1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Houston more of an Astros or Rockets town?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by astros123, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The real hate is saying Houston isn't that great of a sports city. The Rockets and Astros should both be supported better. Rockets have their late-arriving, unenthusiastic crowds. Astros should be selling out nearly every game. People will laugh/disagree, but we should have the NHL. Texans, smh.... I doubt there's many NFL teams who haven't been sold out the entire last decade.

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

How'd you like Tech this year?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Name an NFL team that is less popular in their city vs. their NBA or MLB counter-part?

The only possible exception is Los Angeles.

4. Buck Turgidson

So fun to watch. I was rooting hard for the sand aggies, they almost pulled it out. Their baseball team had a good run too.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rockets sell their majority of their lower bowl seats to corporations and in return you disconnect your real fans. Astros, you can find great seats anywhere and for cheap.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The only way to know the true answer to this would be if both won championships in the same year. It might have happened if CP didn't get hurt......

My gut tells me it would be the Astros for the reasons some have already mentioned - cheaper game tickets, more unique stadium, more games during the summer when school's out, etc.

I haven't seen anyone mention the Comcast fiasco from a few years ago yet. I think not being able to watch either team on TV turned away a lot of casual fans from both teams. But when the Astros won the WS, of course they all came back. I think there are a lot of casual Rocket fans who have yet to come back. Out of sight, out of mind.

A lot of my sports friends can talk about the Astros and Texans all day long, but if I try to talk to them about the Rockets....not so much. I've been to sports bars where I've had to actually tell someone to turn on the Rockets game on many occasions - even in the playoffs. This has never happened with the Astros (or Texans).