1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] What’s next

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 3, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm concerned it cost us last year

Remember when we were trying to not let House "leverage us" with his good play .... and instead sent him down for a couple of months

This rivers contract is the first time I've ever seen Morey give a player option . He had to , it was the only way rivers would come here for that cheap .

We've been concerned about precedent and not letting players try to leverage their play into more money .... but really that's an incentive .

2. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

they so damn cheap they lie every year about they are going to spend the money for the players but then come up with the same lame excuse about flexibility

cheke64 likes this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i hate to post this, but i'm honestly not fully convinced they were trying for butler. they had to know from the get-go they had no chance. it wasn't like the guy just decided a couple days before june 30th he didn't like h-town. but making a spectacle show about the chase does conceivably make a convenient excuse that "we tried but just couldn't seal the deal." maybe that's completely off, but i can't completely rule it out with these clowns either. tilman is undoubtedly the Salary Dump King of all sports franchises at the moment..

snowconeman22, Jake Tower and mastan like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daryl Morey has been given the green light to bust the budget. - Jonathan Feigen, two years in a row.

5. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

At this stage, Capella, Tucker, Gordon, CP3, Harden combo is still in the top 3 teams in the west in my opinion. Rockets didn't lose to just any team here, they lost against a solid GSW team. Would signing Butler while losing Capella Gordon or Capella Tucker made Rockets significantly better? I doubt it. Historically Morey has done a fantastic job by signing solid players. It's just unfortunate that it didn't work out and the team fell short. Rockets got a combo of Dwight/Harden while both in their absolute prime but Dwight crapped up badly. CP3/Harden worked really well but due to injury Rockets fell short last year. This year I think Rockets lacked bench production and some questionable style of play and substitutions by D'Antoni which limited bench production which I think caused the defeat.

I really think either team needs a new coach or expect D'Antoni to make some strategy changes (which I doubt) while strengthening our bench by signing solid role players rather than a star. Faried, Rivers, Green & House can be good role players if coached well enough. We have seen what they can do (besides jacking 3's). They vanished in the playoffs (except Rivers) thanks to not enough playing time given by the coach. I feel D'Antoni just does not know how to utilize all their strengths.

6. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Buyout players that make a difference are extremely rare. Also, with LAL, BKN, MIA, GSW & PHI looking to make big additions on vet min deals later in the year, I don’t see how we compete for the top buyout talent. Seems idiotic to wait this year.

JW86 likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

In other words, Tilman is saying don’t blame me that no guys are signed to add to our depth?

8. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

We’re not the favorites to win the West. The Blazers will have their staring center back and they just added Whiteside, a 7’ shot blocker to go along with perhaps the steal of the draft at SF/PF. Clippers will be better. Denver will be better. GS will be good again too. They just added an all-star guard to go with Curry and Green, and I expect Thompson to return by the end of the year. Oh, and the Lakers have AD and LeBron plus Kuzma and will likely add another good player

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

GS and Miami are hard capped to the point they can’t spend anymore. Brooklyn isn’t going to win this year. Lakers would be the only team I would worry about stealing buyout guys. And again if we hold on to 1 exception that gives us the ability to pay double what LA can on a buyout guy it may be in our favor.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  10. Manos

Manos Member

GS can spend money b/c they just had most of their roster turnover. They only have 81 million in contracts now split between Curry, Iggy (who they're trading), Green, Jones, Evans and McKinney, so I expect they'll be signing people. We have basically the same team we had last year, maybe we make a few pickups throughout the season, but overall not a bad squad.

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea, Im not a fan of the buyout either, I know Morey loves to keep flexibility but I dont remember the buy out market EVER helping us. We couldnt get players and when we could, they never panned out for us. If Morey thinks Iguodala is coming here....he should move on.

So....asking here......how much money do you think Danny Green is getting? Hes the one guy that could change everything for us.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

13. mastan

mastan Member

Correct!

14. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

Talk is cheap!

15. mastan

mastan Member

I think so too...Rockets are only interested on those who have no chance of coming but there are no news of interest on the players that are available or there is a good chance if shown interest. Butler, Looney, Igudala.. there was never much chance..whereas there are players like Marcus Morris, Danny Green, JaMychal Green who are available and we have decent chance to get them it seems there is no interest from Rockets. To me it seems all the rumors are to show that Rockets are trying when in fact it's not.

snowconeman22 and pippendagimp like this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Kieff Morris to the Pistons

D-rock likes this.
  17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Houston's bench is absolute trash and mostly unplayable. Guys like Wilson Chandler, Jeff Green, Noah Vonleh, WCS, and Glenn Robinson all signed for the minimum and would have been a huge boost to our bench. Instead we will run Harden into the ground so by the time the playoffs come around, he goes 8-30 from the field every night with minimal FT bailouts.

mastan likes this.
  18. mastan

mastan Member

KD was a sign and trade...so his salary also counts ...GS has no reservations into going deep into luxury tax...they were ok to pay approx. $400 mil (sal + tax) in order to give KD and KT max contracts.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Marcus wore that Piston jersey well.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We don't need Danny Green this would further isolate Cp3. We need size at the pf,center and sf.

carib and D-rock like this.