1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I maintain the *confidence* is the intelligence the Rockets had that Philly would not go 5 years. Once that trump card was taken off the table, the Rockets felt strong about their position. HOWEVER, unlike CP3 the Rockets aren't #1 in Butler's mind of landing spots.

malakas and amaru like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Riley will jedi mind trick him. Watch it happen.

amaru likes this.
  3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I keep hearing that but when I looked at his post history all I found were small but wrong predictions.

malakas likes this.
  4. htownballa1622

I didn't say winning was all that mattered to him. Im saying IF he chose Houston, he'd feel like we'd have a chance to win so why not just opt in if he wanted to come? He wants his money first.

That's my point. Since he didnt opt in, safe to assume he prefers money/ destination. He wouldn't have to opt in to go to Miami since his first priorities (under my assumptions) would be money and destination because I think we're both agreeing Miami isn't winning with or without him.

I too have no idea where he chooses. Again, I said I hope I am wrong.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Were gonna get dick slapped by Pat Riley.

Let’s move on from Butler please

BeardNation13 and J Sizzle like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rockets have embarassed themselves with how loose they are. They are confusing aggressive with whoring. Can't imagine how the same locker room will flow into the season.

BeardNation13 likes this.
  7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Let’s address salary matching then. J Rich makes $10 M a year and they can’t sent a first until 2023.

How are they going to get a deal done?

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

It’s interesting to read about the deals Miami has in place to get Butler..... oh wait.... they are being professional and haven’t leaked all their plans.... silly me

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

They need to cut salary not take on more. They have been a mediocre team that’s risking paying repeater tax. You act like they have deals lined for Dragic, Whiteside, Dion without any first rounders to send out with them :D

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The reason to opt in isn't just about avoiding the hard cap. It's also about making a deal more likely, period, because the team you're going to has to send out significantly less salary to make the math work.

Even if he wants to go to Miami for destination reasons, opting in would have made it FAR easier for the Heat to acquire him because Miami wouldn't have to canvass the league to try and find a home for one of the Dragic, Whiteside, Olynyk, and Waiters deals (without any draft sweetener until 2023).

Again, Butler could certainly pick Miami, but I don't think not opting in has anything to do with it. That decision was all about guaranteed money.

malakas and saleem like this.
  11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

How do you know what Butlers preference is?

Because he's meeting with Miami first?

Because theres a report that he was impressed with the way that they honored Wade's final game?

We have no idea what Butler is thinking.

Theres also been reports that Butler and Harden are tight and that Harden has been recruiting him. So how do you know that this isnt similar to CP3 and their confidence is because of what Butler told Harden?

We have no way of knowing and are just speculating based on tweets that may or may not be true.

Who knows, maybe Butler wants to go someplace where he can be the #1 option. That's certainly possible but right now theres no way to know what he's thinking.

12. tzou88

tzou88 Member

What are the odds JB never actually considered the Rockets, but the front office Lavar Ball'ed us into a meeting?

13. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

We gonna look real Silly, showing having trades in place but butler goes somewhere else.

cheke64 likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed
    1) Get maximum money NOW (Philly 5th year? Not happening)
    2) Get to preferred destination. ( Miami, LA, Houston)

And competing for a championship comes 3rd in the list.

yixiixiy, htownballa1622 and malakas like this.
  15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

IF he truly wanted Miami or Houston. He got bad advice to opt out. He would have made more money down the line and would have been able to help his new team field a better product in year 1.

This is all about Jimmy getting paid. I'm sure if Philly offers that 5th year, he'll sign that deal immediately. That's fine, he wants his money now and doesn't feel comfortable waiting.

If we end up with him, cool, if not, cool.

htownballa1622 and Deuce like this.
  16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I should have known. The moment we started hearing about potential trades I should have realized there it wasnt going to happen. This organization used to work in silence. Now everything they do gets leaked to the media.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Intellectually you are correct. I just can't shake my own feelings that Butler wants Miami first. And I believe Riley is smart enough to get it done. That's all.

I hope I am dead wrong. I want Jimmy Butler on the Rockets.

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

No thanks

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Why are there so many posts critical of Rockets trade rumors? This is the modern NBA in the world of social media. Every team that’s active is involved in trade rumors. This isn’t unique to Morey.

malakas and YOLO like this.
  20. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Once Pat Riley is interested, he is capable of pulling it off even though it's more difficiult for Miami

That's the pull he has compared to Morey. A better GM who understands players

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.