1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lets Settle This... What Would YOU Do With Our Team Right Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tc0330, Jul 8, 2019.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Not waste free agency trying to force a jimmy butler trade, meet with players, sign players, sign shumpert, trade shumpert, trade picks and a lot of moves that should have been done last offseason and last season

snowconeman22, Gray_Jay and tc0330 like this.
  2. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

1. FFront office to shut down all social media and not do a single interview rest of the summer, none of this confidence, fireworks, favorites to land Butler, favorites to win the West
    2. Limit the ISO and spamming of the 3 ball. Run more sets, off ball movement, cuts, no dribbling air out of the ball for 20s
    3. Harden to stop stat padding and putting himself into the game to chase 30+ point records or whatever, Limit his minutes to 32 mpg in the regular season
    4. Morey to let the coach do his job and not interfere asking for Moar and moar 3's

Bonus: Tilman to sell the team to an owner who is not in financial trouble

tc0330 and amaru like this.
  3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Do we even have a full coaching staff yet?

D-rock likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not that i have proof of that, but i really don't think teams have no interest in Capela and Gordon, the problem is that if you move them you have to get back something as good or better, and that's not easy.

Regardless, realistically, i'm not sure there's a move which would put us at the top again, the only random idea i really like is to do something like trade everything we can (aside for Capela, PJ, Harden and CP3) in order to get back a couple of really good role players, like Siakam and Ibaka from Toronto, if that doesn't work i don't know.

Reality is this team had a short window after we traded for CP3, two years have passed and for one reason or another (luck and refs on top) we couldn't get it done, and we were so ****ing close that it still hurts...but yeah, unfortunately, it's possible we're already over our window at this point (two years are pretty much what i expected from CP3), maybe we should just start to deal with this, let the season play out to see if the core (CP3 and PJ especially) is still able to contend, and if they're done just blow it up next summer. It's gonna be sad eventually, but Harden, Capela and PJ under contract for multiple seasons should net us a ton of good assets, teams like the Knicks (they've plenty of assets) or Boston would jump on that giving away even their ass.

Shark44 and tc0330 like this.
  5. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

stfu, this FO now can't even get tyson chandler to come in and you want them to execute a trade.

LosPollosHermanos and PeterKingX like this.
  6. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I would want to ship out CP3 in exchange for Westbrook and go to war.

hibbetts, PeterKingX and tc0330 like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There's not much we can do that won't be criticized because it doesn't really move the needle. I agree that running it back just makes sense with our limited options. It's best to be patient until a trade finally materializes instead of signing warm bodies we will have to get rid of (e.g. Ennis, Melo and MCW).

With Rivers locked up, I would pester the heck out of the Raptors (who are in sudden rebuild mode) for some deal centering around Gordon/Shump/Picks for Ibaka or another rotation-quality power forward taller than 6'7 around the league.

Short of that, or in addition to, I'd try to swing Gordon/Shump/Picks for some combination of Kyle Anderson/Josh Jackson/Jae Crowder from the Grizzlies to round out our forward depth.

I'd give strong consideration to signing one of the 5s remaining (Pau, Monroe, Chandler...Gortat? lulz) to play the Nene role.

#27 napalm06, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Don't forget to take your 2 replica championship trophies.

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

If I was Morey I would kidnap any free agency and force their signature. I mean that's what people around here are expecting.

tc0330 likes this.
  10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If there is a way to S&T Iman Shumpert for Andre Iguodala, I’d pull the trigger. Doing so would solve the Rockets small forward issues while keeping the core intact. Then, sign Tyson Chandler to a veteran’s minimum contract to back up Capela.

johnk2220 and tc0330 like this.
  11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol u think this team is gonna make the playoffs with harden averaging only 29 points. Lofs

D-rock likes this.
  12. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I personally think we should just keep the exact same team had last year. People forget that we've had basically the same team that took the warriros to 7 games, and just as capable of a team last year. Now that our biggest threat is gone, we have the clippers and lakers to worry about, which I think they will be their own worst enemy. Other than the clippers/lakers (which I feel we can legitimately compete against with last years team) there's no one in the west who can beat us in a best of 7 series. Time can only tell how good LA teams turn out.

don grahamleone and tc0330 like this.
  13. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

That would have already been done. Amazes me you people think this crap will work.

Why not? and justtxyank like this.
  14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Assuming there's no reasonable return available for CP3s contract...

Get a 20-25 mpg full size PF and implement an inside/outside gameplan to mix in with small ball - preferably while harden sits and CP3 is running the offense..
    - Allow PJ to split time between pf and sf - so he's not getting beat on by bigger guys all game long...
    - Get an inside presence so defenses cant crowd our guys on the perimeter...
    - Get some boxing out and rebounding happening...

Dial back the 3s... we can still lead the league - but I'd pull the plug on GG having the green light to fire at will... no passing on layups to step back for a 3... need a better balance and less chucking...

Get some ball motion going so everybody stays engaged... and talk to Harden about his apparent disinterest with playing off ball...

Let MDA know that I expect a deeper rotation and player development during the reg season - they dont give trophies for reg season efficiency... this may be his last year...

carib, Gray_Jay and napalm06 like this.
  15. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

I'd sell them to a rich mofo that can pay with cash not no broke ass leveraged clown like Tilman

Bengchu and PeterKingX like this.
  16. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I’d:
    1. Sign Dwight to backup Capela
    2. Trade Shumpert and a heavily protected 1st (top 20 and 25-30 that turns into two 2nds or something along those lines) for Iggy
    3. Trade EG and filler for Covington
    4. Sign Lance Stephenson at Vet Minimum

Paul/Rivers/Ponds/Clemons
    Harden/Stephenson
    Covington/Iggy/Green
    Tucker/Clark/Edwards
    Capela/Howard/Hartenstein

60-22

Tristan_fiore and tc0330 like this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think you have to look at what our vulnerabilities are; and there are some glaring ones. For example, how can we take for granted that we will be as good defensively as we were last year. Evidence to the contrary when you consider that we don't have Jeff Biz D anymore and we weren't nearly as good of a team without him.

So since we don't have our defensive guru, we need to add some good defensive players; preferably with some length, and it would be great to get some rebounding as well, which was one of our biggest weaknesses last year. So defense, rebounding, and length.

Have we addressed any of those things so far? no. we brought back our guys, and i'm happy to have all 3 guys back; Rivers is great but those guys don't address those key vulnerabilities.

I expected the rockets to use their MLE on an impact player in the front court that could help us with our defense, rebounding and scoring, or at least some of our key needs. That didn't happen. So then i hoped the rockets would make a deal that would have helped rebalance the team away from being one-dimensionally tied to small ball. That didn't happen either. I thought maybe they'd make a deal and net a young contributing player through the draft; that didn't happen.

So what would i have done? i would have traded draft picks for a marquee player, and then used our full MLE to add another impact player. Other teams were able to use draft picks to get marquee players ...like Chris Conley Anthony Davis and Paul George, And we needed to lock down an impact player with our MLE; instead we chose to spend it on House. So yes, i think i would have done things differently.

Gray_Jay and tc0330 like this.
  18. tc0330

tc0330 Member

damn, a ton of you got some bomb ass ideas. but the main feel im getting is yall think our best chance is to upgrade shump with a trade (shump + 1st) for an upgrade and keep everybody else the same. maybe add one cheap cheap ass backup C if isaiah hartenstein dont work out.

honestly, i feel like thats realistically our best bet too. sounds boring as f*ck, but its our situation right now.

the only major move i see as of right now is westbrook. thats just me personally. i think his explosiveness and fast pace play would compliment any slowdown during games.

19. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I have no problem with what they've done so far--I'm sure they are facing challenges behind the scenes that we don't know about--but the front office needs to do a better job of managing fans' expectations. At some point, Daryl and co. need to to realize that the puffery stops pumping up the fans and simply leads to more disappointment.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  20. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

With who? The fans? You thought Paul and Harden got feisty with each other...

Westbrook for Paul is exactly the kind of panicky move I hope this team doesn't do.