1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] What’s next

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 3, 2019.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Fireworks could still happen, just not with incoming SnT player. Flexibility to trade EGo (most likely) and Capela (less likely) for right trade is still viable.

Keeping the exceptions for 2nd FA season (buyouts) is simply being smart.

Vet mins for Javale McGee, Stanley Johnson, RHJ, etc. can still happen without dipping into exceptions.

I would still target trade w/Orlando Magic who are sitting on a shitload of young PFs: Jonathon Isaac, Chuma Okeke, AG, Aminu

Embrace the clutch and BMoney like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The exceptions have never mattered in the buyout market.

Last year they got turned down when they tried to spend MLE money on buyouts lol.

Embrace the clutch, Nook and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are right, should have said saving the remaining MLE.

4. justtxyank

For reference, Kieff was BAE for Pistons

Vivi likes this.
  5. justtxyank

Am I lame for hoping this means they are out and we will sign Javale for the minimum lol

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Vivi likes this.
  7. biff17

biff17 Member

What?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/07...on-begins-league-insider-counts-warriors-out/

Remember,” Marks said. “This team is faced with a hard (salary) cap of $138.9 million. They cannot go out and get talent except for players on a minimum contract. Unless these types of players come here on a cheap deal, like a Jamal Crawford (age: 39), or Jared Dudley (averaged 4.9 points last season), Tyson Chandler (will be 37 next season), Joakim Noah, this is going to be your roster. You’re going to be built out with five players with minimum contracts.

8. biff17

biff17 Member

Austin Rivers, Josh Smith say hello.

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Otto Porter?

justtxyank likes this.
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If Kawhi goes back to Toronto then everyone else signs with Lakers and Clippers i could of told you that late July 1st lol

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Some of you just want changes for the heck of it, just because other teams are doing it. We only need health and a couple of key bench pieces and we will be right up the top of the West again. I can only imagine the amount of changes the team would make every off season if some of you were in charge

12. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I dont get your post. The guy is just stating facts of the current situation.

BMoney likes this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

What would Danny Green do that would isolate CP?

14. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

They say they have room to improve every year. Is this your first year as a Rockets fan. Washed Morey uses that as an excuse ("we'll see what's out there on the buyout market") despite constantly failing to get anyone around that time and also idiotically running with the idea that building chemistry throughout the season isn't important.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Unlikely, but maybe not impossible, if we end up with one between JaMaychal and Marcus (for me the only two remaining players worth the MLE/tax), the roster could/would be looking like this:

Capela/Hartenstein
    Green (or Morris)/Clark
    PJ/House/Green
    Harden/Gordon/Frazier
    Paul/Rivers

You add a third center at the minimum for insurrance, and another big wing or pg (unless Ponds impresses) and the roster looks pretty good to me...with maybe some question marks on the young guys who would've to be part of the rotation (especially Hartenstein), but having Gordon, Rivers and House coming off the bench already means you have a solid 8 men rotation guaranteed from the start.

16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Let’s let them work and stop overreacting to everything.

We all knew what kind of bet Morey made when he traded for Paul. It almost paid off, but they fell a bit short due to injuries and just plain lack of verve (last year). We should have already been prepared mentally to handle the latter years of the Paul era given what we knew then.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Porter is the obvious being one of the top FA's next offseason …. but there could be someone else that shakes loose.

Good question …

I think of those 3 only Green moves the needle. The other two … pretty average.

Do you think Green signs for the NT-MLE or less ? He made $10m last year …. You'd think he'd get higher offers than what we have / had to give.

Really think its wishful thinking to expect they could have had him and I think he's waiting to see what Kawhi does and will stay in Toronto if he does. If not maybe he ends up with the Flakers who would have money to pay him.

But really , that was only half what my post was about , the other part was the apparent salary dumping at last seasons deadline. In hindsight , it appears Morey was setting the table to be able to make a run at a big name FA rather than not having that option. While at the same time leaving himself a lot of options if that didn't work out..

We weren't in such a bad spot … and we're in a pretty good spot now.

Do you just throw away those bird rights and not have the contract to help facilitate a future trade ?

I don't care much for Shumpert but you need those mid sized contracts to maneuver salary.

Nothing wrong with giving him a two year deal in the 6-8m range , first year guaranteed , second year a partial guarantee so he cant refuse a trade. Basically building an expiring contract to add to other salary allowing you to absorb an extra 7.5-10m in salary during the season.

We also have to plan for EG's departure assuming you cant get him extended. That's an asset you just cant let walk for nothing. Adding Shumpert to EG gives you the ability to bring in a salary in the 26-28.5m range , be that one player or several ... while without Shumpert to add you are in the 18.5m range.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Well , you know I was thinking the same thing until recently …. We'll have to see what else they do before we can say for sure.
    It kinda boils down to what they do about Shumpert and if they use the rest of the T-MLE or not … which probably ends up costing more in total than using the NT-MLE and BAE and hard capping themselves.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Dude … I been watching this team since they were in San Diego.

Really , I could ask you the same question.

He's delivered three superstars …. Harden , Dwert and CP3.

How is that constantly failing ?

In case you haven't been watching the NBA the last decade , teams that have won championships have had multiple superstars … You could say Toronto was an outlier but really , they don't win that series if KD and Thompson aren't on the shelf.. They beat some dudes in Warriors uniforms.

You can go back to the last time the Rockets won the Larry O'Brien Trophy and you wont find a team that didn't have multiple stars.

Morey's big game hunting and the way this league works , you just cant blame him for that. Superstars matter.

#79 Corrosion, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  20. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Not Shumpert, please....Kenneth Manimal Faried YES.