1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Tyler White so fat?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CometsWin, May 9, 2019.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not true. Thyroid issues ain’t no joke. If he really does have a thyroid problem it would totally explain his weight gain. However, I’m surprised no one in the media has mentioned it.

Nook and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Does a thyroid issue affect seeing the ball?

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It can. Thyroid ophthalmopathy is one of the more well known complications of thyroid disease, though it's more common in those with an overactive thyroid gland.

Nook likes this.
  4. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Hyperthyroidism causes the vision changes which also causes weight loss. If his thyroid was causing weight gain then he would be hypothyroid. Also it would be unusual for him to suddenly acutely become hypothyroid and gain all this weight. It’s more often a chronic process with an easy treatment of taking synthroid. If he suddenly decided to stop taking his synthroid in the last year then that could certainly explain his weight fluctuations, in which case the medical staff needs to be fired

CometsWin likes this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Even if he made a personal decision to stop taking it?

6. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

I’d be curious to know his reasons if this was the case. Perhaps that was a bit strong of a statement but that kind of stuff irritates me (speaking as a physician). Of course this is all pure speculation

Nook likes this.
  7. theimpossibles1

I wish we knew what his diet was so we could decide whether we should believe this shi**y thyroid excuse.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Apparently Tyler White has a thyroid condition that the Astros allegedly refused to treat or some sort of nonsense. MrBear1 wins a prize.

Tyler’s girlfriend let us know that he unfortunately has a thyroid issue that makes it tough for him to keep his weight down. He’ll work out a bunch in the off-season, then struggles keeping it off during the season being on the road and away from home so much.

Where this story changes is shortly after he came over to the Dodgers.

The Dodgers knew right away about his thyroid issue, so they gave him the medication and a packet with a diet plan — His old team had known about the problem but would put off really trying to treat it right.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Astros fans should be pissed if all it took to get his weight down was some synthroid. There has to be more to this. lol.

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hes trying to look good with his new team and because of HIPPA the Astros will never be able to speak on it.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I guess it remains to be seen if he just gains it back during the season, in which case it probably wasn't an "easy fix" since apparently he can lose it in the off-season but gain it all back during the season according to the article.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Why would Tyler need a team to do something about a personal health issue? If he knew he had a thyroid issue, he should have done something about it. Players can and do go to doctors on their own for first and second opinions. I know that teams have team doctors, but players I'm sure can seek care from their own doctor if they want to.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Somehow I don't think it was just a thyroid issue...

phasors28 likes this.
  14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

We still got Yordan from the Dodgers for nothing. They are bitter.

15. Buck Turgidson

You don't think?

"Save my career" issue is more like it.

No Worries and Blurr#7 like this.
  16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Thank you! Not like he’s 5. If I have a medical condition that affects my performance I’m taking control over it. Seems like it’s bash the Astros offseason.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

White should have sought private doctors for his health. If Astros viewed slimming down as a detriment for performance, they should have helped him to get treatment for thyroid.

I'm sure slimming down is part trying to revive his career, but not going to discount doctors work either. In the end, being slimmer should help him run faster and play defense. Not sure it affects being able to hit fastballs that much other than helping deal with the grind if he was a full-time player. After one great 200+ ABs followed by a horrible set of 200+ ABs, I'm expecting Gattis like offense slim or fat.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This Clint guy sounds really cool.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes, the Astros, who are led by a McKinsey consultant, allowed Tyler White’s value to dwindle to near zero by avoiding treating a medical condition they knew he had. Very #believable.

20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He's not fat! He's just big-boned!!

CometsWin likes this.