1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stating the obvious: CP3 wanted out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 11, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

He was great the first year; bought into what we were doing and damn near co-led us to the promised land.

Something snapped last year, though. Maybe he resented the attention Harden got when he blew up in CP3's absence. Maybe he resented the team not immediately going back to our old style of play once he returned. Maybe he saw his skills declining with age and didn't handle it well. Maybe, maybe, maybe. Whatever the reason, CP3 spent most of last season in a funk.

I thought the rumors of a rift between him and Harden were overblown, but one thing is definite: CP3 wanted out. Regardless of how he and the FO tried to spin it otherwise, Paul was not a happy camper by season's end and no longer wanted to be here.

And that's the thing that makes this a good trade, even if other aspects make it questionable: We swapped an aging, temperamental star who could bad-mood a team into being less than it should (as he did with the Clips at the end), for a slightly younger, hopefully healthier one who has built his entire reputation on never giving less than 100%.

It'll be up to MDA and staff, along with Harden, to make it work, but teams won't be able to relax at all next year with one of these two guys always on the court.

It's going to be fun to watch how both sides spin it, but if Chris Paul had wanted to be here, he would have played better in the second half of last year. He didn't, and Morey sent him packing. It's easy to imagine DM and Tilman having a conversation and Tilman saying, "Hey, if he's not happy earning $40M of my money, get him out of here."

Thanks for the one good season, Chris. It'll be fun seeing Steven Adams and Dennis Schroeder on those State Farm ads.

#1 topfive, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Well yea he’s going to OKC over Houston so he must really have wanted out

BallSoHarden, Gray_Jay, sammy and 3 others like this.
  3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I’m not close to being a Rockets insider and know no one in an NBA office, NBA roster or any NBA agents or insiders...but I do know this as fact from someone high up at Landry’s.

CP3 and James hated each other. From TF’s mouth a few months ago.

Now, does that Impact how a team plays? No idea. But why not risk it.

SWTsig, Gray_Jay, hakeem94 and 11 others like this.
  4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah. lol, but he didn't want to out to the freaking OkC teaming with Steve Adams

vlaurelio and roslolian like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

no way he wanted out if it meant going to okc. this was a forced move by morey after every single FA thus far said no to houston

wb didnt become available til about a week ago. so morey and co said f it, why not since nobody else wanted to come here

Gray_Jay, Dream Shook and roslolian like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No way he stays for more than 1 year season. I can't see it. CP3 to Miami or Lakers at the deadline.

7. MD_in_Training

How would a buyout from OKC work?

8. Blake

Yes, we had all that cap space to sign quality players. Lol.

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

dont do that bro... dont put last year all on chris like he created the conflict because he was jealous. we DID need more player and body movement. james apparently didnt think so, and we lost to the warriors yet again.

10. amaru

amaru Member

I agree. It also sounds like James wanted him gone just a badly. When Paul started declining the marriage was doomed. Winning can solve a lot of issues.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

As much as people on this site like to b**** about fake news countless reporters aren’t going to put their rep on the line for fake news. I agree they def didn’t like each other

DaDakota likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

so you're gonna act like the rockets made no offers ok.

Dream Shook likes this.
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think he wanted to go to OKC.

14. 523744

523744 Member

He resented Harden’s man boobs

amaru, JVL713, AB423 and 1 other person like this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's definitely out. I don't buy the "he's getting a buyout and going whereever he wants" line right now.

How much of a discount on his buyout is he going to take? He's an NBPA rep. The answer is 0. Which means 0 reason for the team to buy him out.

I could be wrong and he elects to do that if he's desperate enough. God knows, having to move to Oklahoma would make me re-think my life quite a bit.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Morey: "CP3 wants out."

Tilman: "Fine. Send the ungrateful SOB to Oklahoma."

Dream Shook and arubato like this.
  17. tc0330

tc0330 Member

cp0 can take his fake floppin ass to oklahoma lmao LETS F*CKING GOOO!!!!!!

BigShasta likes this.
  18. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

If they did, it's actually a credit to their professionalism that they played together so well.

19. Blake

You don understand our cap space situation don’t you? You
    Do understand we had our own people to sign as well, correct?

So you are whining because people didn’t want to take less money to play on a team with an over the hill overpaid PG and James Harden when there were more
    Lucrative choices out there?

We ain’t the Warriors from the last 3 years.

Hate the trade all you want but the no free agent whine is ridiculous.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

OR... until WB became available, there was absolutely no way to unload CP3, regardless of what his wishes might have been.

Invisible Fan, SWTsig and RudyTBag like this.