1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did you not watch CP3 in 2018-2019?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets1897, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

Did any of you complaining about this trade watch CP3 in 2018/2019 season? Are you guys still in 2017/2018? Chris Paul fell off a cliff last season and went from superstar to maybe we would be better of starting Austin Rivers...

Do you guys need to be reminded off:

Game 2 vs warriors - 6-14 FG and 2/7 from 3

Game 5 vs warriors - 3-14 FG and 0/6 from 3

17,18,14,13,11 points in first 5 games. He recorded once 7 assists and everything else was below? Yeah okay Westbrook is not a great 3 point shooter but it’s not like Chris Paul is an elite catch and shoot player. His release is very slow and his 3 point percentage dropped cause he lost legs and explosiveness to get off his shot in isolation. I watched him all season long struggling beating bigs off the dribble or get his shot off. Jonas Jerebko gave him trouble...

This version of Chris Paul is not better than Westbrook.

This is a masterpiece by Morey, this team was doomed for the door getting slammed on the title window and it got wide open now again.

Good luck to CP3 and thanks for almost winning us a title in 2017-2018 but this was the right move.

2. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I was hesitant but went back and watched a few games last night and did notice CP3 was having trouble in all aspects of his game.

3. dejamike

dejamike Member

Like I was said in one of the pre trade rumors post, if we are still going to heavily relies on iso, it is actually not bad to have another GREAT iso player to play along with Harden. By having WB alongside with Harden, he will actually have gas left at the end of games. CP3 couldn’t provide that.

Corpusfan, vlaurelio, Ramo$e and 7 others like this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Kind of hard to put up all-star numbers next to a guy with a 40+ usage rate.

He will probably be close to 18 and 10 next year, if he sticks to OKC. He definitely lost a step, not denying that, but his feel and IQ for the game is still off the charts.

tycoonchip, Ramo$e, MC31B and 5 others like this.
  5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I'm kinda in the middle on this trade but one bright spot is WB's ability to draw fouls. Even though his FT% declined drastically, that constant pressure will actually make life a little easier for Harden. Other teams will be in the penalty a lot sooner and perimeter starters should see less court time with Harden and WB drawing fouls at an elite pace.

bmelo, RyanB and hakeem94 like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't see very many people bemoaning the loss of Chris Paul. It's very possible Westbrook makes us better.

But those of us that aren't fans of this trade don't think Westbrook really moves the meter for us (and will soon start his own decline), and we locked ourselves into a tight spot for many years to come. Far beyond what we were in with Paul.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Have you not watched wb the last couple of years. Of course you haven’t. He’s worse and a worse fit for this team specifically

Y2JT and malakas like this.
  8. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

If ISO ball is to have ONE ball dominant guard create while the other players react to defensive adjustment.

What is it called to have TWO ball dominant guards create while other players react to defensive adjustments? DUECO, DANCE-O...?

MC31B, chimera34 and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I honestly thought there was no way of getting a player of Westbrook's caliber for CP3's current woes.

jojolover, Mr.Scary, vince and 3 others like this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

These were my exact thoughts several times last season.

That said, you have to wonder what Rivers is thinking now- increased PT due to CP3's health had to be a factor in his decision in taking less $ to stay.

Ramo$e, BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  11. The Law

The Law Member

Completely agree with you dude but this Clutchfans is like your great Uncle Albert. They are old and set in their ways. There will be no convincing them, you just have to embrace the hate.

It took some of these mofo’s 3 years to get over Jeremy freaking Lin leaving us, it might take decades for them to get over CP3’s absence.

Ramo$e, Harrisment, lw17 and 3 others like this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm not going to put down Cp3's playoff performances while having T-mac 2.0 on the team now.

Westbrook hasn't been out of the first round since KD left. He's got warts and it's yet to be seen if he will be any better here

malakas likes this.
  13. opticon

opticon Member

When Chris was healthy in year 1 of being here we could not be stoped because he was able to roast guys at will. Westbrook despite all his worts can still roast fools. Having two elite one on one players will makes us at least as good as we were two years ago if not better.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Did you not watch RW0 in 2018-19?

One of the most inefficient players in basketball? A "superstar" who was dreadful in the playoffs to the point of being one of the worst players on the court. He got run off the court by Lillard.

15. thumps

thumps Contributing Member

Unfortunately at this stage in their careers CP3 is a better iso player than Westbrook:

""

16. PrinceH

PrinceH Member

I feel like Chris was effective for us in the regular season, controlling pace etc. Do you not remember taking #1 in the West 17-18'

All the while, Westy and the Thunder limped in every time

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I wanted to bring this up as well and bump the rivers resigning thread as well. This certainly changes things as far as rivers pt and wb being much more ball dominant who needs his minutes

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You can’t blame Harden for CP’s playoff performance. The thing that was most glaring to me is how many shots he passed up. It got to the point where the Warriors didn’t seem too concerned with him. I forget what game it was—but it was a tight one—Paul got the ball on the wing at the 3p line and was open. He sat on the ball until the D recovered and then passed out top. No shot, no drive, just seconds off the shot clock and a reset D. It was a sad play because it was at that point I knew he was no longer Chris Paul. He may still show glimpses, but he is done. And if I saw it, you can bet the Rockets players and org saw it.

19. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Let's hope this is about system fit and nothing more. Let's hope and pray.

Kim and justtxyank like this.
  20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

welp now we got 2 guys that other 'stars' allegedly had friction with and did not want to continue to play with... so we'll see how they do with each other...

2 MVPs could be phenomenal... or it could become a toxic sh!tshow... we'll see...