1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Need a Defensive Small Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, Jul 10, 2019.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yo you wildin.

J Sizzle likes this.
  2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Excellent post.

I share your exact sentiments on this whole Westbrook affair.

OKC is hamstrung with a massive luxury tax bill and a roster that can't compete in the West now. They must rebuild. Meanwhile, the only team willing to take on Westbrook also has very little to offer without any picks.

That's why Morey threw his hat in the ring about going after Westbrook. He wants to facilitate a deal and squeeze a solid piece like Winslow out of it.

You're right about the fact that there are very few teams that can make a deal for Westbrook happen. The Knicks are perhaps the only other team with the assets and cap space left, but they have shown absolutely no interest whatsoever in Westbrook.

Lastly, I do like your idea of making 2 upgrades this summer, but I'm not sure if we have enough assets to make that happen. A combination of Winslow and Love would solve a lot of our problems and propel us back to the top of league in terms of perception.

3. MC31B

MC31B Member

Realistically? Luol Deng, Luc mbah moute, shabaz mouhamed, Chris Singleton all could fill a couple of roster spots until a trade is made. But it won't happen because D toni and Morey can't resist a 8 man rotation for the regular season.

If it was up to me, I would sign several of those guys and let them try to outplay the competition for some pt.

4. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

Daniel House?

5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I like PJ Tucker to fill that role.

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Just to piggyback on what @basketballholic was saying about constructing a 3-team deal that help all teams involved, here's my framework...

Heat:
    Westbrook ($38,506,482)

Thunder:
    Goran Dragic ($19,217,900)
    Iman Shumpert ($13,213,481)
    Tyler Herro ($3,640,200)
    2020 First Round Pick (Heat)
    2021 First Round Pick (Rockets)
    2022 First Round Pick (Heat)
    2023 First Round Pick (Rockets)

Rockets:
    Justise Winslow ($13,000,000)

Note:
    Heat have already traded away 2021 (Suns) and 2023 (Clippers) first round picks.
    2020 Heat and 2021 Rockets first round picks are assumed to be of lesser value since likely to fall outside top 20.
    2022 Heat and 2023 Rockets are the more valuable picks and may contain less protection.

Thunder
    • Get instant salary cap relief with two expiring contract worth $32,430,381.
    • Can negotiate buyouts with Dragic and Shumpert to get under the luxury tax immediately.
    • 4 future first round picks every year from 2020 to 2023 to go along with their stockpile from the Clippers.
    • Tyler Herro as a good piece for their new rebuild.
    Heat
    • Acquire their superstar point guard Westbrook to pair up with Butler.
    • Can still use Johnson, Olynk, Waiters to trade for similar role-players or expiring contracts for 2020 free agency.
    • Have no first round picks until 2024.
    Rockets
    • Acquire Winslow to fill glaring hole at small forward with a solid 3-and-D player on a great contract.
    • Trade 2 future first-round picks, which Morey has previously shown willingness to do to the upgrade roster.
    • Still retain Gordon's valuable contract to be potentially used in another roster upgrade.

charlieaustin, BaselineFade and s3ts like this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Shumpert only needs to be a $10.2 MM for 125% matching purposes. Even better for OKC.

All I think Miami needs to do in that instance is take off protections to their picks with us sending 1 or 2 FRPs and some 2nds thrown in .

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Westbrooks value really that high? OKC seems to be coming out of that with way too many assets.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Basically in that trade they are trading us Winslow for 2 first rounders.

I don't think they get a total of 4 first rounders from any trade involving Russ.

harold bingo and ghettocheeze like this.
  10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Expiring contracts and first round picks from a potential top contender (Rockets) and a playoff team (Heat) is not a lot of value per say. Picks are likely to fall outside top 20 next 2 years and then the Thunder actually get something of use in 2022 and 2023.

Now, I understand what people think of Westbrook and his ball-hogging style of play, but still you have to offer some potential value to the Thunder to even make a trade. This is fair value for a former MVP on the downward trajectory of his career.

#70 ghettocheeze, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    harold bingo likes this.
  11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ah yeah, makes a lot more sense when you frame it that way. Thanks!

treyk3 likes this.
  12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, the rockets need five defensive NBA players to win all thing.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Herro has signed his rook contract, cannot be traded for another 30 days.

And why does Miami need Rockets participation? Heat have more than enough big salaries they can use to facilitate 2 team trade: Dragic, Olynyk, James Johnson, Dion Waiters)

Finally the Thunder want Winslow for themselves. They are asking Heat for 2 of the 3 young players (Winslow, Herro or Bam) and now Herro cannot be traded until next month.

Giving up 2 of their young players is reason this trade has not been completed.

And if Rockets willing to give up Shump + 2 FRP, then rather have Covington.

#73 D-rock, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I really love Roberson but agree with this 100%. I also have grave concerns about his health.

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Johnson, Olynk, Waiters -- all have 2 years left on their contract.

Thunder want to shed salary to avoid paying luxury tax at all cost because they are repeat offenders.

That's where the Rockets step in and provide Shumpert who the Thunder can buyout immediately to get under the luxury tax. Plus, they gain 2 first round picks for rerouting Winslow to Houston.

Yes, in an ideal situation the Thunder would like to keep Winslow, but their priorities right now are financial. Getting extra picks helps them in future deals if they want to also get rid of Adams as well.

That's the trade off between keeping Winslow on a tanking team vs. achieving financial freedom and flexibility. A smart GM such as Presti will elect to go with the latter option.

Finally, as previously discussed on this board, Herro signing his rookie contract is meaningless. This trade could be announced at any time and be officially completed a month from now. For precedent look at the Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love trade.

D-rock likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

We certainly need another oversized wing to get out of the west but I think House is fine. It’s one of those the sum total is greater than the individual parts.

I’m higher on Gary Clark Jr but you’re more than likely right he won’t make it.

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sold on going all in for Justice Winslow. 2 1st rounders and Shump expiring should net us a way better player. That's 3 of our biggest trade chips. WInslow could be a good fit, but not at that price.

Little Bit and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

And hes another 6'6 wing, need more length. 6'9 is preferable.

19. Chamillionaire

Wing span > Height

You don't block shots with the top of your head.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Covington has 7'2 wingspan while Winslow has 6'10 wingspan.

Yes, wingspan is better than height.

But Covington has both - and a lot more of it.

Chamillionaire and Parley like this.