1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The price of “duck the tax”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jul 8, 2019.

1. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Trevor ariza's 3 point percentage dipped to .334 last year, his worst in a long time....even two years ago he stunk it up in game 7 missing bunch of 3s....he is old now and his body can't recover the way it used to. Melton wasn't going to play over rivers.

WHo were we going to get with that MLE or in the draft to help us beat the warriors?

Denovo and napalm06 like this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

And I’m saying Ariza was ready to move on after his stint with the Rockets....

I don’t care what Tillman says.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post...

4. dmoneybangbang

Kings already overpaid for Ariza.

5. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

NBA players and FAs are smarter than they’ve ever been. They notice when contending teams are ducking taxes and take it into account in the offseasons.

6. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Are the Clippers over the cap? How about the Warriors and Lakers? Yet, they put together 2 all-stars and surrounded them with good players. I just love how people ignore Morey’s previous 10 years of his 12 year tenure to put together a championship team. Okay, so it ain’t happening. We’re not winning s championship with the current roster and NO salary left to spend on good players. I’m certain that’s what OKC realized with Westbrook and George, which is why one was traded and the other one is in the block. If the Rockets can’t make a good trade to improve the team then they should do the same.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think they'll do better than last year. should they have not made the butler trade? what else are they missing out on by being hard capped?

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

How to post on Clutchfans:

1. The Rockets and other NBA teams do things
    2. The Rockets don't win the championship
    3. Many threads are posted pointing out that things happened, and results happened, therefore things led to results
    4. Think to yourself: hey, complaining about correlated events is awesome
    4. Start thread. For best results: Offer no solution, stay as negative as possible

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

The only reason why I’m so annoyed with the crickets inside the Rockets room is because DM and Tilman talked all that s*** about how they were going to do everything possibly to belong a Harden win a championship. They talked so much about how Tilman had given DM the green light to spend well into the lux tax.
    This whole organization talked so much only to completely tuck their tails in between their a** cheeks and go silent.
    So many available FA and we have done jack s***.
    All while people are trying to convince me and themselves that bringing the same team back will miraculously make us better, how? How TF are we better with the same team who couldn’t even beat a crippled GS team and a WC full of talented teams now.

10. dmoneybangbang

As should we if we don’t have two of our top three players miss significant time.

Miami is fine making the playoffs and not contending. Is that smart, I don’t think so but they do. Butler + Westbrook+ minimum guys+ hard capped seems like mediocrity with a top heavy east.

Hindsight is always 20/20 in regards to saying what we should have done. We could have done what you wanted, still lost, and be stuck. It’s very clear that the Rockets would have gone into the tax for star level or role players they deemed worthy. Unfortunately that never materialized.

11. dmoneybangbang

A crippled GSW team that was missing Durant for 2 games? Or you confusing the team the Blazers played?

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I appreciate the point but it wasn’t 2 games- it was 5 quarters.

13. dmoneybangbang

There ya go...

Lots of rockets “fans” “misremembering” things....

As the comedian Adam Carrola said, “You’re either stupid or lying”.

14. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

How up ownerships ass do you have to be to believe he wants to win at costs. He’s so far a lying sack of ****. If you check my post history I’ve in the past defended his actions on the repeater tax. But that was because I wanted to I give him the benefit of the doubt. But it’s clear he will not spend.

People arguing about arias not helping don’t understand if you believe he didn’t help as a player than you have to remember he could help as a contract. Once you go over the cap you have limited reasources to add talent to your team. The rox have chosen not to maximize their assets. Just look at what we could’ve done last year.

Use MLe on House
    Either snt and Ariza for a 15 million tpe
    Or sign ariza and trade for oubre and rivers.

Paul/rivers
    Harden/egod
    Oubre or jerami grant this year
    Tucker
    Capela

Then never trade knight or Chriss or the first that became windier. Keep them for a trade like this

Knight
    Chriss
    Nene
    Minimums
    Windler ( who looks really promising) and picks to minny and Charlotte in a 3 way where we get

Roco and Marvin Williams. Could’ve had

Paul/rivers
    Harden/egod
    Roco/grant house with MLe last year
    Tucker/Marvin Williams
    Capela/Deandre or JaVale with MLe this year

Easily feasible moves that we squandered by being cheap and not retaining our assets to duck the tax

BaselineFade, luckyman76 and Dopamine like this.
  15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Clutchfans should only field Landrys Advertisements from now on to support Tilman's piggy bank.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I agree with your take on how much is unknown. we're all just giving our best guess. I disagree the part about Miami which I bolded. they were going to miss the playoffs. now they'll make it. it was a big step in the right direction. if they get rus they can go deep in the east. lets not be short sighted about their plans. they may be forced to surround 2 stars with a bunch of scrubs because of the hard cap in year 1, but next summer they can add as much as they want to the cap.

the idea is knowing when its ok to spend, when its ok to cash in all your assets, when its ok to be hard capped. there is a time when those things are not just ok but the right move.

we can disagree and still respect each other's opinions but I believe this is that time for the rockets. the window has never been more open, the years ahead will close that window due to regression of Paul, tucker, and even harden who turns 30 this season. we have been at the peak for 2 straight years. both times we have played the best team of all time closer than anyone has. that includes the raptors who only had to play Steph. neither time have we gone all in. maybe if we did we win a championship. maybe now that they are out of our way we can grab a ring this year if we step up. if we don't shoot our shot now, what are we waiting for? next year our guys regress, young teams get better, and it starts to slip away. its now or never.

I don't think we need to gut the team for a butler, rus, or love. I don't think we need to indefinitely keep our flexibility hoping to acquire the next star. I think we have done that long enough. now is the time to embrace our starting 5 as the legit contender they are, and support them by providing depth.

it may surprise you that my first choices of roster moves don't hard cap us. I was hoping to spend the NTMLE to add a starting F, but there is no one left worth that. now I'd like to see a S&T of shumpert for covington, Iguodala, or even just our NG guys traded for crowder. one move like that puts us firmly atop the league IMO. however, if all those fail to happen I think we missed the boat on FAs. that's the gamble trying to find a trade during free agency. you wait around and when the trades don't go your way its too late to sign anyone good. we may start the season with the roster we have + a minimum contract center. I might've hard capped us but we'd be starting the season with someone like Morris or carroll for the MLE and that's all we need to be the best team in the league.

Relativist and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  17. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

It’s not HINDSIGHT because everyone screamed this at the time. Morey had so much runway and ego that it didn’t matter. Your Harden thesis is BS. CP3 and Capela and the majority of the rest of the team took last season off after the effed up failed offseason and Harden had to carry the team. Morey told him to bail him out. He didn’t play that way before in 2017 unless when CP3 was hurt. The choice was go ham or lose. People like you always want to blame Harden for not being able to beat 4 all stars and the refs by himself, which he did in the regular season against the Warriors.

Is Harden perfect? No but that is certainly not why we lost. We have ALWAYS been outgunned and it is not something other teams fans do to their lone star but we love to do it here and not look at a $20M contract sitting on the bench as a problem. It provided spacing alright.[/QUOTE]

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m not mad at him- he was making a point you and obviously agree with. He just didn’t go quite far enough.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Excellent points and pretty much sums up the main problem with the Rockets problems with cutting costs last year.

The question of whether or not Ariza wanted to return is and was moot, because the rockets didn't even bother to offer him a competing contract.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Let’s talk about ducks