1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you realize you were OFFICIALLY old?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SleepyRodriguez, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Where else would I get Bankers Boxes for my hanging folders to keep paper printouts of my bills?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

A few years ago I was at a bar and noticed that some of the girls there used to take lessons from me when they were in intermediate school.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Were they hot for teacher?

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow. Yeah, that would make you feel old. Did they hit on you? (following Buck's lead!) ;-)

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

When you see someone talking about their grandparents in their 80's.......and your PARENTS are in their 80's.....

Just messing with you. That's a great story.

My mom is 82 and still plays piano, sings and dances in a local community theater. Just went and saw one of her plays last week. My dad is the same age and barely leaves the house. I guess it's true that getting old is just a state of mind.

don grahamleone and Reeko like this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

If only

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

I've been thinking about this for the past couple of hours.

I'm probably in the best shape I've been in my entire life. Have the physique of Dr. Manhattan, go to the gym five days a week, eat properly, no cigs, no drinking, etc.

Started playing pickup ball again eight or so months ago after a decade of not playing and I'm amazed that my lateral quickness is completely gone. I mean, it's absurd how many folks can drive around me now. Sometimes I can recover with a block... sometimes no. Funny thing is that so many folks try to cross me up and I'm so slow to react to the first move that it doesn't work. Anyone's first step is likely their advantage.

Anyhow a couple of hours ago, I was playing three on three at LA Fitness and this 6'5, 16-18 year old future D-I player made me look so bad that I'm probably gonna stop playing now. :D That combined with the fact that my body doesn't recover (a back strain, an ankle sprain, possibly a broken finger) as quickly as it used to. The ankle sprain was six months ago and it's still not right (crackles when I walk). I just don't want to end up effing up a knee or Achilles. Just tired of different parts of my body aching the next day after playing a few games.

So yeah... I realize that I'm old now. Especially with folks looking at me crazy when I post them up. Everybody is shooting threes... and making them. Sigh. Eff this thread. :(

8. ima_drummer2k

• Finally took the leap and got Amazon Music Unlimited. Knowing that I now have access to basically any album by any artist ever........I of course immediately started listening to.....Reggatta de Blanc by The Police....
    • 2 of the singers in my band are literally half my age
    • I have friends that are retiring and nieces and nephews who are now working in the marketplace and buying houses of their own

Blatz and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My brother-in-law is crazy about tennis. There are amateur leagues in tennis that have age brackets, and when he figured that out, he started playing against people his own age (full disclosure, he's wealthy and plays at country clubs, but there are things like this for "the rest of us"). When he would go up a bracket, it was great. He was the youngest guy there and would win more often than not, singles or doubles. I heard all about this for years and years when we'd visit him in SA. Two knee replacements, some major reconstructive surgery on his shoulder, and getting a hell of a lot older has hammered what he's capable of, yet he still plays, regularly, and it's obvious that it's great for him.

While it wouldn't be what you're used to, maybe you should search out competitive basketball that are teams playing at the level you're capable of now. Seems like it would be a lot more fun, especially winning from time to time. ;-)

OmegaSupreme and CCity Zero like this.
  10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

When I got a 7 day pill box.

11. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

When I go back to high schools or college to volunteer for something. It didn't take long for me to realize I was old "to them".

12. ima_drummer2k

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I have two. One for AM and one for PM

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. likestohypeguy

-standing in line with birth certificate, noticing most everyone else's are in color, with holograms... look down at the weathered historical document in my hand.

-getting mad at, instead of rofling at those getting mad at stuff like all the new sensitivities, gender identification/language rules

-hernia

-really just getting hurt in general, without having played, or really done, anything.

don grahamleone and Blatz like this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Our dog chewed up one day of my 7-day pillbox, so it’s a six-day. :( Too cheap to buy a new one, and I kinda like that it’s a survivor.

16. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Dang, I have a hard enough time, keeping one refilled.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

You mean besides people calling you sir, recovering from a night a drinking takes 2-3 days, and people not checking your ID when you're going into a bar? Mostly going into bars and realizing how young the people are...That's my "old" moment...

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

When my gall bladder gave out. When they start cutting out organs, it's the beginning of the end.

TWS1986, Os Trigonum and arkoe like this.
  20. likestohypeguy

It's worse than you think- those are withdrawals (you just kind of have to keep drinking a little, taper out the next day & you'll be fine).