1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Losing Capela and Gordon in a trade that simultaneously hard-caps us would have been a fat MISTAKE.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jun 30, 2019.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Get a grip people. I honestly don't know how serious Daryl Morey even was about hard-capping himself at the apron to make a move for Butler. I'm sure Tilman forced his hand and it was his idea of winning at all costs.

We would have sold Capela for pennies on the dollar (when has Morey even sold low on an asset?) and all of his replacements are signing elsewhere on contracts that are more lucrative than we could have offered. We would have had two star players in CP3 and Butler who can never stay healthy and NO depth to put around Harden to ease his workload. I hear people saying that Javale McGee can do what Capela does because of James Harden. Absolute lunacy. I'm sure these same users were defending Clint when KD said his job was "easy" before that 7 game series a year back.

Hard-capping ourselves for any player besides Giannis or a healthy KD would have been a catastrophe. I would have loved Jimmy on the Rockets but once he opted out the writing was on the wall. Now that we can't avoid the luxury tax, I'm hoping for a much more aggressive off-season with rounding out the roster with quality front-court talent to back up our guards. If Kawhi doesn't go to the Lakers we are RIGHT there.

GO ROCKETS!

#1 jacoby, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  2. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Sure. But why all the leaks? Now even if they stay are they gonna be happy?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Lets see what’s next. Using part of the MLE on House was weird if we aren’t using the full MLE. Which is what you do when you’re hard capped.

4. Fantasma Negro

Save your breath, these people want Morey's head for not handicapping himself. Smh, its only day one folks

jacoby likes this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don’t mind that it didn’t work out either.

jacoby likes this.
  6. cdain3

cdain3 Member

It's not my money. Meh

7. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

While Keeping Capela and Gordon after shopping them ALL summer publicly too of which they are aware of and then having to rekindle that relationship is the right thing to do

SMH

8. sheb

sheb Member

Maybe the Owner said “get me JB or you’re fired”
    So Morey was placing all these leaks to protect his job

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

**** I still say trade Capela to Boston for Smart or Brown. All he can do is catch lobs and play a little defense but doesn’t really bang down low

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. jogo

jogo Member

I wanted JB but we'll be fine. He isn't exactly a strong locker room guy and I'm not sure how he'd fit with Chris and Harden.

But I'm not sure what we do with Capela and EG now. They've been mentioned in talks so much...

I'd go for Covington, though I'm not sure what I'd trade for him. EG for Covington + ? and keep Capela?

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

I would trade him for Brown solely because we desperately need YOUTH on the perimeter. Losing Capela is going to hurt this team more than fans realize. People forget he's a top rebounder and shot blocker in the league and he's our only young player on the team (that shows promise anyway).

If we had a solid replacement, I'd potentially be okay with it. But guys like Jordan and Dedmon are already off the board, so it's not looking good.

12. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

Were screwed. New Jerseys to go with the same old BS!!

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’ve have said from the very beginning Butler would of been nice but Love is the perfect FIT we need.

BeBreezy likes this.
  14. Game7

Game7 Member

Thank you! Jesus Christ this board needs therapy. Pathetic.

mario_v, Hank McDowell and jacoby like this.
  15. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

While I never really cared about landing Butler I must say...

As a Morey supporter, I just think the organization & Morey as a whole handled this in a completely tasteless and tacky way to their fans.

Their performance in deciding to take numerous atypical actions such as promising 'fireworks' and 'liking' tweets ect.. things they know only diehard fans will notice which ultimately only led their fans astray was wholly inappropriate and downright shameful.

joshuaao, tmoney1101 and jacoby like this.
  16. Zo Gi

Zo Gi Member

I say we go and sign Cousins! He's unrestricted and shouldn't cost much.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  17. jacoby

jacoby Member

He will probably get money from a team like Dallas or New York. I would rather shift our focus to adding fresh legs on our perimeter. We need players who can guard numerous positions.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don’t think the finances would ever work, but I do kinda like the idea.

19. tc0330

tc0330 Member

i still think we need to trade gordon while hes 30 and still has value as well as capela while hes still young with value.

gordon is an injury away from being worthless in trade value bc of his age. capela at least is young enough to not depreciate so fast. we need to improve in some ways, its as simple as that. now, we have more competition. we gotta keep growing/improving

20. Zo Gi

Zo Gi Member

But whose out there that we can afford?