1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 First round picks ('24 and '26) Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 12, 2019.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

Top 4 protected which anything could happen from now and then. We could be in a rebuilding stage like the Thunder and may actually keep those picks if we suck again (doubtful though). The pick swaps don't both me for '21 and '25) Chances are the Rockets will be a better team in both years anyhow. How crazy would it be though if we ended up rebuilding during those years and ended up having the #5 overall pick in '24, '25 and '26 and all 3 go to the Thunder (and perhaps get stuck with a poor first rounder in the swap in '25).

Worth it?

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

2024 and 2026. 5 and 7 seasons away.

First of all, is far too early to know what will happen with those picks. There is as much chance of Rockets having a number 5 pick as the 30th pick. But if this give rockets a chance to win it all. I take those chances.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we gave up too much for Westbrick. Morey is a horrible gm.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is this your true feelings on the trade?

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

lol

B-Bob and MorningZippo like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Eh if we’re that bad by then to be getting top 5-8, I’d assume Morey would blow it up like OKC is and get 2 top 5 protected picks for WB and a few for Harden as well. I guess I’m looking at this as getting WB at the cost of keeping FRP’s on deposit somewhere for us to redeem from another team should this not work.

8. mockster

mockster Member

Morey doesn’t rebuild through the draft anyway

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

xaos likes this.
  10. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Thunder are supposed to swap 2 picks in '25, how does that work?

fattz and UTSA2step like this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

People keep talking about these pick swaps like they matter, but cmon man- they are worthless.

We will be better than them in 21 and the one in 25 is something like top 20 protected.

Also, while lightly protected the 24 and 26 picks won’t be lottery winners Top 1-4, so it’s not like you are missing out on a franchise changing super star.

These picks are much ado about nothing.

NickKent and RudyTBag like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If we win a title this season then no price was too high. I don't think Westbrook gets us noticeably closer to that, but I don't think it hurts either. Any team with Harden will be in the mix.

But I will be very surprised if Westbrooks physical tools don't start a noticeable decline now that he'll be 31 and plays a demanding style. I fully expect we're gonna find ourselves right back in the situation we were in with CP3, a declining player still owed a lot of money. I don't think he will have very much trade value after this season given his age and salary.

I do not like giving up the picks.. at all. I don't think we will be able to recoup any picks from Westbrook, so I think it's quite possible (likely even) that this trade results in some very bleak years for the franchise with no high picks ( or picks to trade) and aging stars.

ryan_98 and YOLO like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It risks an infinite loop of swapping. The whole draft could just get stuck. :oops:

ryan_98 and RudyTBag like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

I believe after this year wb’s salary balloons to as much as $41, $44, $47 mil per. Something like that. Couple that with a athleticism dependent game that won’t age well, I agree I don’t see much value if at all either

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

We will be rebuilding & watching Russell Westbrook highlights when the Thunder are on the clock with these picks. :eek:

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We are living in a right now era where we have a stimulus (tax cut) during a booming economy and pulled out the Paris Climate Accord. Who cares about the future?

alcatrazpsycho likes this.
  17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Morey will move on by then... maybe to OKC lol... peace out suckaaaaassssss.

18. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Morey is not gonna be here by then and Cheapskate Tilman wills ell the team

So they aint giving two *****

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Thanks for the non related political comments on an escapism thread asshat.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  20. alcatrazpsycho

Wonder how much further this sports bubble can grow...

We’re probably not too far away from $100M per year contracts, $1-Billion / 10-year contracts, and trading twenty first round picks (2040 through 2059) for one 30-something-year-old player...

Maybe we’ll also see NBA player contracts being traded on stock exchanges too.

Yuck.