable, i think the Rockets switch everything defense - if they keep it - almost forces a reckoning. Russ is physically able to do it unlike a Melo.

The first...well...lets hope shot selection is the driver here...heh

tmoney1101 likes this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

And then got swept with easy by Curry

4. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Excellent article by clutch

James Harden runs the show and has run out two players @vlaurelio

Secondly, this reeks of Tilman @tinman and @Rasheed want to deny this and keep saying he is a great owner

#84 BeardNation13, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

No doubt a perceptive analysis, the best I have read. I just hope it works out better than many of us think it will. Morey gives away first round draft choices like peanuts.I am afraid that is going to haunt the orgainzation in the future when he is gone.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hilarious, regardless of how you might feel about the trade. I loved it when he was wearing a Sonics t-shirt and laughing hysterically. If I was from Seattle, I'd be doing just that. OKC just imploded! They should start calling it Rebuild City.

Williamson and Rocket River like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I keep seeing this image of Westbrook and Harden, both with their hands gripping the ball, fighting for it as the shot clock expires.

deb4rockets and B-Bob like this.
  8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

From @Clutch's post:
    Exactly. This is James and Russ getting what they want, and leaving the Rockets to pay the price afterward. It's part of the bigger picture of star players gaining and using more leverage over franchises.

The alternative is losing your stars. Get used to it.

B-Bob and Williamson like this.
  9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

God bless you for giving me this rationalization to cling to.

Deckard, SS0101, Clutch and 1 other person like this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Too freaking funny. People need to watch this; I dare you not to laugh

11. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

What future? CP3 is not going to get any better and his contract makes us difficult to sign any good role player other than minimum contracts. I am not a big fan of Russ but if it does not work out we can at least trade him for some decent value.

12. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

This is a classic "I'm getting fired if this doesn't work, so who cares about the future" trade. Everyone is gunning for the championship now. It's gonna be fun.

At first this trade didn't make sense but when you think about it, this was a move the Rockets had to make. This is a league where you need 3 or 4 superstars to be competitive. The other teams really have no chance and it sucks for them.

It's going to be an interesting season.

13. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

PREACH!

forchette49 likes this.
  14. Handles

Handles Member

Are we all in? I think Westbrook is very tradeable. More than CP. so that’s a route we could take if it doesn’t work out.

Plus, who is on our team that we’ve even drafted? Capela, Hartenstein, Clark, and.... ? I don’t think the rockets rely much on draft picks, for better or worse. Doesn’t seem like the steepest price to me.

I love you and your site clutch, but I think you’re a little biased due to your dislike for Westbrook. If anything I think it’s a lateral (or only slightly upwards) move all things considered.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  15. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

You're always reasonable, and I appreciate it. What we can never know, and will never know are two things...

1) Exactly how bad it truly was with Paul and Harden. And how much worse it would have gotten.

And 2) How far off Paul would/will continue to fall off, performance-wise.

I don't have an issue with any of your concerns about Russ.

I couldn't disagree with you more about Paul's value moving forward. I see him as a horrible, horrible, horrible anchor going forward, and I'm deliriously happy to be rid of him.

2018 Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals sucked. It really sucked, it will never not suck, and it will always suck. But it happened, and that was as close to the mountaintop as we were ever going to get with Paul. Similar to the WCF we got to with Dwight.

I'm glad we recognized it and made a move. Whether Westbrook can work with Harden, I don't know. I know that I have 0 belief it would have worked with Paul.

And I definitely see Westbrook as more moveable going forward than Paul.

Would I have preferred Butler with Paul? Sure. Butler didn't choose us. Maybe because he knows Paul is dusted.

But my bottom line here is this: I take no issue whatsoever with any of your reservations about Brodie. Those of us in favor of the deal are mostly so because we think Chris Paul was going to drag this franchise to the bottom of the ocean over the next 3 years.

If you disagree, that's cool. Still thanks for the site.

joshuaao, Deuce, Clutch and 1 other person like this.
  16. Rokman

Rokman Member

Russell Westbrook is one of the ugliest things I've seen. Brother looks like gollum.

17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Thanks for the Pelton quote, dude is a machine when it comes to analytics and pumping out articles.
    I generally agree with his take here, EXCEPT for the idea that it would've cost the Rockets just as many draft picks if they wanted to get rid of CP3's contract (this year).

I think CP3 has neutral value as an asset to certain teams, like the Mavs & Heat. I wouldn't be surprise if OKC traded CP3 to either team at the cost of only taking back Hardaway/Lee (Mavs) or Waiter/Olynyk/JJohnson. Expiring or 2 year contracts, with no draft picks required.

Regarding the trade for Westbrook, I generally agree with Clutch's points, but am still a fan of the trade. The trade indeed could be a disaster... Westbrook's shooting woes greatly inhibits/constrict Harden's/rockets offense, Westbrook is incapable or does not adjust his game enough, Defensively the two are horrible together, losses/disappointment leads to personality clashes - All of these are very possible negative outcomes.

On the positive side - Westbrook may change his offense substantially, become more efficient due to eliminating long 2's and pull up 3's. Westbrook on the ball leads to more rest for Harden as well as more spot up threes/easy shots. Westbrook's energy/explosiveness gives the Rockets a new threat/unpredictability especially in the playoffs.

This trade can be a disaster or grand success. It adds a great deal of unpredictability and variance to the Rockets next season and personally speaking that sounds extremely entertaining.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

This is an epic thread, great takes on both sides. Thanks for the article, Clutch, a great read even though we are all hoping you are wrong on this one.

B-Bob and xaos like this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They traded picks after all their contracts expire

20. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member