1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Presti (part deux)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by burnshroom, Jul 12, 2019.

1. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

It’s Friday June 22, 2012 and despite the fact that you lost to the NBA Champion Miami Heat with Lebron James and Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, you are ecstatic.

You think, yeah we lost but we went to the Finals with a core group of players, Kevin Durant (23), Russell Westbriook (23), James Harden (22), Serge Ibaka (22) and Reggie Jackson (22), that is on average under 23 years old, our future is bright. We build on this and our dynasty is S-E-T.

Seven years and 20 days later, not a SINGLE one of those players are left on your squad.

This has got to be one of the worst franchise histories I have ever seen.

The only saving grace I can see out of this, is that you know Presti has an eye for talent so his draft pick haul can still save the franchise. But that fall is an epic one to say the least.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Presti got one Finals appearance out of them.

Morey has yet to see that one in 12 years.

3. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Given, but when did we have that level of talent on the squad? We had Parsons, Lin and Howard.

So not the same...

don grahamleone, D-rock and roslolian like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

When did Morey have 3 consecutive Top 3 picks to work with?

jcf, Richie_Rich, Deckard and 10 others like this.
  5. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

When the hell did morey pick someone as good as Ibaka with a late 1st rounder? And let's not pretend like Capela is as good as peak Ibaka.

No guarantees Morey would pick as well as Presti with the top picks. Remember he believed in #6 Johnyy Flynn and by most accounts was very interested in moving up to draft Ricky freakin Rubio. Cmon now

Presti is definitely a better drafter than Morey

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ask Leslie......

Sure, can't compare them 1 to 1..... but if he were truly genius I think 1 Finals appearance by Year 7 or 9 is not something too much to ask for isn't it?

7. steddinotayto

When he became the Rockets official GM he inherited a team with an injury prone All-Star center and an All-Star swingman that was on the decline. He didn't officially acquire his own All-Star player until Harden. Between the Yao/McGrady era and Harden's arrival, I don't think Morey had the option to commit to a full rebuild to net him the necessary assets (e.g. Top 5 picks) to compete. If you are to judge Morey from the time he got his OWN All-Star, Harden, they've made the playoffs every season with two WCF appearances. Morey has had to do it the hard way: build a competitive team through trades and FA signings. He's far from perfect but given what he had to work with and given how the NBA landscape has changed (the emerging big 3 era; Golden State) the Rockets have done relatively well.

Do I hope we have at least one Finals appearance by now? Sure, who wouldn't? But it's not like Morey had, at one time, 4 of the Top 30-40 players in the league. No one could have predicted Harden's emergence as one of the all time great SGs but the signs were there that he was damn good and was at least All-Star caliber (whoever didn't see this don't know basketball).

Presti can run circles around Morey when it comes to drafting, sure, because the facts are there. However, the facts are also there that:

Durant was pretty much 1B to Oden's 1A in 2007. Presti simply took the best player available with the #2 pick.
    Westbrook was in the same group as Kevin Love, Eric Gordon and Danilo Gallinari at #4 in 2008. If he didn't pick Russ he would have at least picked a 6th man of the year candidate.

Harden's selection is definitely the one out of the three that I'll give Presti a lot of credit for because Tyreke Evans, Jonny Flynn and Rubio were super hyped at that time.

The other fact is that he should have kept all three. There's no way around it. I don't care if the owner was cheap and wanted to cut costs or whatever the reason(s) was/were: Presti should have kept all three. This isn't some hindsight bullshit either. Those three, together, got to the Finals!!!

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's just call it for what it is.

Presti is the vastly superior guy drafting players while Morey is better overall architect and was better at trades involving players.

OKC's owner does not meddle though, I dun know for sure but that is the impression.

I thought he wanted to pay someone like Ibaka and not Harden.

#8 daywalker02, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The WCF in 2018 was the Finals.

Asking for a Finals appearance in that instance is akin to asking for a championship. And yes, that is a lot to ask. Takes a little luck, as we found out.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

OKC wanted to pay Ibaka and Perkins while trying to get a discount from Harden. I think that's meddling.

11. steddinotayto

Even at that time the thought of moving Harden because OKC didn't want to amnesty Perk was comical.

Patience and daywalker02 like this.
  12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Presti also had 2 top 3 draft picks and a top 5, Morey would ****ing die if he had a top 5 pick. Ever.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If his ownership wasn't cheap and gave harden his max then we might not be talking about this. His star player left despite being up 3-1 on the WCF. I think he has done pretty well despite the circumstances.

14. Air Langhi

Morey hasn't shown he is that good at drafting.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Hahahahhahahaha...what? He's a pretty good evaluator of talent, if you disagree with that you're just being biased.

don grahamleone and roslolian like this.
  16. Air Langhi

How many morey draft picks have made serious contribution the last few years. I can really only think of Clint.

17. adoo

adoo Member

???

Morey equated JLin to Iverson, CP3 and LBJ.
    on that basis, he kicked a proven young productive pg for the Rox, Dragic, out of the door, and proceeded to sign the flash-in-the-pan, JLin ,
    to a poisoned-pill FA contract. 2 yrs later, he paid the LAL w 1st/2nd rounders to take on Lin's contract

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Your entire argument that Morey is a poor evaluator of talent is Jeremy Lin? Let's ignore Clint Capela, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Montrezl Harrell, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Danuel House, Patrick Beverley and all the other players he's gotten right. No no, please...keep telling me more junk about Jeremy Lin.

Did you even consider that Leslie Alexander demanded the trade for Lin? No? Then you're not paying attention.

[Edit: I didn't even mention his biggest hit, Harden.]

#18 seclusion, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You can't just weigh draft picks and ignore what Morey has done with undrafted free agents because he rarely has picks to work with and picks beyond the lottery are a complete crapshoot. That's why I said evaluator of talent and not just evaluator of draft talent. See my reply to the other chap.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He took a team from freaking Oklahoma City, whose population is half of Austin, to the finals and WCFs. Presti deserves lots of credit for that. He can't pick coaches for ****, but sure can pick talent.

Plowman likes this.