1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[July 2019] Do you like the CP3 for Westbrook trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sajan, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2019.
  1. Yes

509 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. No

164 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m voting yes with some reservations. Westbrook is physically far superior than Paul and can do much more than Paul. He’s got a ton of heart and a huge will to win. I’ve praised him in the games against the Is where it seems like he singled handledly has willed the thunder back from a big deficit to win the game. In those ways he often reminds me of the Clutchcity Rockets like Elie and Mad Max with their never say die attitudes. On the flip side though we’ve seen him try to force things often and make dumb and costly mistakes. Even he and Harden are buddies I question how two ball hogging stars will work chemistry wise.
    This is a trade that had to be made as it’s a great opportunity but I’m not about to plan my coming back to Houston for the championship parade next summer.

PeterKingX, plutoblue11, Kim and 2 others like this.
  2. da_juice

da_juice Member

In isolation by players I'm dubious. Yeah CP3 was losing a step and probably was hamstringing us. But I don't think Westbrook puts us over the top. Westbrook is just as TO as prone as Harden, doesn't play D as well as Paul and can't threes as well.

I'm sure this team will be just as competitive, more entertaining, and could maybe win a few more wins than they would with Paul; I'm VERY concerned about the future. I don't think Westbrook for Paul puts us over the top. And if we don't win it all, giving up what is essentially four picks is not worth it. As someone said in another thread, this is almost similar to Brooklyn giving up all those picks for KG and Pierce a few years ago.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see us being a better team than Brooklyn, Clippers (that feels weird to write), or Milwaukee. I think we're about on par with the Lakers (another statement I never would have imagined saying 5-10 years ago).

This move almost reminds me of when the Suns dealt Shawn Marion for an aging Shaq. A great team making a less desperate move for a championship that ultimately won't work out.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. carlos

carlos Member

I like it, it gives us two players that can blow by defenders thus putting more pressure on the opposing defense. CP3 had to guile his way to the paint and that just was not enough to take thw offensive pressure off of Harden.

PeterKingX, plutoblue11 and xlr817 like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Cmon now. Brooklyn? They aren’t even in our rear view mirror this upcoming season.

5. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

More importantly as a NBA fan I think league has gotten more competitive. Lakers, GSW, Clippers, Rockets, Bucks, Nets, Blazers, Nuggets, 76ers, all of them got a solid chance of putting up a competitive series in playoffs. Since KD to GSW, I felt league was unbalanced in the West. How exciting the playoffs will be now?!

dcfma, Y2JT and don grahamleone like this.
  6. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I agree I think it's a great trade. Plus, we didn't have to gut the team and we will have free agents suddenly calling now.[/QUOTE]

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This is a worthy risk. I wish us luck.

Hakeemtheking and IvanLCPM like this.
  8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The only positive thing about thos trade is when James chills at half court Russ has a better shot at scoring 4 vs 5 than CP did.

Gray_Jay and FrontRunner like this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don’t like moronic trades, so no, I don’t like the trade.

Jayzers_100, Gray_Jay and Y2JT like this.
  10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think alot of people are sleeping on the Celtics. I expect them to better by subtraction and mild improvement with less ball hungry players.

11. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

the best thing about this trade is that if harden and westbrook can come close to being as good as a dynamic duo as the other duo then I think we have the best 3-4-5 players out of all the contenders in capella, gordan, tucket…. maybe even 6-7 in rivers and house

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m conflicted

I knew we definitely weren’t gonna win with Harden, CP0, and a bunch of role players, so something had to be done, but at the same time, it will kill me if Russ continues his chasing of triple doubles, shooting a bunch of threes he can’t hit, and making dumb decisions left and right

5-21, 10-26, 11-30 type nights from him will kill me...I often find him very hard to watch

Y2JT and luckyman76 like this.
  13. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Finally, I have been waiting for something like this from Morey! I love the trade & hope it works!

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Harden/Westbrick >>> Kawhi/George.

15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I’m drunk texting now all the way the bottom of the bottle and just liking every comment for no reason. Never mind me.

16. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I don’t like it. Because neither Harden or Westbrook have proven to be good decision makers when it’s nut-cutting time.

CP is on the down tick, but there was always such a calming feeling when Chris Paul had the ball in his hands late in the game. You knew 90% of the time he was going to make the right decision.

I hate to say it, but I can already see Russ and Harden taking bad shots, committing offensive fouls and turning the ball over in crunch time. And don’t even get me started on Eric Gordon and has arm flailing.

D’Antoni has to do his finest coaching job ever for this group of guards to work in May and beyond.

Gray_Jay, Y2JT and Kim like this.
  17. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

18. Abraham Rodriguez

Really liked CP3, and feel bad for him getting traded.. But Westbrook is still you and athletic with skills and hustle

19. jowman

jowman Member

A lot of George’s points were scored off of Westbrook’s assists. Will be interesting to see his game without a real pass first point guard creating efficient looks for him.

Westbrook should do well replacing Paul’s role in getting Gordon open shots as well. And also getting capela lobs

dcfma likes this.
  20. Texanstradamus

Westbrook is 30 > cp3 34