1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

I think further space exploration would be awesome, but it needs to be privately funded. There's no need for taxpayer monies to be used just to explore.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm not convinced at all that we went to the moon -- this show I'm watching on Science Channel is asking tough questions many are afraid to investigate.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

One of my shareholders is a nephew of the guy who made the moon landing possible. My shareholder was actually in the control room when it happened.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Come on, you're better than this. There were 6 successful trips and one failed trip, there is plenty of proof. Science Channel has been running a series of moon conspiracy shows and from what I've caught, scientific testing disproved them all. Check out the Myth Busters episode on moon conspiracies.

5. KingCheetah

Science Channel says global warming is real and a threat.

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Then we better build moon bases and move there. Clutchfans meet up at the Artemis moon base in 2045.

7. KingCheetah

Science Channel says there's Strange Evidence.

8. Buck Turgidson

Anyone who wants to celebrate the moon landing in style while helping Tilman with his luxury tax problems should hit up the Post Oak Hotel:

The new AAA Five-Diamond Post Oak Hotel at Uptown Houston wants to let you celebrate the moon landing with an out-of-this-world experience. The hotel’s decadent (and over-the-top) NASA package includes a two-night stay at the hotel; a $300 food and beverage credit; helicopter and private car transfer to Space Center Houston and Johnson Space Center; a guided tour of the space center by a local astronaut; private lunch with an astronaut; and a Ritual of Five Worlds signature treatment for two at the Spa at the Post Oak, Texas’ sole Forbes Five Star spa. Package price is $10,000. Learn more at thepostoak.com.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nice Houston and UH shout out in this one.

Celebrating the Engineers (Scientific American column).

"The new NASA center, rising from a muddy cattle pasture, wouldn’t be ready until 1964. In the meantime, the agency rented a smattering of buildings and suites around the greater Houston area. In some cases, apartment bedrooms and kitchens became makeshift offices. And without their own armoire-sized computers chugging away, the engineers had to borrow processing time wherever they could find it. In 1962, NASA leaned on an IBM 7090 computer at the University of Houston. Advanced for its time, with transistors instead of tubes, it still required instructions fed to it one punch card at a time, and it returned results the next morning.

One of Cassetti’s jobs involved computing the exact time an orbiting astronaut should start his capsule’s fiery reentry through the atmosphere. A perfect splashdown needed to strike the Earth in daylight, near (but not too near) waiting recovery ships, and without cratering into some landmass or another. Cassetti recalls carrying his ordered stack of punch cards—his computer program—through driving summer rainstorms, with runoff so strong it lifted manhole covers from the streets.
    "

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I haven't been to NASA since I was a kid, but was thinking about taking my kids. Still worth it? Or overpriced?

I wish we would have gotten that space shuttle instead of just the mockup. Thanks, Obama.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I wouldn't do it this particular month -- I've heard it's nutso.

The refurbished mission control is supposedly very cool; I think it's about $30 per person though to tour it.

12. Buck Turgidson

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

It's the kind of place you go once as a kid, and once with your kid. It is cool at first, but gets old pretty quick.

15. Buck Turgidson

Blame Yankee Chuck Schumer for stealing our shuttle. Carpetbagging *******.

Definitely take your kids at least once, I'd say in the fall. Take a cooler, hit up the fish markets in Seabrook on the way back (I always liked Rosie's) for some shrimp and whatnot, have backyard feast the next day.

You can always hit up Kemah and help Tilman with his finances while you're there.

eta: hell, now that I think about it, a good buddy of mine works there, he'd hook you up, get you in for free at least. Let me know if you're interested.

#35 Buck Turgidson, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good lord. I hate what he’s done to Kemah. Back in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s, I went there a lot, having friends who had sailboats docked at Clear Lake. There were little family run seafood places serving fish and shrimp caught that morning. After we moved to Austin in 1980, I didn’t see much of Kemah. Now I go out of my way to avoid it. :(

17. Buck Turgidson

Seabrook and the other little places are still uncarnival'd. Haven't been in about 5 years, but yeah, looking at the "Boardwalk" makes me a bit sick. Just so cheap-looking and cheesy.

Deckard likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, parts of the area are still at least reminiscent of how it used to be. Seems like everything Fertitta touches he screws up. When I go to Galveston, he’s got a Joe’s Crab Shack where a long time family seafood place used to be. It’s sad. At least he hasn’t bought all of Galveston!

19. Buck Turgidson

Which old restaurant? Haven't been to the island in several many years. I was sad when Col. Bubbie's closed, young kid me could spend hours there, didn't matter how hot it was. I still remember the smell.

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

At least he brought back a real roller coaster.