1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Paul George traded to Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Jul 6, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fake love.

Thank you Oklahoma for 2 great years, you took me in as one of your own from the day I touched down. Thank you to the fans who make representing those 3 letters mean something. Thank you to Sam and Clay for being the best management a franchise and player could ask for. Thank you to the friends within the organization that took care of my family and I whenever we needed help. The picture shown is a bond that can’t be broken I truly loved and enjoyed the race from start to finish. Thank you OKLAHOMA! You already know what it is @russwest44! Love brodie!

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Paul George is mini snake 2.0...AND hasnt won a damn thing. Feel bad for Westbrook, but if he has any sense he is asking for a trade to move to either Phili, Boston, or Miami

bmelo, fba34, Gray_Jay and 2 others like this.
  3. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Again, I'm not sure how teams have the balls to trade future picks that far from now.

2024-2026 picks unprotected could end up being a high level prospect just gifted to OKC once PG/Leonard contract/prime runs out.

But I guess it's worth it if they win a championship, but it's certainly not a given.

da_juice likes this.
  4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Like what happened with Kawhi in San Antonio. How the Spurs were able to void his contract and how he lost his shoe deal...

Oh wait. That's not how it happened at all.

If you don't see how George could have made next season an absolute disaster for the Thunder, while still making every penny of 33 million a year whether he played or not, and while the Thunder racked up a truly galactic tax bill, I don't know what to say.

Players have all of the leverage in the 2019 NBA, and @J Sizzle is right: it's a terrible look for the league. And for fans in the 25 or so cities not in a titanic media market or in Miami.

5. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Just shut down the OKC franchise (and give it back to Seattle)

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Kawhi had a legit reason not to play which was he was injured and hurting. Regardless whether the pain was true or not injury is a legit excuse so shoe companies and sponsors won't blame him for it. He was also on the last year of his deal which made him have all the leverage as he can leave next year so I dunno what you are talking about, there is no contract to void it was ending. If you think that's the same as PG then I do not know what to say.

PG is 29 you think he is gonna waste 3 years of his prime just to pout on OKC? LOL!

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yo, Jerry, you slick fox. Still a Laker legend! Good job on them Clippers.

Yo Lebron, we got stars but you can still win it, run it back to your Glory days.

Hey, Anthony, you better be healthy. You got competition.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theundefeated.com/features/nba-kawhi-leonard-and-paul-george-pull-off-ultimate-power-move/

According to sources, since George, Westbrook and the Thunder suffered a disappointing first-round exit in the playoffs in April, Westbrook has been quietly grumbling about the team’s struggles and may want out. George, meanwhile, beat him to the punch. George asked his agent, Aaron Mintz, to tell Thunder general manager Sam Presti not only that was he requesting a trade but also that he wanted to join forces with Leonard, sources said.

The call was a tough one for Mintz. According to a source, George and his family had felt welcomed by the Thunder organization and were treated in spectacular fashion. But the trade request demonstrated how disappointed George was with the team’s season and how much he wanted to join Leonard. A source also said traveling to Oklahoma City (and Indiana) wasn’t easy for George’s family, which is based in the L.A. area.

Mintz worked with a stunned Presti to find a fair solution for both sides, a source said. The Thunder then engaged in talks with the Clippers and Raptors, the two teams Leonard was open to playing for. (A source told The Undefeated early last week that there was “no way” Leonard was going to sign as a free agent with James, Davis and the Lakers despite speculation they were the front-runners.)

Although the Thunder were interested in Raptors forward Pascal Siakam, the 2019 NBA Most Improved Player, sources said the champs weren’t so willing to give him up. The Clippers, meanwhile, had draft picks and interesting talent to offer.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

one Gm trades picks to get a superstar the other gives them up to dump contracts

Jontro and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  10. JW86

JW86 Member

You have to respect PG, but the Thunder in particular here. Westbrook potentially wanting out is no surprise, he probably would've like to go LA himself. Most importantly, Leonard never going to the Lakers to join Lebron might have been reality, despite mainstream media trying to sell it as absolute truth that it was going to be the Lakers if the Clippers hadn't landed another star.

11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I, and I'm sure, OKC's management, thought the probability of George making the 2019 season a living hell, like Davis did, like Leonard did, was high enough that they didn't want to chance it. Tell me what OKC could have done if George pulled a hamstring, wrenched his back, or any other soft tissue or nervous injury? They'd have eaten his salary and pulled their hair out, just like SAS did. While Leonard was on the last year of his deal, it hadn't expired at that time. They still had to pay him for that last year. In a perfect world, SAS could have cut Leonard and fined him in addition. Malingering because the player got in a snit with the coach looks terrible to the majority of fans not utterly biased towards the players' side.

I don't think George would have wasted three years of his prime, because the potential standoff wouldn't have lasted three years. I do think that OKC was going to get the most for George now, and not by waiting a few months and letting a standoff fester.

I do agree with you that it was a good excuse for OKC to cut ties and try to shrink their tax bill. But I don't think they'd have done it without George demanding a trade.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Uh what? Leonard was on the last year of his deal, if his deal expired then obv he wouldnt be a Spur anymore. You literally can't get any shorter than that unless you're talking about half a season. Why would SaS cut him when they can trade him and get assets in return? In a perfect world, Spurs would still trade him as he is leaving next season and they would lose him for nothing.

You don't understand the power dynamics the leverage of the player to demand a trade is weakest when he signs his deal and gets stronger as he nears the end of his deal. The reason is as the player contract expires he can threaten to leave the next season hence why Kawhi and AD managed to get traded.

PG just signed a deal he is stuck with OKC for the next 3 years. He had 0 leverage to bargain because he signed a contract and can be penalized for not fulfilling it barring injury. If PG pulled a hamstring or whatever then that's the breaks, Harden can tear his Acl first day of the season doesnt mean Houston will trade him today. That's why the only reason PG got traded is cuz OKC wanted to, its like if your wife said she is unhappy and you immediately filed for divorce. There are lots of things you could have done so it wouldnt escalate to that point unless you wanted it to happen.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yet all we've heard about was the disconnect between our two stars in Houston.

National Media can choke on it.

MrButtocks likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

To think, they could have changed the NBA landscape if they had grown a pair and amnestied Kendrick Perkins when they had the chance to.

Jake Tower likes this.
  15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I really had no idea that George had an awkward relationship with Doc Rivers. Maybe it becomes a big deal and the Clippers trade him? If only Callie was still heart broken and alone? I'm jk....

16. jayland

jayland Member

All wells that ends well. Callie is now marrying a much lesser player, both basketball-wise and relationship-wise.

17. biff17

biff17 Member

How do you know that he is lesser relationship wise?

Do you know these players or what goes on in that relationship?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. malakas

malakas Member

I guess because being better than PG is a low standard.
    He cheated on his gf with a stripper, then got her pregnant. He was going after her trying to get her to have an abortion in exchange for millions of money.

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yup, but there are worse scenarios.

malakas likes this.