1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP: Ross Perot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 9, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

BigM likes this.
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Roughly a week ago I mentioned Ross Perot to a young coworker in his 30s and he had no idea who the hell that was. I felt old.

For his 15 minutes he was about as famous as Michael Jackson, and then he disappeared back into anonymity to play with the billions of dollars he made all by himself with nobody to bother him.

He was kind of a comical cantankerous little guy while in the public eye, but WTF did he care? He seriously won at life.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

am i the only one who pronounces his last name "parrot" in my head? btw someone in their 30s should at least have heard of ross perot, unless they grew up in another country.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Thing I remember most about Perot was that damn HB 72 back in high school. It got me kicked out of band for 6 weeks and caused me to miss a trip to Orlando where I probably could have gotten laid.

IBTL and Torn n Frayed like this.
  6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Dude bought airtime on the three major networks (could not have been cheap) to explain the debt and deficit situation to us, plainly and simply. The government will never do this. For that alone, he should be remembered as performing a major public service.

7. Buck Turgidson

What was that one? Drug testing for extracurriculars?

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He was the first person I ever voted for president. I'm still a fiscal conservative.

[​IMG]

BruceAndre likes this.
  9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Just saw that he left $100 million to the Trump 2020 campaign.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

IBTL likes this.
  11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

False.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

RIP wacky billionaire.

Ironically, Sr's infamous tax hikes set the road for Bubba to balance the federal budget late into his 2nd term.

Without Perot, Sr would've likely won re-election despite the recession.

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    I liked Perot, but his presence in the race ushered in the Clinton crime family's rule, despite Clinton winning a mere 43% of the vote in the '92 election.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

lol. How old are you?

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

I knew him best from references in the Simpsons:

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

47. And the source I got it from is a credible source. If they got it wrong, so be it. But I've seen Snopes be very wrong before.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

That's never been proven with any actual math. The exit polls all indicated that Perot voters came pretty equally from both parties. Bush was a victim of a realignment that hit Republicans particularly hard in 1992. Liberal states in the west and Northeast finally voted for a Democrat for president while Clinton was able to hold on to a good portion of the South. Now there are certain states in the West with Libertarian streaks (Montana and Nevada) where Perot probably helped Clinton win states that he otherwise would've lost. But I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that he actually cost Bush the election.

As an FYI, campaign contribution limits are still in effect for individuals. You can't just drop millions on a candidate's campaign. Now you can form PACs and give as much money as you want but you can't actually give more than a combined $5600 for a campaign's primary and general election campaigns.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Just as an aside -- This is not unprecedented in US presidential election history. Was the same in 1912, when TR ran as independent, allowing Wilson to get in with about that same 43%; and I think that it was somewhat the same in 1968, when Tricky Dick won the election with the help of a vote-splitting independent.

19. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Oh yes, it's all related. It was also those same tax hikes that made 41 so unpopular with fiscal conservatives, that it opened the door for Perot. This is in turn forced 41 to try and appear more conservative, to get those voters back; which in turn opened the door for a centrist like Bubba to come in and seem like the sensible choice, and take the WH.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Define credible. In this instance, snopes presented factual evidence as to why it was #fakenews.