1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2019 Offseason Pre-Draft Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 11, 2019.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Curious, does anyone know if we are under the projected tax threshold now? If we are, we should have the non-taxpayer MLE (9.2 mil) and the BAE available, or is it just the MLE? As well as a couple of minimum spots.

I believe if we are somehow able to utilize the non-taxpayer MLE and BAE we would then be hardcapped though. Either way, Morey has his hands full trying to round out this roster with or without Butler but the more roster building assets we have the better. As mentioned before, Morey has to redeem himself from that piss poor offseason last year.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Vivi likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

With a big nod to @BimaThug i will throw out another possibility.

If they DONT get Butler but still move Capela into a teams cap space for a pick:

-they’d be comfortably under the luxury tax
    -they could spend full mle and bae and still be under the luxury tax

This isn’t even about the hard cap in that scenario

Vivi and RayRay10 like this.
  4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes and have more flexibility in future trades. I have hoped that Capela can give us a young team friendly rotation player back + a 1st round pick. Not sure how likely that is but to me it would be ideal. Then you could possibly package Gordon + fillers + picks for a $20 mil type player on an existing long term contract. The problem is, expiring contracts don't seem like they will be as valuable next year as they were this past year since there are so many quality FA's this summer. I assume next summer FA will be pretty thin.

Thank you guys for the explanations. In my mind, we should make quite a bit of noise no matter which route we take. Definitely need to shake it up a bit and get younger, more versatile talent.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

This feels like a Rockets move after striking out. Lux tax savings FTW

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Can the Rockets trade for Love without including either Capela, Tucker or Gordon? I.e. Shump sign and trade for $13.2 million, Nene sign and trade, plus some of their $1 million scrubs?

7. justtxyank

No.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be totally opposed to that, depending on what we could get. Lined up ahead of time, of course.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I thought Capela crumbling in the playoffs was a huge disappointment, but trading him for a pick? I dunno...he's still a 16/12 player, which, strictly by the numbers is pretty elite top 10 center (maybe top 5?) in the league. How many other big men give their teams that much production during the season? I'm guessing very few. Again, yeah, he choked during the playoffs, but taking Clint out and replacing him with an unknown or worse would be taking a step back wouldn't it?

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

11. justtxyank

12. basketballholic

He can commit to play signed, traded, dnd then waived. He cant force a team to not waive him.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I didn’t want to knee jerk but now that we are a week into free agency im pissed. This offseason is resembling last offseason. Wtf? We better do something soon because right now we are not better than last year. Just terrible watching all of these western conference teams reinvent themselves; we’re doing nothing. This offseason really sucks. Losing confidence in Morey.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

At this time in 2018, the biggest complaint with the Rockets was that they let their rotation guys (Ariza, Mbah a Moute) leave. Meanwhile, they signed Chris Paul to a four-year max contract (obviously agreed to a year earlier), and signed Gerald Green and Michael Carter-Williams to vet minimum contracts. They did NOT use any meaningful portion of their MLE on anyone.

Meanwhile, in 2019, they DID (amazingly) keep both of their key rotation pieces by bring back Austin Rivers for the vet minimum and used the majority of (what may end up being) their Taxpayer MLE to bring back Danuel House. They re-signed Gerald Green to a vet minimum deal.

They're not exactly dominating the news cycle, but they ARE having a much better offseason thus far than last season.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

But they were supposedly holding part of that MLE for Carmelo, right?

I’m frustrated because I think we are gonna run the same team out there and expect a different result. I like that we resigned those role players but that’s exactly what they are...role players. They just arent gonna move the needle against a now stronger and deeper western conference. They needed to add a difference making player to last year’s core; preferably someone with size in the front court. But they havent done that. Seems they are content to “run it back” and that’s upsetting to see when so many teams are taking risks and making moves to get better.

16. valorita

valorita Member

What is our current salary commitments total?
    121million?

And what is the hardcap?

daywalker02 likes this.