1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are the Atlanta Hawks...from the 80s.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Johnbutte, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

I grew up watching the NBA in the eighties. Atlanta was always a pretty good team with a transcendent scoring star in Dominique Wilkins. Now the Hawks were never good enough to win a championship, and never taken too seriously as a threat. They never seemed able or willing to do what it takes to make it over the top.

Wilkins was a blast to watch and could score with anybody. He always seemed to be having fun out there and loved to win. But it didn’t seem like the losing bothered him too much, and he seemed to let his team down in the most critical moments.

I always hoped that Harden would become Jordan, the guy who absolutely hated to lose and was willing to kill anybody who didn’t hate it as much as him (see hopson, dennis). But I’ve come to conclude that Harden is far more Wilkins than Jordan, a fun loving guy and great scorer but not the guy who will drag his team to victory against all odds.

I don’t know what moves the Rockets could have made or can make to put them over the top. And neither did the gm of the Hawks. But then I’m not paid to figure out that move, and it doesn’t appear that Morey has it figured out either.

And all that makes us the Hawks.

2. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

[​IMG]

Highlyrated, Bengchu, ipaman and 3 others like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You have an amazing defeatist attitude. Where did you learn such amazing feats of quit?

Nook, Tfor3, Killatron 2000 and 3 others like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

we are the 90s Knicks, and Harden is our Ewing

Knicks broke through, made the finals, and almost won the whole thing as we all know once Jordan retired for 1st time...GS has fallen back, so this upcoming year is when we should be looking to take full advantage, but instead Morey is on pace for another tragic summer while we run it back...smh

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lol I remember watching the Hawks on was it WGN? Wilkins and Spud Webb lol and Rockets legends Kevin Willis and Eddie Johnson too!

6. biff17

biff17 Member

Those Atlanta teams lost twice to the eventual winners of the East and a Detroit team that took the Celtics to 7 games.

They only lost in the 1st round once.

Wilkins had a 25 ppg playoff average.

Wilkins was one of the the most competitive guys aroind , I don't know what you are talking about.

The 80's where dominated by 4 teams who never lost there stars it was nothing like today's NBA.

and then there is this.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/399918-classic-duels-bird-versus-dominique

7. biff17

biff17 Member

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

shut up old man!

Artie_Fufkin likes this.
  9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Or the Chicago Bulls. Or Detroit Pistons. All of which makes your thread boring and needless.

biff17 likes this.
  10. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

Bleacher report? Ew. Be better than bleacher report.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We are the 2010s Houston Rockets.

Game7 likes this.
  12. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

We are the 2019 Houston Rockets

#walkitback

Game7 and jerryclark like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I am from the future. In 2069 there will be a team called the Tijuana Stingrays, and on their message board someone will say that they are the 2019 Houston Rockets.

Artie_Fufkin and Killatron 2000 like this.
  14. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

Those teams broke through and won championships, making your reply to my boring and unnecessary thread a tragic display of the lack of reading comprehension that is the legacy of the public education system.

15. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

Seems legit. Who’s president in 2069?

16. biff17

biff17 Member

17. biff17

biff17 Member

Those teams had !multiple HOF's that might be the reason they broke through.

18. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

19. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

Meh. Pippen’s greatness was wildly exaggerated by basking in Jordan’s shadow. Plus doesn’t this rockets team have two hall of famers?

20. raj87

raj87 Member

Baron Trump