1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How else could they do it other than thru the media and not be "tampering"?

Yeah , it'll be a mess if they don't get it done ….

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Vintage Daryl for good luck this weekend. Too much negative energy. Positive push.

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

There was no reason to publicly announce that they were shopping Capela, Gordon and Tucker for picks. Nor was their a reason to publicly announce that they have a trade lined up for Clint Capela provided Butler commits to being a Rocket. All of that information should have stayed in house.

HoustonCRT likes this.
  4. Game7

Game7 Member

If they don’t get traded, they are happy to be here making millions. Not sure what the “mess” is. Gordon has been on the block publicly for the last year. These people are professionals. Part of the business is getting traded. Capela would be the only one I might be worried about just because he is young and possibly more mentally fragile. Not worried about PJ at all in that regard.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Of course there is a reason to do it that way. You may not like the reason, but there are certainly scenarios where this actually makes sense.

Eg1 Butler opts IN.
    How do you make sure the 76ers trade him? By creating the narrative of him wanting out so that it is untenable for them to turn around and not trade him

Eg2 Butler opts OUT
    Houston wants a S&T and rlwamts it done fast and so requires Philly to cooperate. Generate the market and the hype so you can negotiate terms and use the media to put the pressure on them to get it done.

It wouldn't be hard to think of further reasons as to why this could make sense to leak information....

Hakeemtheking and withmustard like this.
  6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You are blowing this out of proportion. The coach and players should be pissed that they couldn't get the job done when it was there for the taking right before them. They get paid millions of dollars. This is part of the deal.

Vivi, Game7, Hakeemtheking and 2 others like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets could do all of those things without constantly leaking it to the media.

DVauthrin likes this.
  8. DVauthrin

Someone can make millions of dollars and still not be happy at their job. Also, while being traded comes with the territory in the NBA, if you think trade rumors don’t affect a player’s psyche and overall performance, you are crazy. If your company openly announced they were interviewing someone else for your position, you would have a hard time staying positive and motivated to give your employer your best every day. The difference is you and I can willingly leave in that situation. Professional athletes can’t.

Take Eric Gordon. Professional or not, he now knows that the Rockets have willingly included him in trade discussions for Jimmy Butler two seasons in a row. At this point, he probably is counting the days until he becomes a free agent at the end of the season and can leave Houston behind. If he could break his contract and leave now, he likely would. Sure, he’s still going to be motivated to play well to secure another big contract next off season, but do you think he really gives a damn about the success of the Rockets organization at this point?

Clint Capela knows the Rockets want to trade him and even have a trade worked out in case they get Butler. It’s going to be difficult for him to give his all to an organization that has publicly admitted they don’t want him anymore.

Bottom line: What’s good for business is keeping trade discussions and rumors private.

9. DVauthrin

No, he’s not. Money doesn’t automatically equal happiness, nor does it mean you have to be willing to put up with extra bullshit at work, either. All the Rockets had to do was keep their trade negotiations and free agency plans inside the front office, and none of this is an issue.

10. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

To all the people out there that believe Butler will be a Rocket, please temper your expectations. This is not even close to a likely scenario at the moment and hasnt been from the get go.

Someone in the front office, cough, owner, has let negotiations leak and this is what is driving the narrative. Watch over the next 24 to 48 hours as this plan begins to fall apart. Jimmy has been quite silent on the matter.

The most likely scenario is a 5 year max deal in Philly. After that, I have heard he likes the Lakers, and now we are hearing whispers of Miami as well. But no mention of Houston.

RocketRed84 and amaru like this.
  11. Ratman

Ratman Member

Im usually on the players side but yeah. This.

12. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I think multiple insiders on the board have mentioned JB likes Houston.

I doubt he ends up here but I definitely think he will think about it

amaru likes this.
  13. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I’m certain he will be a rocket. I believe a lot of the negotiations centers around Morey and Co trying to get more assets from what’s about to happen. We will see Capela traded in which we receive multiple assets back ... same for EG. All speculation but I’m ready.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He can opt in on the condition that he's traded to X team(s).

15. amaru

amaru Member

If and when Butler chooses another team besides Houston (for whatever reason) this board is going to meltdown! I'm looking forward to the sh*tastic threads that will be created. It's going to be 100x worse than the trade deadline.

16. JW86

JW86 Member

Rockets organisation is really becoming a sad excuse for a professionally run business with incompetent loud mouths. I remember when Morey did deals that didn’t leak and came out of the blue. This thing will blow up in their faces big time.

Stormy1234 and amaru like this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Sure. And Philly can ask for some recompense, or just refuse to follow through.

So to show them we have a pick lined up, create a stir in the media.

I dunno - not saying it is the way to go, but it is at least plausible as a reason to do it this way - I was simply answering the objection that there are no reasons to leak. Sure there are.

18. deshen

deshen Member

1. Butler wants fat paycheck, 2. Butler wants to have more opportunities on the court. I am not sure that Rockets can pay him more than other teams and he certainly won't get more opportunities on the court in Rockets than in 76ers or Twolves. There are market for him, I think it is very unlikely he will be here next season.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Which generates how much media pressure? But of course they could also do it all behind closed doors. It doesn't mean there is NO reason to leak, just that isn't the way some people would go about it.

20. lionaire

lionaire Member