1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey was given the order from the Tillmans to complete this trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

JB Fertittastaff?

2. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I trust Morey a lot, but also in a league where superstars have more power than ever to force their way off teams, I also like keeping our superstar happy. I sometimes feel like Morey doesn't factor in player happiness enough.

Thefabman likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's on Tilman now to spend the money to make his decision work. He can't blame Les Alexander for making him sign the CP contract anymore.

JVL713 likes this.
  4. The Law

The Law Member

Please let me know the last time we did anything useful in the draft. Would have to be Capela, right?

Furthermore, tell me a WC team that is built to contend right now that has relied on their draft picks to do so and not to build through free agency and trades. The Warriors are literally the only team that did that and they still have utilized the trade market and FA market to build a consistent championship caliber team.

The draft picks you speak of are in James Harden’s mid-30’s. The window is now, and they did what they had to do to maximize JH’s prime years.

Long story, short. Quit your b****in’

IBTL likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Totally believe that this is highly likely. Mainly because GM's like Presti & Morey hardly ever make trades like this in the middle of July after the league already settles their primary contracts around. Presti only does this if he's blown away with a haul, and believe it or not.... the Rockets actually gave up ALOT with this deal.

I hope I'm wrong here again, but I definitely see Morey's time here very limited to maybe just one more season. This deal just screams short term, and really throws the playbook out the window that the Rockets have used since Morey came on board & transitioned the org from the Yao/Tracy years. Future assets matter and in this case it was about winning July to make a big PR splash, and get talked about on First Take for a day.

The fact is Presti should have been giving the Rockets a pick to take that final year of Russ' contract (47 MILLION dollars).

Tillman got desperate at the worst possible time of the year to get desperate.... all so he could get his team in the headlines. Russ makes this team marginally better so its fine to make a deal for him, but you should NOT be paying a premium in draft assets for him on that contract..,.. period.

Little Bit, Easy and xaos like this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Relax. It's not like Morey always gets it right. He's made plenty of mistakes.

People are using this little nugget of information to justify their hate for Tilman. Tilman talked with Harden, Tilman talked to Morey. Tilman made a decision. This is what all owners do.

No one knows how this will all pan out. We all must wait and see.

It looks like there was probably some real issues between Harden and Paul. I think our options to unload Paul were very limited. This may very well have been the best deal out there.

I don't love this deal. I don't hate this deal. I am looking forward to the season to see how this plays out.

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

It was a good trade regardless. Harden and CP3 can not coexist as speculated, the rockets need do something, and then did it.

8. MC31B

MC31B Member

If everyone just going to ignore the pick protections? If the Rocket's need to tank then they are going to tank HARD. That option is still open. The Rocket's just essentially traded 3 late first rounders for Westbrook.
    I'm not crazy about the trade either. But I do have to admit that the only offense Harden will ever be interested in is "your turn my turn" and Westbrook is basically the same. The style may be ugly and I still think the clippers have the edge, but Westbrook is probably a better fit than Paul.

9. AalyMD

AalyMD Member

Yall are crazy. Cp3 couldnt get past kevon looney or jerebko. Westbrook is the best player hes ever had next to him in a rockets jersey. Poor harden has been gicen a declining dwight and declining cp3. Thats a damn shame. Some pressure will be taken off of harden FOR ONCE. westbrook averages 13 ast on this team.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol and it is probably the right move to make so I'm not going to be mad about Tilman wanting out of Paul's contract.

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Morey just got a new deal last year, that cheap owner is not going to pay additional money to get a new GM.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Clutchfans during the 18/19 season: We need someone to take pressure off of Harden. He's carrying the team every night

*Morey gets a player that can score and replace old man Paul*

Clutchfans post trade: Wait wait wait.....I liked this trade at first but now that it's rumored that Tilman made Morey do this...I HATE IT! Bring back one hammy Chris!

13. cml750

cml750 Member

I was not disagreeing with you only making an observation. I meant no disrespect. I guess this is a pitfall of creating a username that references a specific player because the player may not always be on the team or you may sour on the player.

BeardNation13 likes this.
  14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wish I had your optimism. But that's the thing about Westbrook - he needs the ball in his hands to do the things he actually is elite at. He's virtually worthless if the ball isn't in his hands.

harold bingo likes this.
  15. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

You are being civil so I will engage you. My username is meant to be exactly what it means. In short - Harden controls this franchise by the balls, it's his and he can do what he wants

cml750 likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It might not be his call. I'm sure he's perfectly capable of negotiating his way out of that contract. Especially when he'll have the leverage of another team giving him another offer that dwarf's the one he has now.

17. ch44

ch44 Member

I love him, but I heard it came directly from Harden. Him or me situation. Not 100%, but from a trustworthy source.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Harden and WB were starting to talk this trade to bring WB to Houston after the PG trading to LAC according to the report, the credit of this trade needs go to Harden, not the owner, plus that Morey is such a star w****, it is hard to image that he was not going for this trade.

IBTL likes this.
  19. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Thanks for the info!

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hasn't even taken two years for his sons to get in on things.

Jesus Christ.

I thought we had more time of his family butting out.

I don't like him, or this, at all.

Am envisioning Morey leaving on his own accord in the coming seasons after he's had enough of a spoilt bratty kid telling him how to do the job he's been doing for over a decade.

malakas likes this.