1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nene declines option with Rockets, becomes free agent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TBJr7, Jun 29, 2019.

1. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

hahahahaha he must be desperate!! I actually like the guy, but I don't trust he'll ever be a solid 3pt threat.

2. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

@Os Trigonum time to get an even better profile pic

LUK3, Os Trigonum and topfive like this.
  3. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Rockets could potentially have the full MLE(if they don’t get Butler) with him off the books now

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I'm extremely interested in this for whatever reason.

I dont think he opts out because he doesnt wanna get traded. Or that he is retiring, yet.

I think there is an understanding between him and the front office that opting out and coming back for the minimum doesnt cost him much money. While vastly helps the rockets under a hard cap situation.

He has no incentive to do this, outside of being generous, so I'm speculating maybe he transitions to a player-coach role. With an agreement that we will give him a job as a coach in some facility when he retires.

Anyways, NeNe was great here even if he didnt play much at all last year. I know hes a great locker room guy and of course my love for codman morphes onto him as well.

Best of luck to whatever he decides to do.

5. MC31B

MC31B Member

Their mle just got bigger.

amaru likes this.
  6. bmd

bmd Member

No, but if the Rockets are hard-capped in a Butler deal, that $3.8 million in room could allow them to use the full $9.2 million MLE and however much the BAE is.

They otherwise might not have had enough room to use it. They might have only been able to use $6 million of it, for example. But with a little more breathing room, they could use the whole thing.

7. Caprah

Caprah Member

Nene was done.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I have absolutely nothing but love for Ne. Dude always did what was right for the sake of the team. Whether it be a positive role model for our star, take less money or a lesser role.

We may have not always gotten the player that Ne once was, but he gave us what he had and I really appreciate that.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Man having Nene opt in and the retire would have been a great trade chip .

10. xaos

xaos Member

Man, I don't know why any player would want to come here with how some of y'all talk about these players. Nene gave us nothing but net positive value. Hard to really say anything negative about him.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This makes no sense whatsoever. He will not get $3.8m anywhere, not with the Rockets or anywhere else. Why turn it down?

Something fishy going on here.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nene was a true professional for us. Age caught up with him unfortunately. He won the playoffs series against OKC with his excellent 28 points. He even helped us beat the Jazz in the latest playoffs series. I will miss him, and I hope he will be back as an assistant coach with the Houston Rockets some day.

Rockets Rule and LUK3 like this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It opens up a good amount of cap space. Like 3 mil or so. I’m very okay with that, especially if we get Butler and are hard capped, though it looks like that ship has sailed

amaru and pippendagimp like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

was under the impression mle was independent of all of this. if this is indeed true, good to know.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

He’s going to get a director of directing job paying $3.8 million next year with the rockets.

His job duties will be as follows:

17. biff17

biff17 Member

Dude you are just miserable.

EugeneK likes this.
  18. biff17

biff17 Member

Who is saying it does?

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jackass this was Nene doing Hou a big solid. If we are hard capped by a Butler S&T his salary would have really hurt us.

Major respect to Nene for doing this favor, especially considering he was supposed to have an additional year on his deal in the first place but Morey forgot about the 38 rule.

@Codman, is Nene coming back on the min, finding a city to settle down with his family, or potentially retiring?

20. biff17

biff17 Member

The MLE is 5.7 motor over the Cap teams u less I am missing something.