1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much alcohol do you typically drink per week?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I don't generally mix anything other than the once in a blue moon Bloody Mary, but that sounds like it would work.

My go-to remains Mescal Illegal, but Zubrowka is the house drink at my favorite bar in Tel Aviv, which is where I first had it, along with my favorite beer, Staropramen, which I would probably drink if it was still distributed in the US.

I recently lost a massive amount of weight (a doctor mandated diet) and just had my first drink in six months this week (Mescal Illegal with Negro Modelo chasers). The mescal was as good as I remembered, the beer was ok, but did not live up to memory. I've been drinking nothing but water since February and watching the rest of my band destroy iced buckets of Lone Star in honkytonks and cans of the microbrew dujour in practice rooms.

The only alcohol I crave anymore is red wine, neat mescal/tequila, or neat Zubrowka, and generally not in the same sitting, but as I discovered, I don't have much tolerance any more, so I'm a cheap date.

But if anyone in Austin wants to go to Scholz Garden tonight, I'm playing at 7 and will drink afterwards with anyone that tells me they are from Clutchfans.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

That's awesome, love that place! I wish I could make it down there tonight.

3. RRFan1994

RRFan1994 Member

7 pints of something

4. BleedsRocketRed

1-5 drinks a week sometimes. Other weeks none at all. Depends on time of year, who I am with, where I am at etc

I like tying new cocktail bars and their various craft cocktails. Nothing crazy, just try one out during date night or whatever. Margarita during a Tex-Mex date...etc.

If I am at home then after work Ill make a regular old fashioned or a oaxacan old fashioned. Big fan of Mescal.

Otherwise, the crazy partying getting drunk phase is loooooooong gone.

5. BleedsRocketRed

+1 for the Fortaleza. (of all varieties) My go-to for sure.

rockbox likes this.
  6. BleedsRocketRed

Dude, you Polish or from Poland?
    Both my parents are from there, dad from Krakow (my favorite city in all of Europe) and my mom from just south near Zakopane.

Spent MANY summers there, I go back every year. Big fan of the original formula Żubrówka, Tyskie and Ciechan Pszeniczne

#126 BleedsRocketRed, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  7. likestohypeguy

Just a heads up on some phenomenal values at Costco right now...

12 packs of 19.2 ounce lagunitas IPA cans for $19

And then at Costco's with liquor stores attached, like nasa and Pearland, 375ml Woodford reserve Rye for $15. Equals the occasional $30 for the 750ml discounts, just more unusual to get the smaller bottles at the same price per ounce.

Okay was enjoying the twist this thread had taken, so back to tempting me into finding a Polish restaurant!

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Polonia on Blalock between I-10 and Hammerly.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

Beer: 0
    Wine: 0
    Liquor: 0

On any given week, that's typically what it is. I don't drink much. If I do drink, it's usually in very sporadic spurts.

It's funny, because I LOVE mixing cocktails, and I went to bartending school and got my license when I was 20. Best Christmas present ever; thank you, Mom. But I just don't drink that much.

Another high irony is that I started a whole freaking worldwide group a few years ago, the sole purpose of which was to meet every 6 weeks or so online and play Splatoon...DRUNK. And it's still going, although I'm much less involved lately. And it was awesome, and I met a ton of dear friends (who all obviously drink) through that, but I just don't really drink that much. Even during the events.

I do keep some beer in my personal fridge at work. Sometimes, it's just a necessity.

10. SemisolidSnake

Yep. Great place. Connected directly to a Polish food store. And I think it's also where the yearly Polish festival is held, whenever that is.

11. likestohypeguy

So what's the can't miss must try menu item there?

Hundreds of 5 star reviews speak for themselves, overall, but noticed three reviews very recently lowered their rating from five stars to 3 and 2, claiming quality has dropped in recent months, new staff, cold food, smaller portions etc. compared to what it once was... have any of you guys been there lately? I'm going to be near the area later this week, would be short detour if meal timing works out.

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

My favorite item there is the goulash with potato pancakes. It's been a year and a half at least since I've been by, mainly because I forget it's back there.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson