1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yes. The first and away top priority for Jimmy in this isn't Houston OR Miami.

It's guaranteed money. Don't overthink it, people.

amaru, Sanity2disChaos, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  2. htownballa1622

I think we agree this is about money.

If he chose Houston, it's safe to assume he thinks we can win too right? So, under my assumption, I'm saying if he chose Houston it would make sense to opt in to get here because it helps Houstons flexibility going fwd.

If he chose Miami, can we agree that it isn't first about winning? That's why I think its telling that he for sure wants his money first. And in that assumption, we'd assume he knows hes not winning in Miami so there's no incentive to opt in to go there.

Lot of assumptions on my end sorry lol.

I hope he comes here but I think he should be smarter if he wants to win AND come to Houston. That's why I get a bad feeling it's just about money and destination first with winning being what he wants after the first two things. Which is why Miami scares me.

3. htownballa1622

Bingo

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

In this case it has nothing to do with Riley or Morey pulling levers. It is more about where Butler wants to be. And each GM will make it happen after Butler makes his choice.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

People are really hard headed and don't understand this. Not everyone will take the risk that CP3 did.

amaru likes this.
  6. Sanity2disChaos

How can you flip flop on the head of the players Club!!
    Bad look. CP3 wasn’t worried once they agreed to do it I’m sure!!

And yes people are hardheaded and forget the simple things. Hope he sees Houston as a place he wants to be. It’s 50/50 ,imo.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D I love it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Chris has been the only player the last few years to opt in & trade and yet every time someone opts out (especially a Rockets target), "Nah, he's not really opting out! He's just trying to force his team's hand! He's just trying to make it look like he's leaving elsewhere! You tell them early you're opting out but really you'll opt in in the end if they trade you to where you want to go!"

Reported in early/mid-June Jimmy is opting out. "Yeah, we'll I wait and see! I'll believe it when I see it! That's what he has to tell Philly if he wants them to trade him to Houston!"

No, these players really are opting out. :D
    Sign & trades/opt-in and trades just don't happen in this new(now old) CBA.

Just because DeAndre changed his mind doesn't mean that'll become the norm & every other player will agree with a team & then change his mind.

Just because CP3 opted in doesn't mean that'll become the norm & every other player will opt in & trade and put off their pay day for a year.

ElPigto likes this.
  8. JK0nG

JK0nG Member

9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I think this is a spot-on engineering of Butler’s utility function.

What’s absolutely baffling to me is how the public facade of the Rockets organization maintained this “extreme confidence” knowing his preference, or how that long due-diligence process failed to pick that up. Either way it’s been downright imprudent and even embarrassing.

JK0nG likes this.
  10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What big name free agent deals has Riley pulled off in the last 10 years other than the Lebron/Bosch signings which were engineered by those 2 and Wade?

Vivi, YOLO and HP3 like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

12. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Didn't make sense to me when Leonard, Kyrie, and Kemba were still available, but it does if they're not. Can't get definitive read on Kahwi. Yesterday the Woj winds were blowing towards a Kahwi/Durant team-up, but this morning's vibe seems to be drifting away from that premise

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Aaaaaaand there it is. As expected

htownballa1622 and Vivi like this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

How is the confidence level now?

16. htownballa1622

@The Cat

:oops:

17. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Wow we suck couldnt even get a meeting lol

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Vivi likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Btw i don't get what "not a surprise and it means nothing...but Butler will tell the Heat he wants to play there"...if he wants to play there how does that means nothing?

motleydeflep6 likes this.
  20. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Exactly lol. If he wants to play there then Philly will find a way to help him