1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you really think we actually offered anyone the mle?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jerryclark, Jul 8, 2019.

?

Did we offer the mle this year

1. Yes. Nobody wants to play here

25.8%
  2. No. More savings and "flexibility"

74.2%
  1. HP3

HP3 Member

Why is JaMychal Green a garbage player, especially after his PO performance against the Warriors?

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Asset management. If we let him walk and don’t sign to trade or sign and trade now, it shows Tilman is unwilling to pay taxes. We have bird rights and can do 1 year + 2 non guaranteed and he becomes a beautiful salary for trading purposes. It means everything.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't we use part of the MLE to sign House?

5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Have no idea what the plan is for the Rockets, but they will likely spend all their money on Chandler and Shumpert. This team went from contender to pretender overnight and will not make the playoffs this year if Westbrook is traded to Minny. Just another team that leapfrogged our lazy non caring arses.

mastan likes this.
  6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Tilman is cheap owner.

The dude not deserve to own Rockets.

mastan likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No I don’t. They resigned house pretty quickly. Once that happened the MLE was gone

J Sizzle likes this.
  8. biff17

biff17 Member

Did you really say Burks is shoot defender?

And then say he is comparable to Igoudala?

Really?

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

More talk with this organization than anything else.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. biff17

biff17 Member

Yes.

He can play defense.

11. dmoneybangbang

This poll shows how delusional the current rocket base is....

There was a lot of money to go around this offseason with other teams but not us...

There was a lot of cap space available this offseason with other teams but not us...

It sucks we have only brought back our own players but let’s not be stupid and take tweets as gospel. I’ll be ready to bring out the “boo birds” once the dust settles but I’m not going flip out yet.

We had a good squad when healthy last year, I think another GSW bounce from the playoffs made people forget that.

amaru likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

We'll see.

13. dmoneybangbang

Well when you are just one of 3 teams to actually win 2 games off the KD Warriors, you have earned some talking.

14. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

personally i feel that the people who are happy with where we are are the delusional ones. A lot of fans are underestimating how good these new teams are going to be and how much we could potentially fall off. We already saw last year how much one of our players declined

mastan likes this.
  15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

There were a lot of serviceable players that signed for around the amount we had to offer or less. If we are the so called contenders you think we are I dont see how none of them took our offer.

mastan likes this.
  16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Seriously??

Are you so late to the knowledge session
    Recap on the transition of Anderson into Shumpert to avoid tax (as a potential one off), and then explain exactly what made you think we would pay tax this year?

It is worse if Shump re signs on a team friendly deal. Then we get to see him shopped at the deadline with a pick in order to dump the salary and duck the tax.

I'm not a cynical type who moans about ownership. But I am telling you to expect no tax for TF UNTIL it actually happens.

17. BigBum

BigBum Member

More like Saving than flexibility.
    Very close to tax.

18. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

So what happens when a team doesn’t spend all of its cap space? Do they just pocket it as savings or does it go to the nba? Split amongst league?

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Unfortunately, I doubt the Rockets will resign him for anything much more than the vet minimum and certainly under 5 million, thereby decreasing any value he had in salary matching.

I could be wrong, but I'm betting against the rockets trading for Iggy or anyone else with a high salary, as well as not resigning shumpert to one. On the bright side, Rockets will still have "flexibility" "luxury tax savings" and the buyout market is always fun to watch! Look forward to more minimum signings!

J Sizzle likes this.
  20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Rockets are well over the cap, but just under the luxury tax line. But to answer your question, teams must spend up to 90% of the league cap in order to obtain a share of revenue sharing distributed by the League. They can do so by signing more players or splitting/adding the difference to the players they have signed.

The Rockets have exceptions such as the MLE and BAE to spend. Not spending it, just means not spending it. There is no lost or cost in doing so.

zcarenow likes this.