1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time to retire this image?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No , its not time to retire that image ….

I have been one of the harshest critics of Morey dumping assets for no other reason than apparently ducking the tax last season.

In hindsight , what he was doing was setting up the dominoes to go after a max free agent (Butler).

I didn't see that coming …. I thought they had really hamstrung themselves and would not be players for any free agent , much less a max guy and that it would be difficult at best to bring back one of House or Rivers much less improve otherwise.

No , it didn't work out …. but had Jimmy Buckets took winning over lifestyle in Miami - Morey's likely executive of the year again.

They are in a good spot - favorites in the West (assuming Kawhi doesn't go to the Flakers) , not hard capped and have a quality piece on an expiring contract in EG (assuming they don't extend him) and likely Shumpert resigned to a reasonable deal as a movable contract for a deal during the season.

I aint mad at Morey …. He was big game hunting and the game just didn't cooperate.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Morey is not God, but he has been a net positive and makes wise decisions more often than not. He also has more experience now and isn't some spring chicken. The man clearly learns from mistakes. The man deserves a bit of patience. I know fans don't have it, but owners, the good ones, do, thank god. Emotional reactions are common, but the guy is a great GM. The best? Nope. Mediocre? Hell no. Good? No. He is great at his job and will continue putting the work in I think. He is not some punk and he has ambitions too you know? He wants that ring and he is fighting for it. Nothing has suggested otherwise. I am perhaps a Morey fan, you can say, and yall are welcome to disagree. But I do see a lot of people here acting like his job is easier than it really is. Maybe too many people make 2k GM mode trades and think other teams are stupid, but when your hand is weak, you have less options.

Also Ryan Anderson turning into hot garbage is not his fault. That was a worthwhile risk. Melo may have been owner related in pulling big names to up team value, and Royce White was a McHale begging move which Morey learned from thereafter.

Morey's weak spot? Drafting. Strong spot? Trading up.

He often pulls in really stupid players and rolls the dice in calculated risks that flop often. His drafting is overrated I think, BUT usually he drafts based on value and he has said this. He doesn't draft with the intention of playing the person, so that means he drafts players he thinks will be used to pull in veterans.

Is he the best? Hell no, but some of the criticism of them man is ridiculous. Go ahead and complain but we have had some great seasons lately and if a person gets put out everything we don't win a championship then they need to find a new sport. This was not our year, but I can say that if we faced the same warriors team the raptors did, we'd have won the series too. Should we cry? No. Congrats to the winners, work on it over summer, and come back ready to grow. Are we going to pretend that the roster won't be different come playoffs? I am excited to see what can be done, but don't expect a miracle. The players and coach we have will have their work cut out for them, and even if we get to where we were this year again, we will be contenders. I am excited to see it.

3. foggy94

foggy94 Member

We have had the 2nd most wins in the entire NBA since Morey arrived, and could have had multiple championships if our best years hadn't coincided with arguably the greatest team ever.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The arguably greatest team never stood pat though.

They added Kevin Durant on a mini deal and didn't worry too much about chemistry either because their core chemistry was able to withstand that.

Also their age/performance ratio was pretty good, they didn't just add 33 year olds if they dun have to.

I think the Warriors' FO is as much responsible for the success as their players.

Little Bit likes this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Butler would not have made us that much better and the risk for locker room turmoil was always going to be there. The focus on depth should have always been a priority, but we’re always banking on buy outs (Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, Rivers, Faried) and the trade deadline.

You know that Rockets are one of the only teams who operate it like this right? It was great to get us Harden and CP3, but now that we’re contenders supposedly, you do the same?

Very odd to me and shows Morey actually does not believe nor has he ever believed aside from 08-09 and 17-18 maybe that we could win it all. His lack of going all in shows that.

Morey is always busy improving and the next move, not now. That’s his biggest flaw probably. It’s a great strategy if you don’t contend, not so much when you are.

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

All these posters btching and complaining about how Morey is not doing anything. Even if we were to replace morey, we are not gonna magically get better unless we started tanking for talent cause apparently no one wants to hang with Harden.

Btches about morey but never provides a proper replacement just likes to whine.

D-rock likes this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

He simply should have not shown his hand

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Name superstar in his prime who is actually WILLING to REPLACE harden?

You sure butler would have played with a harden less rockets and 40m cp3 lol

And 76ers ownership management team players fans and entire city of philly wont welcome harden?

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. rockets13champs

He’s going back to that guy. He’s gonna be playing moreyball this year picking up undervalued assets

dachuda86 likes this.
  11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I like Morley and I hope he retires a Rocket...:confused:

Having said that, the league isn’t as naive as when he first came into the scene. Many teams if not the majority of them are a lot more savvy when it comes down to analytics, so he’s unable do a euro on GM’s like he once did with impunity! Couple that with the reputation of being a hard-core ASSET trader and we can see why he’s having a much more difficult time in acquiring that elusive third star!

(P.S.) I also think our style of play (Super-ISO) is not helping the cause.... Unless we win a chip, this will continue being a problem...:(

12. foggy94

foggy94 Member

We're trying not to stand pat either. Morey was also after KD and was lining up moves for years in advance for the summer of 2016, but after that disastrous 41-41 season we didn't even get a meeting. If he's a free agent one year earlier after a WCF run with James and Dwight still playing really well together, maybe we get him. But he managed to turn the team around again anyway (compared to a team like Washington who made disastrous move after disastrous move after they got caught with the pants down hoping on KD). After a 55 win season we added Chris Paul, which many viewed as a risk. We got to 65 wins and the WCF again. Last year we took a big step back, but even in the middle of it we offered 4 freaking first round picks for a guy was going to be a free agent and could have potentially left for nothing in the summer.

I don't think anybody can say Daryl Morey is a guy who stands pat.

D-rock likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This FA he might be forced to maintain status quo. Morey or less.

14. foggy94

foggy94 Member

True. Not the worst thing in the world though when we had a really good squad in the 2nd half of last season. We're making coaching changes and hopefully it sounds like we'll be tweaking both our offense and defense to figure out how to be more efficient in the playoffs.

As it stands right now the NBA is wide open, so if there's any time to run it back it's now, when other teams are getting worse or only improving around the margins. Golden State is worse, Denver is the same, OKC and Portland have only made smaller moves (unless you like Whiteside). Utah is the only playoff team so far that has really upgraded apart from the Lakers. And the Lakers have the benefit of being one of the biggest brands in world sport, and they are in L.A. They got Anthony Davis because he wanted to go to L.A even though they've been a shitshow with comically bad management for the last few years. And they had the assets to trade for them because they had been so bad to accumulate high lottery picks over the last decade, as well as a stroke of fortune moving up to 4th this year. They might become the next dynasty if they can get Kawhi, but again I can't imagine that is because of some good GM moves or foresight by Pelinka and Buss. From the sounds of it Kawhi wants to return home to SoCal where he is from, which is why the Clippers have been in the lead for him all year. If he had been born in Houston, would he want to come here?

15. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Morey to OP

[​IMG]

D-rock and BigM like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Nola and Sacramento will be there as well in terms of lower playoff seeds.

Dun count out Doncic and Porzingis plus shooters.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Who cares? it's actually time to lock down the GARM and have all threads voted on before they're allowed to be started. Or retire thread making rights from like 80% of the site..

I also think you need to go outside or something. I mean you had a decent thread and then this... It's too much CFs probably.

#37 CCity Zero, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    BigM and Richie_Rich like this.
  18. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Hello

dachuda86 likes this.
  19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Yeah..... his math is obviously off a few decimal points....

20. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I remember when data and analytics did not matter and you just pick the guy you wanted and you pay them what they wanted ever since we got the analytics and data put in its like that is what we determine which player we get if we step back from this data and look at actually scouting and watching going by tape of a player yes you will miss some things but at least you can determine by actually watching a player if they will be good and not by this data and analytics