1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stating the obvious: CP3 wanted out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 11, 2019.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't think he had any idea. He would not be on board with going to OKC and would have made it known, probably publicly (I don't blame him here).

I think this came together and was agreed within a few days to keep him from getting wind. I'm sure we'll get an insider account that has an ultra rapid timeline leading from basically Sunday or Monday to today.

Blake likes this.
  2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Hopefully CP3 ends up in Miami and OKC ends up with even more draft picks.

Paul was a good player here but it was time to go. Hope he ends up in a better city.

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

If there was a rift, maybe it started when Harden refused to recruit Lebron.

Maybe it began/continued with the whole Carmelo saga; CP3 was the guy that wanted to bring him in and maybe he didn’t think Harden tried enough to get it to work out.

Or maybe, this is what Harden meant by knowing exactly what to do after the last game. Supposedly there are reports out there that Westbrook was trying to get traded at the same time George was...maybe he and Harden has been trying to get him here all along.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The writing was the on the wall that Paul would be a goner when he came back this year and looked washed. I think this team was his best chance at a ring (barring a trade to the LeBrons) and he wanted to do everything to stay for as long as possible....which is why he probably tried to impose his will or style of play (e.g movement) this year. I mean, this is the same guy that bought into iso play last year (wasn’t he like top 5 in points per iso play two years ago?) and now he wants more movement?

vlaurelio, HP3 and topfive like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think there's more than a nugget of truth in there. I'm on record as saying I think CP3 went into a funk when we pulled the plug on the Melo experiment. This was his buddy whom he'd personally recruited, and we dump him after 10 games (which was of course the right thing to do). From that point on, CP3 seemed to be "off" a little. Until that one excellent game he had against the Warriors in the playoffs, of course.

Hmmm...

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

One of our best games last season was when we beat the Warriors without Harden. CP3 was great that game. We had ball movement that game. I'm sure CP3 was frustrated with the lack of ball movement with Harden in the lineup, but he really couldn't say anything with Harden having a historic season in so many ways. Everything boiled over that last game and I guess a divorce is what everyone wanted.

It's really going to be interesting to see if Harden and Westbrook can make this work. Both players really need this to work. They have both won MVP's, but many view them as flawed players unable to win a championship.

mikeiah and clutchdabear like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

It started when James burned down his kitchen.

luckyman76, Remlap, fryjol7 and 5 others like this.
  8. steddinotayto

Gonna miss those State Farm commercials

Blake likes this.
  9. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

i had a feeling that something was up with cp after the failed melo experiment. it seemed like he really wanted the melo thing to work out on the rockets with melo being his best buddy and all... and after dismissing melo, cp didn't really play full speed at all nor did he seem fully engaged. we all thought he was saving himself for the playoffs but maybe that wasn't the case?

still, cp was a more efficient and effective player than westbrook on both offense and defense last season. hope i'm wrong about westbrook and that billy donovan was limiting/overextending russ in some way or that d'antoni can work some magic back into russ's game. and at least russ will be able to hold his own on def when he's iso'd against kawhi/pg/lebron. cp's lack of size would've eventually hurt us big on that end.

not a big fan of the trade but whatevers. gotta root for harden, westbrook and the rockets now.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Now it'll be CP3 and Oscar visiting Steven Adams's sheep farm in downtown Oklahoma City.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Well he'll be the man in OKC, no doubt about that. Hope he enjoys it, hell at least he's rich.

12. steddinotayto

Make no mistake—Russ will NEVER be as efficient as Paul. That being said, he’s an agent of chaos that we needed. Our offense was deemed too predictable at times and Russ might give us that needed jolt of energy when we go on cold runs.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Can you imagine the house he could buy in OKC? He could buy several square blocks downtown and put up a crib there.

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

And then Harden denied it was him. Really James?

J.R. likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Okay that settles it really, this was James pushing for it and not Chris. And Frankly, im really disappointed in James. This sucks.

BeardNation13 likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

You don't know the full story. Harden might have tried to work things out and CP3 was a butthead about it. Who knows the truth?

chievous minniefield and HP3 like this.
  18. TimV

TimV Member

He played there the first two years of his career.

19. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea, thats true.

20. steddinotayto

Seems like DWade is feeling some type of way on how his buddy got treated.

macho GRANDE likes this.