1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Undisputed] Butler not going to fit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jun 27, 2019.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My bad. I should said 4 different sources. Shannon Sharpe.
    The only way that this trio can work together is to let CP3 take the lead. Harden cannot continue to play his style of basketball.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

the fact that u cling to their opinions and hold them in such high regard is straight up embarrassing...if your 4 sources are Jay Williams, Shannon Sharpe, Stephen A, and Chris Broussard, then LMAO

RayRay10, luckyman76 and jordnnnn like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

The team has already said they'd play less ISO this year. And MDA has a history of success with non-ISO offenses in Phoenix.

If we're able to land Butler, the only real problem is filling out the roster. And Morley seems to be able to pull off things that most GMs can't.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Losing Capela and Gordan is not going to gut our roster and that is the only feasible scenario to get JB. We cannot sign him as a Free Agent so it has to be opt in or sign and trade. I can easily see a roster that looks something like this after a sign and trade with a third team involved:

CP3
    Harden
    JB
    Tucker
    Looney

Rivers
    Hartenstein
    House
    Clark
    J. Crawford or other ancient shooter.
    Gerald Green
    One of our signed undrafted rookies

Starting five would be better this year. Bench would be worse. Hartenstein > Nene.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm not agreeing with them. They are agreeing with me.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it will be a problem because with 3 stars the ball will move around more.

7. icewill36

icewill36 Member

It seems datoni would love a faster pace, more player and ball movement, but it seems James prefers this way. He likes to ISO and get numbers and be in MVP consideration every year. I’m not calling him selfish or saying that’s all that matters to him, but it seems what he is more comfortable with.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is Jimmy Butler and not Klay Thompson or Iguodala. Another ISO player.

9. onreego

onreego Member

Does Eric play that role?

BaselineFade, Denovo and harold bingo like this.
  10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Alternate theory - Harden ISO with low pace, low ball movement, and low player movement are our most effective plays. They produce the most points, give us the best offense, and give us the highest chance to win, and those are the reasons we run the offense the way we do. It is not Harden's decision. It is not because Harden wants big numbers or wants to win awards.

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This exactly.

Chris Paul is the true leader of this team and leadership is not just about getting in people's faces and whipping them straight, but sometimes also requires making sacrifices. I'm very confident that Paul understands this and will make the right choice to take a backseat to Harden and Butler on offense.

Now, what many of us have been asking the last couple of years instead is a change in the offensive style.

The current isolation system without ball movement is ugly and inefficient in the playoffs where a good defensive team can bring the Rockets to a grinding halt.

In a revised system, Harden and Butler should still get a majority of the shots, but Chris Paul should run the offense like a true point guard. The Rockets were far more productive as a team in the playoffs when Paul was control and ran the show.

Plus, the point of getting Harden all these superstar teammates is to reduce his workload so that he's wear out in the playoffs. Therefore, the biggest change will be in offensive philosophy. For the sake of this team and Harden's legacy, I hope he's open to the idea and willing to make the shift to more ball movement.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Bold prediction.... Rockets lead the league in isolation plays again next year.

Kidding. That’s not bold at all. It won’t be as much as 18/19 when it was 20% of the time, but if people think we aren’t going to rely heavily on what Harden is great at, they are crazy.

13. lionaire

lionaire Member

Welp, pack it up Morey. Mr. Multiple sauces has spoken ;)

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

glad we agree. elston turner hiring is going to do wonders here. he brings the D, but also will probably be tapped to share some princeton offense. I don't think (with butler or not) that we will abandon the iso. i don't really care if its ugly as long as we win, and we have been effective with that. i think our option 1 is harden iso as long as it remains the best point per possession play in the league. i assume butler iso will be #2. however, paul just can't iso anymore and having him run a motion offense is very effective. i expect something like this:

paul-harden-butler lineups = mix (leaning iso)
    harden-butler, no paul = iso
    paul-butler, no harden = motion

i think harden will be open to more motion if he doesnt have to burn his legs carrying our whole offense for 40 minutes.

ghettocheeze and JW86 like this.
  15. photojoe

photojoe Member

I disagree

The show's name needs to be changed to "Disputed"

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I hear you. Rox are chasing names and Butler is the latest name. You already have a lame duck coach in D'Antoni (aka dead coach walking). You have CP3 and Harden sniping at each other so what do you do? You go out and bust up the team to get Butler because he is a star (while ignoring the fact that he'll be on his 4th team in 3 years and there's a reason for that). But when you consider yourself to be the smartest guy in the room (Morey) you ignore facts and reality to listen to your own hubris. I just don't see this ending well at all.

17. biff17

biff17 Member

Broussard did not make any good points, his entire premise was one of the Paul experiment did not work.

we have be had 2 good to great seasons.

His entire argument is that Harden and Paul can't play together and have friction, he is continuing to run with this off seasons narrative which has been reported as not true.

So tell us what good points are they making?

BaselineFade and RayRay10 like this.
  18. gogispade

gogispade Member

Last time Muray had had a hardon for someone was when he traded big part of the team for CP. Media were all over that, saying there is only one ball, they cannot cooexist, etc etc.. but rockets were close to finals that year. I still think, no matter of this year, that we could take down the warriors last year, if CP healthy.

If that is the same case here, the Butler trade, in DM I trust!

19. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Trading for Butler is a risk, but the Rockets are in a position where they need to take risks. Nevermind not beating the Warriors, I'm not sure they could have taken the Raptors or Bucks in the finals if they had made it. The roster needs some kind of change and they need a secondary star so they're not just relying on Paul to save them if Harden is having a bad game.

20. wesbound

wesbound Member

Exactly!
    No other team is even doing **** against the warriors during these last 4-5 years except for the rockets. Everyone is just waiting for the warriors to fall apart when the rockets are doing everything they could to tackle them. Instead of giving them props for doing something they ignore what other teams haven't done & ignoring the 27 team that fails to do anything about it.
    These morons kept repeating this style or MDA system can't win basketball.... this could be said about 29 other teams that fail to beat the warriors but not one single idiot sees it & just keep repeating that MDA system can't win a championship while the rockets is the only team that gave the warriors the toughest match.

Raptors won the ring this year... but did they really win? I know injuries are part of the game and the warriors finally experience their share all in one year since they were healthy in the past few years in the playoff & when it counts.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.